Guess Marty McFly Denim Jacket Tag Style Number

SeanMcFly

So I'm not entirely sure if this could help us at least figure out the jacket's dimensions, but a photo from a comparison of the tags of Gamester's Mexico-made jacket vs the same patterned U.S. jacket with leather inserts shows a slightly faded but easily enhanced and legible style number on the tag (photos below):

Original:
Guess tag.jpg

Enhanced:
Guess tag2.png

Zoomed in:
Guess tag 3.png

According to the picture below, the style number is one of 2 things: 26309 (I think it's that), or 86309. Is there any way these numbers could be used to check Guess's database for dimensions, etc?

Interesting idea. I read that someone asked guess if they'd made a jacket of Marty's style and had it in their records, but they didn't, only colour alternatives. So I don't think that they'd be able to give you measurements from the actual, but maybe more of the alternatives.

The jacket must have been sold as a store exclusive in certain retailers. I do believe that the guess jacket is an off the peg item with modifications including the lining and the inside pockets etc. I've seen a few pictures and read accounts of people actually wearing the jacket in the 80s so no question it was an actual piece.

How many 'Marty' jackets were actually released not including the elusive accurate one.

I've seen two different styles.
2dac9059d1acbe1ea4b3de6a234fb1fb.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Interesting idea. I read that someone asked guess if they'd made a jacket of Marty's style and had it in their records, but they didn't, only colour alternatives. So I don't think that they'd be able to give you measurements from the actual, but maybe more of the alternatives.

The jacket must have been sold as a store exclusive in certain retailers. I do believe that the guess jacket is an off the peg item with modifications including the lining and the inside pockets etc. I've seen a few pictures and read accounts of people actually wearing the jacket in the 80s so no question it was an actual piece.

How many 'Marty' jackets were actually released not including the elusive accurate one.

I've seen two different styles.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/2dac9059d1acbe1ea4b3de6a234fb1fb.jpg

Exactly right on all accounts! But even without the exact screen-used jacket color combo on record, having the proper dimensions for the color alternatives could result in some incredible replicas (ones with true single stitch elastic waistbands and that perfect "pocket to yoke" ratio that makes the jacket look not too baggy or too stiff). Then, with these correct measurements, it'll be up to the replicator to only figure out what their preferred two denim colors are rather than having to estimate the size of the pockets and yoke. If somehow the community can pull this off, we'd be able to take our McFly jackets to the next level. Anyone know how to get in touch with Guess?

Exactly right on all accounts! But even without the exact screen-used jacket color combo on record, having the proper dimensions for the color alternatives could result in some incredible replicas (ones with true single stitch elastic waistbands and that perfect "pocket to yoke" ratio that makes the jacket look not too baggy or too stiff). Then, with these correct measurements, it'll be up to the replicator to only figure out what their preferred two denim colors are rather than having to estimate the size of the pockets and yoke. If somehow the community can pull this off, we'd be able to take our McFly jackets to the next level. Anyone know how to get in touch with Guess?
Headgoonie is actually working on a second run of jackets. They've posted a couple of pictures on Instagram about it. They've got in hand a 'marty' guess jacket in which they're taking all the measurements from. You can also see in one of the pictures the colours that they may be using.

Also I think the only way to contact guess it to email them through their main site.
2adb041fc13f4509be286cd89c36f234.jpg
f1230be93fd05f244a94c0f23adc0528.jpg

Very interesting idea. I'll be following this. I also think it was off the rack with very slight modifications (Lining, extra inside pocket, etc.). I also think it is very possible it used the square guess tag as there is no dark triangle on the pocket of the jacket like on the jeans.

Headgoonie is actually working on a second run of jackets. They've posted a couple of pictures on Instagram about it. They've got in hand a 'marty' guess jacket in which they're taking all the measurements from. You can also see in one of the pictures the colours that they may be using.

Also I think the only way to contact guess it to email them through their main site. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/2adb041fc13f4509be286cd89c36f234.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/f1230be93fd05f244a94c0f23adc0528.jpg

Oh man, the fabric for the Headgoonie Jacket already looks awesome. Thanks for sending this along. I'll definitely be looking into if Guess can provide the dimensions needed, too!

Very interesting idea. I'll be following this. I also think it was off the rack with very slight modifications (Lining, extra inside pocket, etc.). I also think it is very possible it used the square guess tag as there is no dark triangle on the pocket of the jacket like on the jeans.

I think it could either be off the rack with or a custom job made by Guess in the style of one of their vest color combos (mainly this one)
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 9.13.14 PM.png
So it definitely was to the dimensions of the off the rack item, but the question is, was it ever sold in that color combo, or only custom ordered by film studios (hence why we only saw it appear in TV, movies, and from a won contest from Teen Beat)?

I'm not sure if it was a custom order thing. There is another thread somewhere that shows the TV versions and they are different by a very slight amount. A member contacted a wardrobe designer (?) from a show that used one and she said it would have been off the rack. I don't recall the thread though.

I'm not sure if it was a custom order thing. There is another thread somewhere that shows the TV versions and they are different by a very slight amount. A member contacted a wardrobe designer (?) from a show that used one and she said it would have been off the rack. I don't recall the thread though.
I believe that it's no doubt an off the rack piece and not a custom order. The jacket does exist, there's been a few pop up, but what really puts the nail in the coffin for me is this photo taken in 1988 of someone wearing it.

I think that the costume department bought a couple of these (I think 2, one for MJF and one for the stunt man) and only modified the inside. I just can't see it being a custom order because one was already made.
de64f479aea97c3c01b9ecfde6a0756c.jpg

I believe that it's no doubt an off the rack piece and not a custom order. The jacket does exist, there's been a few pop up, but what really puts the nail in the coffin for me is this photo taken in 1988 of someone wearing it.

I think that the costume department bought a couple of these (I think 2, one for MJF and one for the stunt man) and only modified the inside. I just can't see it being a custom order because one was already made. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180405/de64f479aea97c3c01b9ecfde6a0756c.jpg

Wow I've never seen that photo before! That's it alright. Wow, to think there may be a few real ones left out there gets me excited for sure. Also, I think this solves the age old query as well: dark grey or stonewash denim? It's looking like a stonewash to me (maybe stonewashed grey, but definitely not too dark.

That plus the potential to grab the real dimensions from Guess via the tag could end up being something very cool.

Okay, so I've inquired with Guess about "26309" (after doing a higher-res capture, it's definitely 26309 and not 28309). I will let you all know what my reply is! Fingers crossed...

Apologies if this has already been discounted but does anyone think that the Guess Georges Marciano jacket in the Marty colour way was actually from their Youth range and that's why they are so hard to come by today? e.g. could MJF have been wearing a Youth XL?

I'm looking at those few who have managed to acquire the holy grail themselves to confirm/deny this theory!

Apologies if this has already been discounted but does anyone think that the Guess Georges Marciano jacket in the Marty colour way was actually from their Youth range and that's why they are so hard to come by today? e.g. could MJF have been wearing a Youth XL?

I'm looking at those few who have managed to acquire the holy grail themselves to confirm/deny this theory!
Marty’s Jacket is a Youth size 20. ;)

And the style number is now known but it is not my information to share unfortunately.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back