Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

Does that sound reasonable to you Treadwell?

As no one bothered to correct me the first time I answered it, I assumed there was a consensus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see your question until just now. I have a tab open to the RPF almost continuously, but it doesn't mean I'm looking at it every minute. I wasn't even at my computer.

Thank you for answering and sharing your take on it. I wasn't going to say but since you asked, I don't think it's very conclusive. Deckard could have carved those other figures any time, and I assumed it was after he got to Vegas (they did look newer, although I grant they hadn't been buried in soot for a couple decades). It doesn't mean the horse had ever before been in their company.

Deckard's dialogue about "the plan" gives no indication he had been coming and going. It was decided he should be away from the child and should go away without telling anyone where. So he would have had to carve the horse before going to Vegas. If he had been making prior trips to Vegas, he wouldn't have gone back there to hide, because no one could have any idea where he might go.

So it still doesn't make sense to me that the horse would have Vegas radiation on it.

I dont think the makers needed to give any more of an explanation than to display all the similar carvings already at Deckards Vegas pad. But,

He may have went straight there with Rachel after the events of the first film.

They may have went there some time during her pregnancy

Rachel may never have been to Vegas. But Deckard went straight there after he decided to separate himself from the mother and child to protect them "We were being hunted" " Sometimes to love someone you have to be a stranger"

Deckard carved the horse while he was in Vegas and somehow got the horse to Sapper or one of his fellow conspirators as a gift to the child.

The horse was part of the drink comps deal and he sent it to the child.

Possibly more ways of the horse getting from Vegas to the child but my head hurts.

Is it too outlandish to think replicants interacted with Deckard at least a little bit after he was in Vegas? I'd imagine he had told Rachel about the unicorn and sent along the wooden one to be passed to her/the child. Or when they were separated, the handing off a meaningful momento before she left doesn't sound crazy at all...

The bees are what concern me. I know one friend said it was ridiculous that the power still worked in the theater...It was obviously powered by bees.

Is it too outlandish to think replicants interacted with Deckard at least a little bit after he was in Vegas? I'd imagine he had told Rachel about the unicorn and sent along the wooden one to be passed to her/the child. Or when they were separated, the handing off a meaningful momento before she left doesn't sound crazy at all...

The bees are what concern me. I know one friend said it was ridiculous that the power still worked in the theater...It was obviously powered by bees.

Not too outlandish at all, the bottom line is that the horse/unicorn was in Vegas before the child got it, how it got it is unimportant. The other carvings are enough to set it up for mine.

Now the bees, I have a couple of ideas on those but telling them here is more trouble than its worth.;)

I think it is outlandish, because it would defeat the point of him disappearing if people knew where he was. I believe he hasn't seen another person/replicant since he went off.

"Because that was the plan!"

I think it is outlandish, because it would defeat the point of him disappearing if people knew where he was. I believe he hasn't seen another person/replicant since he went off.

"Because that was the plan!"

How do you know that and why would you need to know that? "The Plan" was to not see the child again or know where it was. Simple.

If you totally disregard all the stuff that been put before you then you have single handedly exposed Denis and the writing team as failures.

Perhaps you need to see the Fed Ex bag that possibly Deckard used to send it to someone. Now dont think for a second that happened. Just making sure before you say there is no Fed Ex in 2049. How much exposition do you need?

Not too outlandish at all, the bottom line is that the horse/unicorn was in Vegas before the child got it, how it got it is unimportant. The other carvings are enough to set it up for mine.

Now the bees, I have a couple of ideas on those but telling them here is more trouble than its worth.;)

Exactly...I think the movie does a good job leading you to conclusions, and it just takes a little bit of reading in-between the lines. The fact that he has other animals carved makes the source of horse/unicorn VERY obvious.

I don't intend to purposefully stir the pot some more about Deckard, but I have been firmly in the "human" camp since I saw the original movie in a film class about 4 years ago. Last night, I sat down and watched the Final Cut again, and I think I may have shifted closer to the "there's definite potential he's a replicant" camp. The connection between Gaff and Bryant was a bit more obvious to me, and the fact that Deckard was brought in as opposed to formally asked to rejoin the force, etc. Now I have doubt in my beliefs, LOL. I can't say I think one-way or the other now. There's potential for either, and I feel like I need to make a solid decision here. :p

Kay flies the orphanage and finds the wooden horse. Next shot is him back at his apartment. How did he get back home?
His spinner was shot down smack in the middle of San Diego. That's 120 miles away. It doesn't look like there's really any public transport in the middle of that junkyard city.

And can someone explain why a small wooden horse is worth a fortune but nobody seems impressed by that giant tree outside of Morton's place?

Exactly...I think the movie does a good job leading you to conclusions, and it just takes a little bit of reading in-between the lines. The fact that he has other animals carved makes the source of horse/unicorn VERY obvious.

I don't intend to purposefully stir the pot some more about Deckard, but I have been firmly in the "human" camp since I saw the original movie in a film class about 4 years ago. Last night, I sat down and watched the Final Cut again, and I think I may have shifted closer to the "there's definite potential he's a replicant" camp. The connection between Gaff and Bryant was a bit more obvious to me, and the fact that Deckard was brought in as opposed to formally asked to rejoin the force, etc. Now I have doubt in my beliefs, LOL. I can't say I think one-way or the other now. There's potential for either, and I feel like I need to make a solid decision here. :p

You dont really have to make a solid decision one way or another, thats the beauty of the movie Scott made. If Deckard is or isnt doesnt effect the outcome or the way we watch the movie. But he is a replicant.:D

On the bee`s , I have two thoughts. They are canaries for Deckards coal mine and they are also a reference to the first movie. Will let someone else elaborate on that one

Last edited:
Just expanding on the Deckard replicant thing, maybe he chose Vegas specifically as replicants are well known for being able to handle "Adverse environmental conditions" was I believe the quote. Which would mean the bees being his radiation early warning system as mute. Leaving the second explanation relating to the original movie as the purpose behind their existence in Blade Runner 2049.

ADDITION...That quote is from Alien...but you get the idea.

Last edited:
The source of the horse is indeed obvious: Deckard. Doesn't mean it was carved in Vegas.

ANYWAY. :) About the bees: don't they need flowers?

Kay flies the orphanage and finds the wooden horse. Next shot is him back at his apartment. How did he get back home?
His spinner was shot down smack in the middle of San Diego. That's 120 miles away. It doesn't look like there's really any public transport in the middle of that junkyard city.

Because it's unnecessary exposition. Do we really need a 1-5 minute scene showing us some like this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Because it's unnecessary exposition. Do we really need a 1-5 minute scene showing us some like this?

Exactly. And there is also the small matter of us seeing "K" use that very same spinner arriving at his apartment and then to Deckard and Rachels childs lab straight after San Diego.:lol
Peugeot make tough flying cars you know. Is there a different cut of this movie I havent seen or something.;)

Last edited:

Well it’s a worn Hollywood trope that the hero magically appears at home. It doesn’t break the film for me. I still love the movie. If he had landed in Compton I wouldn’t bat an eye but he was in San Diego.

Well it’s a worn Hollywood trope that the hero magically appears at home. It doesn’t break the film for me. I still love the movie. If he had landed in Compton I wouldn’t bat an eye but he was in San Diego.

Two posts above might clear things up for you.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back