Apollo 11 Helmet build help- need dimensions

Jimbo890

Hey guys. I've been out of the game for a while, but I'm slowing getting back into props and costume making, and I've been asked to build a NASA Apollo Mission A7L helmet for a small museum that lacks the budget of getting a retail replica. I'm needing some dimensions to get going, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Larry Young was the only rpfer (former rpfer rather) I can recall who was knowledgeable about real space suits/ helmets. You might need to look him up on facebook. I bet he would be thrilled to help though.

Larry Young was the only rpfer (former rpfer rather) I can recall who was knowledgeable about real space suits/ helmets. You might need to look him up on facebook. I bet he would be thrilled to help though.

I though Adam also had some info on the A7L for his personal costume.

Yes, I saw where Adam S. had done some extensive research something like 800 images. I was hoping to find a schematic or production blueprints for the helmet. Surely somewhere there are detailed machine drawings for those helmets?

I'd love to create a budget version of this helmet as well. There's gotta be some good drawings and measurements out there.

There is another thread here about the A7L post a link in it to here and if Adam is still monitoring that one he should see it.

From the Smithsonian 30.5 x 36.8 x 35.6cm (12 x 14 1/2 x 14 in.) does that sound right?

Sounds to me like that's simply the external EVA Gear (I.E. the Helmet cover). What you're looking for, is the actual Bubble Helmet dimensions, not the cover to go around the bubble helmet. The bubble helmet is the glass helmet encasing the Astronaut's head and locking on the suit itself. The Beta-Cloth cover simply provides protection against the sun and space-borne debris which may cause damage to the astronaut's glass helmet.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back