Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release)

First off:

Fantastic !!!!!!!! This is a "hella" of alot of fun and I "doug" nearly all of it.

BUTTTTTTTT........

I was surprised about what they did and didn't alter from the trailers again. It doesn't half throw you off when you see scenes that have been redone and changed but on the positive side it made the journey a bit more unpredictable and stronger,but you will be shocked by some of the changes,just keep your eye open for them.

Happily I guess most will be glad to hear they kept the Zeppelin track, it tops and tails the movie and it certainly rocks and by the God of Thunder, what an openning AND finale!!!!! Brilliant.

Tonally ,it kind of felt like "Flash Gordon" at times (though obviously its light years better) with lots of throwback puns (including one to the original "Willie Wonka" movie) , and the visual style and soundtrack felt very retro, particularly once they get off Assgard.

Without wishing to spoil much, if you remember the way you felt about the first time you saw Guardians of the Galaxy, then you will likely to love nearly all of this. I laughed far more often than I thought I would, even though I really liked and enjoyed the directors previous work anyway, and the chemistry between all the cast works fantastically well, with only a couple of jokes falling flat on their face (though I did still howl with laughter and wolfed the bulk of them down without any problems). Its a damn funny movie and it works because the cast were obviously having tons of fun improvising and you'll not need to get help spotting the jokes, they mostly land on the nose.

Kudos to Tessa Thompson AND Taika, I loved what their characters brought to the movie, Jeff G as the grandmaster is played with a very light touch and Cate B is wonderfully over the top, though she did disappear for most of the second half of the film ,when the focus has to be on Thors Revengers, and I even liked Skurges story arc (if not his accent). And ,for once ,Antony Hopkins didn't feel like he slept through most of this (he does the other thing).

I get some people will think the story is "slight" and it is, it has nothing on the scale of "The Winter Soldiers" complexity and the seriously darker under tones ( even though this is Ragnorak) , but there still are some surprising casualties , but ,do you know what, I came out of this with the biggest grin on my face after it and I actually ached a bit from the amount of laughing I'd done.

Job done Taika!!!!

Loved it

PS :Two end of scenes. The first is pretty brief but makes sense it terms of the Infinity Wars, whilst the other at the very end is hardly a revolution in laughs and not essential viewing so you could skip it unless you want to sit through all the VFXs credits (and I think I counted thirteen different companys that supplied them on this film!!!)

Last edited:
Just got back from seeing the film in IMAX 3D and it was AMAZING.
So many links and payoffs from the previous Thor films and great links into the MCU in general.
Another great Stan Lee cameo and 2 bonus post credits scenes.

I'm off to see it again on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoilers ahead

Overall - exactly what it says on the tin. I was laughing out loud at parts, alllllmost emotional at others (back to this soon) and had a joyful time. I don't think I'll be back for second viewing at cinema, but thats more to the nature of the film rather than the film itself. It's a fairly lean story, told well and was very entertaining. I look forward to watching it again in a while on home release.

A worthy addition to the MCU, with a relentless pace and a solid grasp on what film it wanted to be (even if that is something I don't fully love in the context of this character).

I wasn't awed by the fight scenes which were relatively paint by numbers - the action could be followed but didn't seem particularly special. I loved the various character interactions, but disliked that they didn't take some of the ones I loved (Korg) further than they did. It feels like a bit of wasted potential when they included other stuff. It was hard to see Korg or Meek not be developed much/at all beyond cheap laughs after watching Planet Hulk!

I'm absolutely 50/50 on the Dr Strange stuff. It's a nice cameo and an example of whats possible with this shared universe, but ****** it felt forced. Still...his forward floating and mastery (bit soon?) was pretty sick/felt quite cool.

I think the only real main reason I don't utterly love the film is the extremely predictable reason that people will probably dislike - and I hope it isn't taken negatively by anyone that adores the film. I commend the humour in this film - it's silly sometimes, slapstick, smart at times and wonderfully light hearted - which in turn rendered the more emotional moments without gravity. And I'm sure others will disagree, and fair play. Hulk/Banners arc was carried out with almost no emotional engagement. Some of the recipe was there, definitely - they set up that he was afraid to never be Banner etc. And then the hero moment came...and combined with the humour - fell flat. Gutting. Again, with Thor using the "sun getting real low" line - I knew they were going to turn it into a joke (great physical reference with Loki) but it just jarred with me massively.

On the otherhand, the fact we had a Thor that was bullish, goofy and yet showed some of his most self aware and smart moves in this film was great. It wasnt a smooth arc overall through his films but they do manage to tie up his three film arc fairly well. They under served Loki, I think. And I don't really know how to feel about what they did with Odin. Some mixed feelings there.

So overall, irreverent almost to the point of carelessness, but with enough heart and humour to carry an entertaining flick. Enjoyed myself. I think I ever so slightly preferred it to Homecoming.

I was up in the air on this one ever since it was announced...the previous two films didn't do an awful lot for me, and honestly Taika Waititi has done absolutely nothing for me...but after seeing some reviews from reviewers that I like to read, and seeing the first few posts in this thread here, I'm going to be seeing it in a few days.

Rock guy was brilliant, I hope he makes it into infinity wars.

Was not expecting them to kill the warriors three, and especially so swiftly.

I guess Sif was offworld somewhere.

Without any spoilers... it's definitely an enjoyable movie. I love the new take on Thor, Valkyrie was awesome and Loki kills it as usual. However, I do find Hela to be a bit weak of a villan. I also love Hulk's inclusion but I just didn't like how he was dumbed down a lot. Jeff Goldblum was what exactly what you'd expect him to be :lol

The film was really well done nonetheless. In the scene where Thor first meets Hulk at the arena, I actually felt a lot of tension before the Hulk is revealed even though we've seen it in the trailers.

Now here's some more details but with spoilers
- I love how we get both the Unworthy Thor and King Thor looks in this one. Chris Hemsworth really embodied Thor in this one and it seems like he genuinely had fun.
- Valkyrie was awesome. That's all I can say about her :lol
- Loki. Need I say more about him?
- Hela. Honestly at first she was intimidating, but as the movie went on I felt like she was just the typical villain who just wants to take over the world. She's not in it as much as you think. I hate that they killed her in this one. They really REALLY could have used her as Lady Death in Infinity War. IW may not really use Thanos' whole "proving my love" element but it would have been really nice to see her in more MCU films.
- I love Bruce Banner, I think the Hulk was badass, BUT they dumbed down the character a lot. He's either a rage monster or a pouty and butthurt child in this one. By the end when he tries to smash Surtur and Thor yells at him, it felt like he was this kid doing something he shouldn't be doing and he just obeys unwillingly.
- I hoped to see more of Odin. His death happened way too soon and out of the blue. Same with Surtur, seems like he was just in the movie to actually make Ragnarok happen.

Some jokes landed, some didn't for me. Or maybe it's just because I had a slight headache since I was in a different theater from what I was used to and the 3D system was different. That or maybe because some guy was kicking the back of my chair. But overall, good movie.

Considering how Thor's eye ends up, I wonder if the infinity trailer footage was digitally altered so as not to give away spoilers?

Considering how Thor's eye ends up, I wonder if the infinity trailer footage was digitally altered so as not to give away spoilers?

I wondered that. Either that or they use the original footage, and missing eye was completely effect based in other scenes. Might have been a late addition as some fairly heavy handed parallel theme stuff.

My guess is that the mid credit scene ends up in a fight, Thor is "dispelled" from those ships and ends up on the windshield of the Milano.

One thing I realized from the mid-credits scene. I presume that the ship that blocks the Asgardians' is Thanos' ship right? It doesn't look like they just accidentally stumbled into it, it's like they were intentionally blocking its path. But why? Is Thanos coming for Loki? Or Heimdall because he might have the last Infinity Stone?

One thing I realized from the mid-credits scene. I presume that the ship that blocks the Asgardians' is Thanos' ship right? It doesn't look like they just accidentally stumbled into it, it's like they were intentionally blocking its path. But why? Is Thanos coming for Loki? Or Heimdall because he might have the last Infinity Stone?

Because its highly likely Loki took the Tesseract from the Odins vault at the same time he released Surt in the Eternal Flame. You see him pause and look rather meaningfully at it, and of course they have a history

Gonna see it again later today in 2D because the 3D system isn't good in the only theater in my area. This movie also kind of confirmed my theory that each Avenger's vision in AoU represents a different kind of possibility/event. Tony's vision is the possible future, Thor's is the true future, Cap's was the possible past, Natasha's was the true past, Hulk's is the mystery, and Clint's is what never happened :lol

I really enjoyed it, but Fawbish said it better than I could, I think sometimes it was a tad TOO funny. Dont get me wrong, I laughed at all the jokes, but after the movie was over, and I had time to process everything, the stakes didnt seem as high considering how comedic everything was. I liked Hela, I thought she was good, Surtur was rad looking, loved Clancy Brown as the voice, but I had a few nitpicks. Didnt really like Hulks voice, and how different they made his face look, he looked way less monsterous, its like he had a make over or something. I havent seen Thor 2 since it came out, so I kind of forgot what happened in that one, but I wasnt really sure why Odin died, considering he was asleep in the last one. I also didnt like that Hela used Thors hammer, because in the comics, its made specifically for him so when they showed the mural I was kind of like "wuh"?

Anyone notice the Beta Ray Bill easter egg in the tower? I thought that was rad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent seen Thor 2 since it came out, so I kind of forgot what happened in that one, but I wasnt really sure why Odin died, considering he was asleep in the last one.

In the first Thor movie, Odin was asleep for majority of the movie. In Thor 2, he didn't really do much from the middle to the end. In Ragnarok, it was explained what happened to Odin. Loki exiled Odin and stripped him of his powers so he was reduced to a body that's just at the same level as humans (making him vulnerable to disease and death of old age, I assume). I don't remember who said it, but I think it was Heimdall.

In the first Thor movie, Odin was asleep for majority of the movie. In Thor 2, he didn't really do much from the middle to the end. In Ragnarok, it was explained what happened to Odin. Loki exiled Odin and stripped him of his powers so he was reduced to a body that's just at the same level as humans (making him vulnerable to disease and death of old age, I assume). I don't remember who said it, but I think it was Heimdall.
See, maybe thats what my problem is, how the hell did Loki exile Odin? I didnt think he had the power to do that. I know that Odin is vulnerable in the Odinsleep, but still. Next time I see it Ill look out for it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back