What is your favourite Graflex lightsaber version?

For me its the Empire Saber. Love the dual red buttons and the notched grips. Empire caught me at a good age and really stuck with me. To this day a snowy day reminds me of Hoth. Lol

Couldn't have said it better myself. ESB had much better views of Luke's saber during the movie. I was 11 when it came out and paid more attention to details like that. Not everyone had VCR's back then (I know we didn't) and I didn't get to see A New Hope on VHS until 1984.

I have most respect for the Luke ANH for the brilliant epiphany of using a vintage flash handle as a prop. But I think that the ESB looks better. Not because of the double button (perhaps that was just an on-set emergency decision), but because of the six grips, the notches with fasteners, the edge connector card and the amazing Kobold part!

Its funny to think that one little obscure camera flash has become an icon in the sci fi universe. How would it have gone had it been something made just for the film and not a found object.

Its funny to think that one little obscure camera flash has become an icon in the sci fi universe. How would it have gone had it been something made just for the film and not a found object.

Look at the Prequels lightsabers and there's your answer . . . nothing beats a G R A F L E X by a long shot . . . oh and Han shot first :wacko ... I still need to finish my ANH with all vintage parts - minus my custom designed D-ring - I just love those vintage Exactra bubbles ... ESB was the first time I ever laid my eyes on a lightsaber though ... so for me ESB followed closely by ANH :)

Chaim

ANH for its clean lines and originality followed by the ESB for its hot rod like nature.

I think the bubble strips definitely speak to an older order (Obi Wan's saber's bubbles) vs. the more modern looking cards.
Much like analog tube amps vs. the modern tech.

And the ANH was my first real build as well...

I feel like I've commented in this before but I've never much cared for the Graflex all that much. I think it's just because of the merchandising made from it which gives it a commonality which kinda makes it boring to me. However, given the choices, I much prefer the ANH. In fact, I much prefer the aesthetic set in ANH much more than in the later films. There's a certain austerity to it that I like. The ANH Graflex hilt is a great example, it's just some t-track and a bubble strip; very clean, very utilitarian. The ESB I find to be too clunky-looking.

The Vader Graflex ROTJ!!! No, it really is a toss up between the ANH & ESB for me. I go back and forth but mostly it's ESB because of the notched grips and kobold clip (both of which are improvements over the original). I like the glass eye/bubble strip vs two red buttons/circuit board equally. While the TFA has a good mix I really don't like it's shortened grips.

I feel like I've commented in this before but I've never much cared for the Graflex all that much. I think it's just because of the merchandising made from it which gives it a commonality which kinda makes it boring to me. However, given the choices, I much prefer the ANH. In fact, I much prefer the aesthetic set in ANH much more than in the later films. There's a certain austerity to it that I like. The ANH Graflex hilt is a great example, it's just some t-track and a bubble strip; very clean, very utilitarian. The ESB I find to be too clunky-looking.

True 'dat... but we all get our magic somewhere... or we wouldn't be here...

ANH by a long shot for me. The grips look cleaner than the ESB/TFA and I really don't like the two red buttons of the ESB.

Last edited:
I gotta admit though, during my teenage years, the ROTJ Lukes V2 was my fave for a number of years. Even though it was a custom made prop, there was something unique about it and so is definitely in my top 3
Star-Wars-Return-Of-The-Jedi-Luke-Skywalker-s-V2-Lightsaber-3.jpg

Seeing as I'm finally going to be the proud owner of one as soon as JQ Sabers' stainless edition is ready, I'll throw my two cents in. The ESB has been one of a few grail props for me. Like a lot of people, though, I hate the button in place of the glass eye. TFA fixed this, and I'm grateful to have a canon version now of my "mind's eye" Luke Graflex. But it really feels like picking between children. They're all beautiful pieces.

ESB version all the way!

I love the asymmetrical red buttons, the S curve/bulb holder combo for the emitter, and as others mentioned the card over the bubbles and notched grips vs plain, and kobold clip.

The ANH is the classic and original and I have no problem calling it that... the ESB is the one that speaks to me and I love.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back