Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Maybe not done a ton of times, but its been done. Recently in Agents of Shield, a person, who is usually a kid, like in Shield, draws pictures which ends up showing the future in some way. The 2009 movie, Push did this. Also, I remember the kid in The Ring doing that, or something close to it towards the beginning.

Speaking of kids, I think of how many video games, mainly from the 90s had some kid, or young teen wake up one morning only to have some drastic thing happen and they have to end up saving the world.

Fight stunts, from professional wrestling to TV/movies, where hero mildly subdues Foe #1 and uses him as an apparatus to launch, springboard or swing himself off of in order to attack Foe #2. You cannot do this without a great deal of cooperation and help from the first person. A dazed person doesn't suddenly become a pommel horse. If you try to climb on them they're just going to ragdoll to the ground.

in the dark a group of guys want to explore a dark building where enymies can be hiding. they only use handsigns cause maybe they can be heard. still they have huge flashlights attached to thier guns....

Or just the usage of flashlights or laser sights in general. Yes, police and military use these, but they don't just turn them on and leave them on, letting the bad guys (on in the case of a show or movie, the good guys) know that they're coming. What's the point in dressing in dark clothing, moving silently and tactically when you have a bright flashlight lighting up the hallway you're going down and/or decorating the walls with little red dots from you laser sight?

On a related note, Hollywood seems to have gotten rather fond of the whole flattened bullet stuck the front of a bullet proof vest thing. You know, where someone has body armor on underneath their clothing, get shot, and later they open their shirt to show the flattened bullet stuck to the front of their body armor. Only that's not how body armor works, neither hard or soft body armor. If it's soft armor the bullet is going to be buried in the Kevlar and not stuck neatly on the surface. If it's hard the bullet, or the shattered bits of the bullet, is going to be stuck between the plate holder and the plate, maybe partially lodged in the plate if it's ceramic. Either way, you're not going to see a flattened bullet stuck to the outside of the vest.

I don’t recall if I’ve ever seen an actor who could fake a sneeze.
Usually they’re literally just shouting, “achoo.”.

Last edited:
Good one!
Although I've worked with people whose genuine sneezes sound incredibly fake. Usually women, for whatever reason---the first half is convincing, but there is no explosion of air, just a verbalized "tew!". I still don't get how that even happens, or what biological benefit a sneeze with no force could possibly have.

This thread is balm for my nitpicking sould...:)

- Tyre-screech when a car just starts/stops absolutely normal
- Flash and thunder exactly the same time
- Silencers
- Petrol being totally clear liquid

That being said the famous horizontal 8 pattern of someone looking through binoculars has kinda died out in the late 80s. Irked me to no end.

The biggest issue I have is when they use flimsy writing to justify an action set piece.

Unfortunately, this is now the norm.

Both, star wars and star trek are the worst for this. (The current versions. Lucas was less contrived regarding this)

The best example I have is the first transformers movie when they needed to get the allspark away from the military base. Sam was told to take it to the top of a building in the middle of the city to reach the extraction point.

What? Why?

Because big fighting robots are more interesting in a city than they are in the desert.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good one!
Although I've worked with people whose genuine sneezes sound incredibly fake. Usually women, for whatever reason---the first half is convincing, but there is no explosion of air, just a verbalized "tew!". I still don't get how that even happens, or what biological benefit a sneeze with no force could possibly have.
I've met those folks, too. I kinda think it's the result of someone trying to suppress a sneeze so they don't blast fluids everywhere because I've only seen that in women. Men simply don't care. If it's someone I know I usually end up ridiculing them.

I actually discovered the secret to faking a perfect classic sneeze. If you go through the motions of sneezing and, at the last split second, cough into your fist you can get a very convincing sneeze. With practice you can make it just about completely indistinguishable from a real sneeze (sans snot).

Flimsy locks that can be opened with one or two hits with a crow bar, the heel of a gun, or sometimes a shoe. When will these people stop using Masterlocks?

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

I've met those folks, too. I kinda think it's the result of someone trying to suppress a sneeze so they don't blast fluids everywhere because I've only seen that in women. Men simply don't care. If it's someone I know I usually end up ridiculing them.

I actually discovered the secret to faking a perfect classic sneeze. If you go through the motions of sneezing and, at the last split second, cough into your fist you can get a very convincing sneeze. With practice you can make it just about completely indistinguishable from a real sneeze (sans snot).

Or you could have a sneeze like mine which causes people to stop what they’re doing and look for the location of the small explosion they’ve just heard!

How about the simple act of waving someone's hand over a recently deceased person's eyes, causing them to instantly close and be at peace? I mean, I've seen better variations where they do show pressure on the lids, but other ones where it's literally just waving over their face.

Get a drink on a keyboard and a shower of sparks shoot out and the computer dies. When I did that this afternoon I cussed and looked for a spare keyboard while I wait for the other one to dry out.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Another few that really get on my nerves.

- Cutting chains, these days a light tap with a sharp object will cut a chain without effort.

- Cutting rope in medieval times, given that everything had to be made by hand and there were no general stores where such goods were available thanks to mass production, people would take care of things, things like tools were more like family heirlooms, passed down the family. Rope is not easy to make so cutting ropes would probably make any medieval person cringe.

- Cutting your palm for blood : say goodbye to finger strength, mobility and fingertip sensitivity ! Just to get a little blood you are cutting your tendons and nerves. I guess that the next step will be to chop off a finger because fingers grow back don't they ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back