A little help here: Crocodile Dundee hat and knife sharpener "charms"

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently acquired the Mick Dundee hat from Miller Hats (the most accurate one available). I love this thing. Though I want it to be completely accurate, I'll be damned if I'm going to add the stitched slash! :lol However, I did notice that the leather lacing that comes off the back of his hat has a few (what appears to be) small ivory charms added to the tips. These same charms are also dangling from the end of his sharpening stick that you see in his knife sheath.

What at the hell are these things?!

I'm also in the process of doing a close enough knife and case and I'd like to add the charms to the hat and knife.

It's a long shot, but I thought I would reach out to the community to see if anyone has any idea.

crocodile_dundee_knife_by_hellfireforge-dadclk9.jpg

Last edited:
hey Funky,

Looks to me like vertebrae from either a rabbit or a wallaby. Croc vertebrae would make more sense but they are really wide and nothing like the ones attached.

VCollection+%25282%2529.jpg

Wow, vertebrae. Who knew?
I can't thank you guys enough for your help. Now the hunt begins...

Well I say "rattlesnake". His hat does have a snake headband. What KIND of snake it is I honestly don't know.

OOPS.
I googled "Crocodile Dundee hat replica" and they have croc skin. It didn't occur to me that the replicas would be that wrong.

I agree it looks like snake skin to me.

25f27dund1-491522.jpg

Looks like a skin from a Rough Scaled Snake Tropidechis carinatus a venomous snake in Australia. Good luck getting one of those.

Tropidechis-carinatus_1116_640.png

Yep. You can see a couple of the black dots along the top edge of the snake head band that match the black dots on the snake.

Similar non-venomous snakes that have similar skin would be the pituophis family i.e. the pine blow snakes Pituophis melanoleucus, bull snakes Pituophis catenifer sayi, and gopher snakes Pituophis catenifer deserticola of North America. But it may be illegal to kill snakes (it is in my state) in your area. You might find a tanned version from a skin farm online.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back