Magnum PI reboot

Well, I watched it. Not as bad as I was expecting, but not great either. I want to watch two or three more episodes, but at this point I can't see this becoming a "must watch" show.

Does the opening credits have him holding a woman in a bikini face down in the water and he stares at her behind and grins at the camera?

I watched it and it was enjoyable, but I really missed the general sense of fun that the original had. It didn't take itself too seriously all the time. There were several instances of breaking the 4th wall, including the above example. I hope they include some of that as episodes go along.

I gave it a chance too. I'll give it 3 episodes. The premier was bland, and very generic. Jay Hernandes does not have the charisma and screen presence of Tom Selleck. It's not even a contest.

And did I call it, or did I call it? Romantic and sexual tension between Magnum and Higgins.

...Jay Hernandes does not have the charisma and screen presence of Tom Selleck. It's not even a contest...
This is one of the problems I had while watching the episode. Even if he was less charismatic, Tom Selleck is (or was) 6'4" tall and his physical presence alone tends to draw your attention to him. Jay Hernandez is a decent actor, but at just under 5'9" he tends to blend in rather than stand out. Also, Hernandez' Magnum seems like the kind of guy you'd like to hang out with, but he doesn't seem to be the "tough guy" type.

BURN NOTICE... :facepalm
...The Next Generation.

Didn't hate it.

Yeah, Hernandez has the depth of a kiddie pool. He isn't bad as far as he goes, he just doesn't go very far. Stuff that needed gravitas did not have it.

I don't mind Higgins being female if that means no Agatha. ;)

WTH was he doing shooting at the ambulance when his buddy was inside?!

I actually liked it (and i did watch the original when it was on in the "80's). They could have gone with someone more magnum-esque (if your watching "magnum PI" don't expect deep content) but the overall feel is the same. This is coming from someone that was looking forward to the "daughter" version.

There are parts that are very magnum and parts that aren't but you have to expect that for a reboot. I do hope this one goes on with practical effects. the only issue i have is the original 308 was destroyed (spoiler). It would have been cool to have him drive it through the series..

The girl as Higgins is fine, as she will have secrets to divulge, and she works the dogs (Zeus and Apollo) like a pro. I dont know if i spelled the dogs names right but whatever, i do like the show and am looking forward to the next episode.

Shout out to Funky, i agree with his assessment also.

Edited for content.

Last edited:
Disavowed is not the same as disgraced. An operator can do everything right and still be disavowed if political circumstances warrant.
Disgraced means they did something contrary to the ROE, went AWOL, dishonorably discharged, etc.

God this is awful, 20 Minutes in and I am forcing myself to watch.

Acting is horrible and Hernandez looks like a little kid trying to play a Mans Man :lol

Nice touch with Carl Weathers character wearing a VMO2 Da Nang cap

Otherwise this is truly cringe inducing

...Nice touch with Carl Weathers character wearing a VMO2 Da Nang cap...
Carl Weathers? Did they air a new episode last night? I saw my DVR had recorded what I thought was a new episode, but 10 seconds in I realized it was the pilot episode again. :confused

Edit: D'oh! Never mind. My DVR recorded the new episode tonight.

Finally got around to watching the DVR'd premiere last night.

It was.... okay. Just barely okay. I think Rick and TC have potential, although they didn't give TC much to work with, and wacky Rick was really forced. Higgins was fine, but I could have done without her being former MI-5 (she could have been badass with no explanation yet, instead of trying to spoon feeds us a quick explanation) and, as feared, there's unnecessary sexual tension between her and "Magnum". Hernandez is okay, just not as Magnum. I mean, he's likeable, but I don't get SEAL or even tough in any way shape or form from him.

Don't even get me started on the PLOT, or can you even give something this simple the name of PLOT? Overly simple and I really think they missed the entire tone of the original, which seems to happen with almost every remake these days. A little tongue in cheek and just a single fourth wall break would have been welcome. But we have to sacrifice that for car destruction and a miraculous, reality bending, helicopter strut. Just.... meh.

We will probably give it a few more shows to see if it manages to finds its way. You never know. I think better writing would help... a LOT!

By the way, am I the only one who was waiting (not in a good way) the entire episode for the inevitable Five-0 crossover? Which would have been seriously eye rolling.

I finally watched this and have a few comments.

I don't see any chemistry between Magnum, Rick and TC yet. Hopefully it will come in the future,

After some of the remarks I was ready not to like Higgins being a woman but surprisingly I think it works.

I hate that they destroyed the original car but at least they still have Ferraris.

I noticed in the first episode that the name of Magnum's buddy that appears to be killed is the same name as the character who turned out to be a Russian spy in the original series episode called 'Did you see the Sunrise' where Magnum kills Ivan at the end. Since the actor who portrays him is listed in 2 episodes this season and one of them is called 'Did you see the Sunrise' I'm guessing he might still be a spy and is still alive.

As has been mentioned by others Jay Hernandez doesn't do it for me as Magnum. He also can't pull off wearing a Navy uniform.

I didn't think last nights episode was too bad and I could see that as an episode of the original series. I didn't even realize that was Carl Weathers.

Gave up a quarter of the way through Ep 2. It isn't terrible, but isn't good enough to be worthy of my time. Higgins is the only one I was interested in seeing more of.

I feel stupid now. I just realized Magnum was El Diablo from Suicide Squad [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Higgins is the only one I was interested in seeing more of.
Perdita Weeks is too thin for my tastes, but I'd be interesting in seeing more of her too. Oh, wait, you meant...never mind. :D

I feel stupid now. I just realized Magnum was El Diablo from Suicide Squad

Reel
Well, the important thing is that you're all caught up now. And just in time to stop watching the show like so many of us. ;)

I am actually surprised at the people that don't like this. the original magnum was tongue and cheek. the one thing i am not sure i agree with is "Magnum", at this point i'm not totally with the actor as Magnum but everyone else actually works pretty well together. BUT...he still needs to drive the 308!

I have seen as a general rule people don't like reboots but, as someone who lived the original this is actually pretty good and i was surprised to see the crossover with Five-0.

I am not going in with high expectations (as the original was not really "good") but as something that is just entertaining and so far i have not been disappointed.

I think the biggest problem with the show is that it is a reboot. We come in with expectations of who the characters are and how they interact. NuMagnum doesn't get nearly as exacerbated (my big word for the day) with everybody else like we are used to from the original. No, "Come on, ______!" like we are used to. NuRick seems to have been turned into poorly done comic relief. TC seems pretty much the same, but they haven't shown him enough. I also almost fell into the trap of thinking Nuzo is going to be the a replacement for Mac, ghost (or flashback) and all.

NuMagnum doesn't get nearly as exacerbated (my big word for the day) with everybody else like we are used to from the original. No, "Come on, ______!" like we are used to.
Yeah, that takes a bit of adjustment. I suppose part of the thinking is that when you watch the original -- especially in rapid succession, as I have been doing -- a lot of that begins to feel like wasted time. You know Magnum will get the help he needs, so all the bargaining and begging can feel a little tiresome. They do still have the recurring theme of the other characters calling Magnum out for always needing favors.
NuRick seems to have been turned into poorly done comic relief.
I figure because Magnum isn't quite as goofy as Selleck's original could get, they have transferred much of that goofiness to Rick. I personally don't find it poorly done, however.
I also almost fell into the trap of thinking Nuzo is going to be the a replacement for Mac, ghost (or flashback) and all.
At first, I was a little dismayed that they had apparently wasted Nuzo's storyline (the heart of the original series' best story, "Did You See the Sunrise?" on the pilot episode, with a much less dramatic conclusion than the original, jaw-dropping version. However, I realize they can still do that story or a variation of it later if they wish. The only things the pilot episode had in common with the classic episode were the Nuzo character and the title, so that actual story could still be adapted later with a different catalyst.

We did see "Mac" later in the season … I wonder is she will be recurring going forward.

SSB

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back