suggestions for beginners!

Cinsev

Hi!

ive been around the site for ages looking and drooling. if you were to offer suggestions to a new builder/designer what would they be? what sorts of beginner projects would you suggest? it can be a bit daunting i must admit but over all im excited to get trying, ive fiddled around with the insulation foam method of props and that is a bit frustrating and time consuming. not looking for short cuts though. also currectly space to work is a bit of a factor. but im open to all pointers since im but an apprentice :)

ivebeen an illustrator and animator for many years so i imagine these skills will come in handy.

anyway thanks for reading and i hope people chime in with good starter suggestions for projects and the like.

Rob

1-Never EVER rush... You will, but don't say I didn't warn you:).
2-Nothing is ever on a budget... Not for long anyways. You can pick up a $5 pistol for a costume party because you are on a "budget" one day, and a month later you will have put another $30 into modding it without thinking about it. Trust me. I've done it lol.
3- this hobby is for having fun. If you like accuracy and that is what gives you Joy then go for accuracy. If you just want to do it just because then do that. Whatever makes you happy because it's your money, and time.
4-No prop is ever really finished. And if it is, you will probably make another one right after you finish it despite how many times you cut, or burned yourself;).

Glad you've decided to jump into this hobby and there are MANY talented people out there who can help. If you need anything feel free to drop me or anyone else here a line and don't be scared to do so.

Best wishes,
Mike M.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Don't underestimate the usefulness of eye protection.
Don't drink and build...it NEVER looks better in the morning!
Don't use a butter knife in place of a flat head screwdriver. Always use the proper tool for the job.
Don't throw anything away if you MAY be able to use it later, because you will.
Finally, when the wife asks how much you spent on it, lie. This is the solid foundation for any prop builder and his wife.

Good luck.
Don't lose a finger.

Don't use a butter knife in place of a flat head screwdriver. Always use the proper tool for the job.
Finally, when the wife asks how much you spent on it, lie. This is the solid foundation for any prop builder and his wife.

Good luck.
Don't lose a finger.
I actually witnessed a kid get his eye impaled with a chunk of wood not too long ago. The smallest item can cause the worst pain in the world. DONT underestimate eye protection. Please!

Good luck.
Don't lose a finger.

What happens when the wife looks at the bank account and says WTF?:lol think you nailed it man...:lol

Do check the Paper Props subforum. There are a lot of things that you can do with a printer and paper or transparency...
Some props require the paper to look old and there are a few techniques for distressing paper.
A lot of the fun in this hobby is exploring and learning different techniques. Paper props are generally safe (no dust or weird chemicals), do not require much space, and can be quickly rewarding.

Next, repaint a toy gun to make it look real and worn ... and/or fit into a sci-fi theme. Check out the techniques for masking, blackwashing and dry-brushing.
There are lots of threads on that. There are also many videos on Youtube about it. There are also several techniques for painting fake wood-grain if you want to do that.

Don't confuse the bottle of water you have been drinking with the denatured alcohol you have been cleaning your airbrush with.

Can't stress enough face and eye protection!
Don't rush! Mistakes happen that way. Also you will be much happier with your end results. Sandpaper is cheap. Change it often as Adam Savage says. Build for yourself. Don't make something cause you think others will like it.

Keep a well stocked first aid kit in your work area. Its always a pain to keep the dog away from the blood trail to the bathroom. In all seriousness grab yourself one of these:
uvex.jpg
Its lightweight, has good visibility, and as an added bonus the lense is non-fogging. Its also roomy enough to accommodate a respirator under the shield.

I had a dremel cutting wheel disintegrate and a chunk of the cutting wheel hit that shield right about where my cheekbone would be if I was just wearing safety goggles.

Hi!

ive been around the site for ages looking and drooling. if you were to offer suggestions to a new builder/designer what would they be? what sorts of beginner projects would you suggest? it can be a bit daunting i must admit but over all im excited to get trying, ive fiddled around with the insulation foam method of props and that is a bit frustrating and time consuming. not looking for short cuts though. also currectly space to work is a bit of a factor. but im open to all pointers since im but an apprentice :)

ivebeen an illustrator and animator for many years so i imagine these skills will come in handy.

anyway thanks for reading and i hope people chime in with good starter suggestions for projects and the like.

Rob

What you start with is dependent on what your interests are, with which genre, and which shows and movies. Look in the "Project Runs" section and I'm sure you'll find a lot of stuff that is easy to build for your first time. Pick up some Super Glue and 5 minute epoxy, since most of the kits will probably be resin. Super glue will bond almost instantly and you have a little time with the epoxy to get pieces positioned correctly.

If you're into Star Wars, think about getting a toy Han Solo blaster. They are inexpensive, but not entirely accurate, however you can practice painting and weathering. Similarly, there is also a Blade Runner blaster toy water pistol that can easily be made into something presentable and fairly accurate. If you choose, you can even add LEDs.

I'm sure you know, as you have been here for ages, that if you run into problems you can post questions here.

Good luck.

TazMan2000

hey everybody! these are some great tips and pointers. ill do my best to apply them. also thanks for the warm welcome, makes joining a comunity like this a lot more fun!

Speaking of safety.. has anyone ever tried some cut-proof gloves? Just for when using an exacto or box cutter? I've thought about it before but haven't given it a shot..

we just use a heavy leather glove in the fire department. at auto extrication scenes everything will cut you, havent been cut yet using these gloves, though dexterity suffers.

I can definitely relate to your situation. I'm still in my first year of making and its amazing how much things have changed. The first tip I can give, and I saw some others mention it already, is be patient. Making/prop work, just like most hobbies, isn't something you master quickly. It's easy for beginners to get discouraged when they see people like Adam Savage and other RPF members who make this stuff look super easy when, in reality, it's something you really have to hone over a long time.

The second piece of advice id give is find a place/group where you can really grow. You mentioned being an apprentice, THAT'S AWESOME! You have already cleared two of the toughest, most discouraging hurdles for us beginners to clear. Those hurdles are 1.) Finding a space to work 2.) Finding a support group to learn from and grow with. It's not always super easy to find a maker space or workshop that allows people to come in and be creative and it's even harder to find people to work with who have the time and knowledge to help you grow. GREAT JOB!

My third and final piece of advice would be, don't sweat the small stuff. The most valuable things that we as makers and prop builders can make are mistakes. Mistakes are how we grow and gain experiences. It's one thing to watch someone on YouTube or have someone tell you how or how not to do something, but you'll never truly get it until you've gotten your hands dirty and really tried it yourself and messed it up a couple times.

All that being said, welcome! I hope this place can be as amazing for you as it has been for me.

I agree with the above statements. One thing I have discovered is not to be hard on yourself when your project isn't going as you planned. Your mistakes may look huge to you but others may not even see them. Patience pays off in the end.

I should clarify, imnot officially an apprentice with a prop house or anything i just approach life as a learner. im always an apprentice haha.

sidenote: is anybody going to see adam savages show brain candy? im considering one of the ones here in ontario where you can do a meet and greet. thoughts?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back