Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

MINE ARRIVED!!!!

I.

Am.

Not.

Worthy.

This kit has the finest, most intricate detail I have ever seen! I seriously think I heard angels singing...

Really, at a time like this, after 40 years of waiting, there's only one thing to say about finally getting this kit:

I am going to SCREW this up!!! :cheers

Glad your arrived safe and sound. :thumbsup

Having screwed the pooch on my Zvezda/Revell, I know better than spend $400 on a kit.

LOL. I'm with ya', Hunk 'O. This kit is ridiculous. Pure, unadulterated SW model geekery.

I looked at the frets with the piping (that are packaged in separate box for obvious reasons) for about 30 seconds, then CAREFULLY returned them to their box....where they'll safely stay (probably on a separate shelf) until the second I need to affix them. :)

I was looking for the figures and could not find them, after going over the sprues in the main box several times it was only then that I realized there was actually more sprues in that box.

For some reason I had mistakenly assumed it was the lighting stuff since most of the lighting kits from Bandai things have been in a separate box from the sprues and just didn't bother looking in it :facepalm

Plugged in all the lights to the power module to test it out. I got one bulb not working, uhhh! The other light works on the same harness, so either a bad bulb or connection most likely...

I should ask, is anyone else not planning on using their lights?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A couple observations after spending a little time carefully examining the sprues. The detail is even more miniature than I expected. Seeing pictures online, the detail is so sharp and so, well, detailed that I imagined every piece being bigger. You could blow this kit up to the size of the actual 5-footer and the details would still be perfect. It's THAT good. Because of this, one problem I foresee (at least for me) is that too much paint is going to clog and cover some of the exquisite detail. I plan to black base like ILM did, so I'll need to find the finest, silkiest black primer in existence. I don't think a rattle can will cut it. I'd even be scared to use Tamiya Fine White primer. I also spent time time comparing greeblies to the part I.D. maps our RPF heroes have made (bless you guys, wherever you are) and the PG lives up to its name. It's perfect. In some ways, it's sharper than some of the 5-footer parts that look like they've been cast. I'm sure someone will find some minor flaws soon, but I couldn't find any. None. There looks like there might be some seams that I'll probably glue and putty, like the join line between the two lower hull pieces, but I'm not complaining. I didn't even touch the box containing the piping. I feel like first I should invest in super-sensitive remote manipulator arms and an electron microscope! The kit is bananas.

Lastly, I whipped out a spare MPC hull to show my wife why I spent so much on this kit (her response, "Is this the part where I'm supposed to feign interest?" Love her.) and two things. First, the MPC hull is actually fairly faithful to the 5-footer in that you can see where they at least tried to copy the detail using the primitive stone knives and brear skins of the day. The hull plating is a surprisingly close match and the perimeter dimensions are reasonable. Second, they really REALLY screwed up by making the MPC so flat. Compared to the PG, there's barely a hull curvature at all. It's like the designers just couldn't imagine the hull being clamshells and were forced to compensate with the tall sidewalls. It throws everything off. It's a pity because if they'd just gotten that ONE thing right, that kit wouldn't have given so many so much frustration over the years.

Lastly, this kit was crazy expensive. I'll never spend this much again (I hope). Was it worth it? Absolutely. It's not just a hunk of plastic. It's a whole new level of modelmaking art. I'm seriously afraid to touch it too much. Look, just get one. Take out another mortgage, sell the kids... do whatever you've got to do. You won't be disappointed.

I thought I was going to putty the seam line on the bottom too, but there was no need. That seam will be covered by other parts, namely the corridor panels on the underside. It is a very snug fit with those panels so be careful with gluing and putty. The corridor panels will push it snug. The panels may not fit properly if the two halves are not glued just right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

...one problem I foresee (at least for me) is that too much paint is going to clog and cover some of the exquisite detail. I plan to black base like ILM did, so I'll need to find the finest, silkiest black primer in existence...

Don't use primer. Hobby paints are made to bond to plastic, there's really no need for primer unless you've done a lot of putty work, which won't apply to this kit. Just use a basic black paint as the first coat. You may want to look into the Mr. Paint lacquers, they have a very thin and smooth finish based on all I've seen about them. If you'd prefer to stick with something like Tamiya, thin it heavily with Mr. Hobby leveling thinner which is a lacquer based thinner.

Mr. Hobby and Mr. Paint are not the same brand, which may be confusing. Mr. Paint lacquers come from Slovakia.

So I've been doing a ton of research on the Millennium Falcon 5ft filming miniature because I just received my Bandai 1/72 Falcon. Archive-X has made a BEAUTIFUL line of paints replicating the Floquil Model Colors used on the model in 1976. Those are absolutely the way to go if you have the means.

However, their paints are a bit pricey for some. Others like myself, just don't want to use enamels. To that end, I have heavily researched paint equivalents based on Archive-X's recommended colors of reproducing A New Hope's Falcon with Vallejo Model Air. I have listed the color conversions below. Now, I don't know which panels which colors go on everything. But the ones I do know, I have made a note next to them. Hope you find this info useful.

EDIT: Disclaimer: These conversions are NOT exact to the 1975 Floquil colors. They are merely a close "ball park" approximation, but still better than just eyeballing a paint rack at a hobby shop. After weathering, you are going to change the hue/lightness anyway. Even if we all started with the 1975 colors, our Falcons would all look different anyway due to our own weathering techniques. If you want the absolutely EXACT color, you need the Archive-X paints.

ANH Falcon Colors

VMA = Vallejo Model Air, VGA = Vallejo Game Air

Floquil Grime - VMA White Grey 71.119 (Slightly off White Tannish Panels?)

Floquil Reefer White
- VMA White 71.001 (BASE COLOR)

Floquil Reefer Gray - VMA Cement Grey 71.045 (Majority of Dark Panels)

Floquil Concrete - VMA Concrete 71.131 (1 part) + VMA Aged White 71.132 (1 part)

Floquil Foundation - VGA 72.734 BoneWhite (needs to be lightened with white slightly)

Flowquil Reefer Yellow - VMA Gold Yellow 71.078 (Yellow Panels)

Floquil Boxcar Red - VMA Fire Red 71.084 (Red Panels)

Floquil Depot Buff - VMA Yellow Ochre 71.033 (3 parts) + VMA LIGHT BROWN 71.027 (2 parts)

Floquil SP Lettering Grey
- VMA Light Gull Gray 71.121 (note: base color of AT-AT studio model)

Floquil SP Lark L.T. Grey - VMA Gray Violet 71.128

Floquil SP Lark D.K. Grey - VMA Dark Sea Grey 71.048

Last edited by a moderator:

So I've been doing a ton of research on the Millennium Falcon 5ft filming miniature because I just received my Bandai 1/72 Falcon. Archive-X has made a BEAUTIFUL line of paints replicating the Floquil Model Colors used on the model in 1976. Those are absolutely the way to go if you have the means.

However, their paints are a bit pricey for some. Others like myself, just don't want to use enamels. To that end, I have heavily researched paint equivalents based on Archive-X's recommended colors of reproducing A New Hope's Falcon with Vallejo Model Air. I have listed the color conversions below. Now, I don't know which panels which colors go on everything. But the ones I do know, I have made a note next to them. Hope you find this info useful.

ANH Falcon Colors

VMA = Vallejo Model Air, VGA = Vallejo Game Air

Floquil Grime - VMA White Grey 71.119 (Slightly off White Tannish Panels?)

Floquil Reefer White
- VMA White 71.001 (BASE COLOR)

Floquil Reefer Gray - VMA US Light Grey 71.045 (Majority of Dark Panels)

Floquil Concrete - VMA Concrete 71.131(1 part) + VMA Aged White 71.132(1 part)

Floquil Foundation - VGA 72.734 BoneWhite (needs to be lightened with white slightly)

Flowquil Reefer Yellow - VMA Gold Yellow 71.078 (Yellow Panels)

Floquil Boxcar Red - VMA Fire Red 71.084 (Red Panels)

Floquil Depot Buff - VMA Yellow Ochre 71.033(3 parts) + VMA LIGHT BROWN 71.027(2 parts)

Floquil SP Lettering Grey
- VMA Light Gull Gray 71.121 (note: base color of AT-AT studio model)

Floquil SP Lark L.T. Grey - VMA Gray Violet 71.128

Floquil SP Lark D.K. Grey - VMA Dark Sea Grey 71.048

EDIT:

....sorry to repost this here,....( I posted this reminder on the 'New Star Wars Paints' thread)

it's worth noting that there is a possibility that some of these conversion charts could be off,...Floquil / Testors changed the hues over the years,....this conversion chart wouldn't be matched to the vintage paint that ILM used back in the day,....the name on the product is the same, but the colours are dramatically different

Guy Cowan's Archive X (the name 'Archive' for a reason),....is matched to the 70's stuff

J

A couple more images of the Archive X paint used on the PG Falcon painted by John Simmons

23472481_10157337342163868_7334376269919265196_n.jpg

23517547_10157337342073868_233078591266161451_n.jpg

23517560_10157326970103868_6816520940306266288_n.jpg

I need this kit in my life!!

J

A couple observations after spending a little time carefully examining the sprues. The detail is even more miniature than I expected. Seeing pictures online, the detail is so sharp and so, well, detailed that I imagined every piece being bigger. You could blow this kit up to the size of the actual 5-footer and the details would still be perfect. It's THAT good. Because of this, one problem I foresee (at least for me) is that too much paint is going to clog and cover some of the exquisite detail. I plan to black base like ILM did, so I'll need to find the finest, silkiest black primer in existence. I don't think a rattle can will cut it. I'd even be scared to use Tamiya Fine White primer. I also spent time time comparing greeblies to the part I.D. maps our RPF heroes have made (bless you guys, wherever you are) and the PG lives up to its name. It's perfect. In some ways, it's sharper than some of the 5-footer parts that look like they've been cast. I'm sure someone will find some minor flaws soon, but I couldn't find any. None. There looks like there might be some seams that I'll probably glue and putty, like the join line between the two lower hull pieces, but I'm not complaining. I didn't even touch the box containing the piping. I feel like first I should invest in super-sensitive remote manipulator arms and an electron microscope! The kit is bananas.

Lastly, I whipped out a spare MPC hull to show my wife why I spent so much on this kit (her response, "Is this the part where I'm supposed to feign interest?" Love her.) and two things. First, the MPC hull is actually fairly faithful to the 5-footer in that you can see where they at least tried to copy the detail using the primitive stone knives and brear skins of the day. The hull plating is a surprisingly close match and the perimeter dimensions are reasonable. Second, they really REALLY screwed up by making the MPC so flat. Compared to the PG, there's barely a hull curvature at all. It's like the designers just couldn't imagine the hull being clamshells and were forced to compensate with the tall sidewalls. It throws everything off. It's a pity because if they'd just gotten that ONE thing right, that kit wouldn't have given so many so much frustration over the years.

Lastly, this kit was crazy expensive. I'll never spend this much again (I hope). Was it worth it? Absolutely. It's not just a hunk of plastic. It's a whole new level of modelmaking art. I'm seriously afraid to touch it too much. Look, just get one. Take out another mortgage, sell the kids... do whatever you've got to do. You won't be disappointed.

Great to hear yours has arrived,....nice review.....& paying homage to the old MPC....

Looking forward to your build

J

I need this kit in my life!!

J

No joke, you really do. It IS the 5-footer. I knew it would be amazing. "Amazing" doesn't come close.

So what do people like/recommend for a black primer? It's got to be super fine, not rattle can, leave no grain, and be reasonably bullet-proof (to show through during Dremel damage and scraping). I'm ruling out Archive -X paints for the top coats, unfortunately, because they're enamel.

Don't use primer. Hobby paints are made to bond to plastic, there's really no need for primer unless you've done a lot of putty work, which won't apply to this kit. Just use a basic black paint as the first coat. You may want to look into the Mr. Paint lacquers, they have a very thin and smooth finish based on all I've seen about them. If you'd prefer to stick with something like Tamiya, thin it heavily with Mr. Hobby leveling thinner which is a lacquer based thinner.

Mr. Hobby and Mr. Paint are not the same brand, which may be confusing. Mr. Paint lacquers come from Slovakia.

Interesting. I've always been on the fence about primer. Some say it's a necessity, others not so much. With the PG, anything I can do to minimize the amount of paint and keep it from obscuring the details the better. I'll look into it. Thanks, robn1!

I'm actually considering skipping the primer step. I did that for the most part with my Fine Molds falcon (I did spray the engine vent area with black primer) as well as my Bandai 1/72 X-wing and Y-wing. I went straight to AS-20 for the X and Y and went with AS-16 followed by AS-20 for the Falcon. I used oil washes and pastels instead to bring out the details or add darker areas.

Although I did use the black basing method for the 1/48 X-wing and Snowspeeder and liked the results.

it's a tough call. I'm afraid of ruining some of the finer detail

I've even considered just matte varnishing it and then weathering it

Man, I want someone else to be the guinea pig on this one! :lol

I think I might run some experiments on the landing gear sprue. I'm likely not going to display it with the gear (since I'm copying the ANH 5-footer) and even if I change my mind the gear would be weathered with dirt and debris anyway.

Here's a couple of reviews on the Mr. Paint lacquers:

I haven't used them myself, but I will check it out for myself on a smaller kit before trying it on the Falcon. But everything I hear about it is positive, no negatives except maybe for smell.

I've always tried to keep paint coats to a minimum. Even using gloss paints when there were decals so I could avoid a clear gloss coat. Never used primer on a plastic kit, the only time I ever had a problem with paint lifting off was when I used a craft paint not made for models.

The only concern I would have here is the Bandai plastic, from what some have said it seems different than what most other manufacturers use. If paint doesn't seem to bond well use some Duplicolor adhesion promoter, it's very thin like alcohol so it won't cause build up.

The only concern I would have here is the Bandai plastic, from what some have said it seems different than what most other manufacturers use. If paint doesn't seem to bond well use some Duplicolor adhesion promoter, it's very thin like alcohol so it won't cause build up.

Tamiya paints had no problem bonding to the plastic. I use TS-32, AS-20 and the XF bottles of flat red and yellow directly on Bandai plastic with no ill effects or sticking issues. I also used oil washes thinned with Weber oderless turpenoid over those coats with no issues as well

I believe the AS paints and maybe even the TS ones are laquers

...one problem I foresee (at least for me) is that too much paint is going to clog and cover some of the exquisite detail. I plan to black base like ILM did, so I'll need to find the finest, silkiest black primer in existence...

If I were you, I'd use acrylic paints, then. In my experience, acrylics go on much thinner than enamels or lacquers.
And you can use regular paint as primer. The trick is to spray it on in little bursts and slowly build it up, rather than just spraying for coverage like you would with a color coat.

One thing I noticed after doing the first few construction steps is that you can easily swap out the clear plastic canopy for the open canopy piece--it's just held on by a little peg right at the front so it pulls on or off very easily. Not sure about the gun turret windows. The cockpit lighting looks great too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back