Solo: A Star Wars Story

OOpps.... sorry about that! I was busy drooling over that throne!!!!! ULTIMATE in cool, that piece!

All looks very fetching. I love the wainscoting and the colours you chose. Would like to see some gilt framed oil paintings in there... especially above the mantle.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting much from Solo, but I thought Ron Howard was probably capable enough to rescue the project and deliver something fun & tight, if not "Han" or very original. I really disliked it so much though - Howard wasn't enough to save it. This movie is what 9 out of 10 fanboys would have written if challenged to write a Han Solo origin story fan film in an afternoon. My eight year old could have guessed what'd be shown in this film before seeing a frame of it, and beat-for-beat he would have gotten it almost exactly right. What an obvious, unnecessary, disappointing story.

There was an element made me smile: Once in a while, I could hear (if not see) Billy Dee Williams. Glover really had his voice down at times!

OOpps.... sorry about that! I was busy drooling over that throne!!!!! ULTIMATE in cool, that piece!

All looks very fetching. I love the wainscoting and the colours you chose. Would like to see some gilt framed oil paintings in there... especially above the mantle.
Thanks! Since I kinda based my room on Haunted Mansion/Pirates of the Caribbean, it would only make sense to have a throne that is in both rides in there. Those are Haunted Mansion throw pillows and blankets. The Vader is kind of my version of a knight in armor.

Sorry, but a wee bit more derailing.... a few more. Christmas and chair detail ( is there a thread for members showing off their homes already? Should have one if there isn't one already).

237080d5d1c13ead4b093737b2a374db.jpg
50915d9de517f3a2b77660d8dc443cf9.jpg

Yes Kristen! With the "pochoir" method. Funny those words: "Wall Paper" in English and "Papier Peint" in French, which means literally "painted paper". More accurate depiction of the ancient process made, by hand (often by women) and, in the beginning, in strips only. Beautiful work, btw:cool

I wasn't expecting much from Solo, but I thought Ron Howard was probably capable enough to rescue the project and deliver something fun & tight, if not "Han" or very original. I really disliked it so much though - Howard wasn't enough to save it.

Did we probably see different movies? I think that Ron Howard did a good job. Solo is not a masterpiece, but I was not able to find nearly as many movie making craftsmanship mistakes than in TLJ or even the whole PT. In fact, I did not find any "mistakes". I am curious how it holds up to the dissection by real critics.
Ron Howard is a seasoned director and did what I expect from a veteran, namely being good at his job.

However, we of course had to expect Disney to play safe regarding the story. And I must say that I at first was bored, too, when I read Sabbacc game and Kessel run. And meeting Chewie of course had to take place within that movies plot, otherwise it would not have been complete.

This movie is what 9 out of 10 fanboys would have written if challenged to write a Han Solo origin story fan film in an afternoon. My eight year old could have guessed what'd be shown in this film before seeing a frame of it, and beat-for-beat he would have gotten it almost exactly right. What an obvious, unnecessary, disappointing story.

We all knew what to expect, the plot tent poles for such a movie have been there since 1977. But would have your son been able to fill in the blanks between those plot points? I did not find the story too disappointing, on the contrary I felt well entertained and pleasantly surprised by a lot of the smaller details sprinkled in. I did like the fun aspect of the movie, the almost campy stuff like Lando being kind of a Maverick who really seems to like diversity in his closet when it comes to cape styles, the sometimes in your face nods to the OT, the interweaving of OT and and newer stuff, and last but not least the ending. Yes, TV series pilot, but that would actually confirm my theory of the ST being nothing more than giant episodes of a misconstructed tv series.

It is rather easy to say "I could have done that, too, and better", and in the past I did play that game with the PT and most recently with TLJ, but with Solo I must say dang, I enjoyed the ride and the nachos and coke I had bought at the concesssion stand. I had hoped for fun, and I was not disappointed.

A caveat, though: the German dubbed version was a bonus because they either chose a voice actor for Han Solo who sounded very much like a younger version of the original voice actor, or they did a lot in the post production to make him sound the part. Not so much for Lando, but that did not really matter. They even stuck with the translation for Kesselrun, which since 1978 translates to "Korsalflug". A small bit of continuity that kind of warmed my heart.

Anyway, lets see how the movie fares at the box office over the next few weeks.

can.not.get.enough.of.that.throne!!!

And the Christmas setup looks lovely as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't expecting much from Solo, but I thought Ron Howard was probably capable enough to rescue the project and deliver something fun & tight, if not "Han" or very original. I really disliked it so much though - Howard wasn't enough to save it. This movie is what 9 out of 10 fanboys would have written if challenged to write a Han Solo origin story fan film in an afternoon. My eight year old could have guessed what'd be shown in this film before seeing a frame of it, and beat-for-beat he would have gotten it almost exactly right. What an obvious, unnecessary, disappointing story.

There was an element made me smile: Once in a while, I could hear (if not see) Billy Dee Williams. Glover really had his voice down at times!

This is essentially what I'm expecting :/

Did we probably see different movies? I think that Ron Howard did a good job. Solo is not a masterpiece, but I was not able to find nearly as many movie making craftsmanship mistakes than in TLJ or even the whole PT. In fact, I did not find any "mistakes"...

We all knew what to expect, the plot tent poles for such a movie have been there since 1977. But would have your son been able to fill in the blanks between those plot points?

It is rather easy to say "I could have done that, too, and better.”

I didn’t say that I - or my 8 year old kid - could have made a better movie, or call it out on any technical filmmaking aspects (though I admit that I think it was pretty crummy looking in comparison to the last three releases, likely due in large part to the amount of chromakey backgrounds used for the 80% of the film which was re-shot).

What I did say is that it plays like lazy fanfiction. It’s a string of story beats deserving of those people you’re describing who think they could do it better - the obvious stuff which you seem to think were inevitable. Any kid could have accurately guessed at the contents of this script without any hints. My 8yo may not be able to script that connective tissue between those beats, but that’s a super low bar, ain’t it?

Where you see plot “tentpoles” which have been inevitable since 1977, I see all the obvious traps which higher caliber creatives than my 8yo should have dodged. It’s amazing to me that they couldn’t come up with a new story, but would rather show us that everything we already know about the character - meeting Chewie, getting his blastet, completing the Kessel run, meeting Lando, winning the Falcon, even joining the empire if you’re up on the most famous bits of the EU - conveniently happened in the three days they’re putting on screen.

I can see telling an original story surrounding one of those events I guess, but it’d be better to let most of them be as throwaway references in OT dialogue. Like the Clone Wars, it’s never as interesting as it seems it may be before it’s spelled out. Why not tell a random adventure from his empire days? Show us a particularly difficult smuggling operation, an original thriller. Instead, they try to present us with too many wholly expected events at hyperspeed, and give all of them short shrift.

In connecting every bit we ever heard about the guy in the window of time they targeted, the character’s universe is shrunk beyond reason or interest. Even that “original” connective tissue found subtle ways to constantly wink at the audience.

It doesn’t seem to be long before ANH when this film ends. You guys are fine with Han & Chewie being such short friends when we first meet them? That their smuggling “career” is seemingly a job or two long?

“Even I get boarded sometimes! Well, this one and only time I smuggled stuff for that “big” gangster.”

“I never thought I’d be smuggling myself in those smuggling containers under the floor! But then, I’ve only had the ship for a week.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn’t seem to be long before ANH when this film ends. You guys are fine with Han & Chewie being such short friends when we first meet them? That their smuggling “career” is seemingly a job or two long?

Where did you pick up on that? I was assuming this was like ten years before ANH. I didn't see anything indicating it's that short a time period between the two.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back