Blade Runner 2049 props and replicas

This has already been researched by others. The size and type is no real mystery anymore. It’s an ICA Minimum Palmos film plate holder that comes in several different sizes. 13 x 18cm seems like the correct plate.

5CFCC48F-ED31-4AE0-A401-B24D88D7F464.png

Attachments

• DF2791DB-6AC6-4FD8-AD50-0348AA58B88E.jpeg
    DF2791DB-6AC6-4FD8-AD50-0348AA58B88E.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 155
The smaller ones have the finger notches. The bigger one does not.

Sorry if I'm being thick, or have missed something previously posted, but I've not seen any images either photographic or from the catalogue that shows there is a 13 x 18 holder that has the correct tabs on the corners and the correct top part?

I just applied basic scaling techniques to the screen shots and concluded that the correct format is 18x24 cm. K’s hand and the Kohinoor mechanical pencil helped establish the size of the plate holder, and the shape of the dark slide’s grip corresponded to only a small handful of plate holders. The one I purchased is not the same model as the one seen on screen, but one made for a post-war Soviet FKD camera that’s a copy of a 1920’s German field camera. Some have claimed it’s an ICA, but I see no evidence of that. The original is likely made by ICA or ZEISS, but I have yet to find the right model. So far nobody else has, or at least hasn’t posted about it, because they’re still looking themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cirrusx1,

As you can see from the ad, the triangular corners on the plate holder are too large and the hypothenuse comes right up to the inside corner of the wooden frame - compare that area to the screen-used plate holder. The metal cross bar on the other end is also way too wide, assuming the prop maker didn’t replace it with a narrower cross bar or cut the original to remove the crescent notches (and why would he do that?). If the latter, then he would have had to reposition the narrower cross bar so it’s aligned with the edge of the wooden frame so it would line up with the dark slide grip. This would have left exposed screw holes in the other side of the cross bar, and we don’t see that in the film. What we do see is a second cross bar behind/below the cross bar with the Kanji characters, and from that I concluded that both are native to the original plate holder. This makes sense in light of the fact that the other plate holders made for the film but not used on-screen were all unaltered plate holders and enlarging easels with or without graphics added.

This has already been researched by others. The size and type is no real mystery anymore. It’s an ICA Minimum Palmos film plate holder that comes in several different sizes. 13 x 18cm seems like the correct plate.

View attachment 798256

I just applied basic scaling techniques to the screen shots and concluded that the correct format is 18x24 cm. K’s hand and the Kohinoor mechanical pencil helped establish the size of the plate holder, and the shape of the dark slide’s grip corresponded to only a small handful of plate holders. The one I purchased is not the same model as the one seen on screen, but one made for a post-war Soviet FKD camera that’s a copy of a 1920’s German field camera. Some have claimed it’s an ICA, but I see no evidence of that. The original is likely made by ICA or ZEISS, but I have yet to find the right model. So far nobody else has, or at least hasn’t posted about it, because they’re still looking themselves.

I think you draw some reasonable conclusions here :)

I've seen no evidence of an ICA holder that matches the screen-used at all, whereas a few unbranded 9x12 holders that have turned up do. I'm certainly open to the possibility that a larger one exists, but I'd like to have hard evidence before attempting to scratch-build one :)

You have to remember that the closer the camera is to the subject, the more distorted the perspective... Here's another shot I took from the approximate angle and perspective - no post-manipulation. K's hand doesn't look so big anymore, or mine so small, does it? :) Note the red lines I added to show the near identical proportions along the inside and outside edges of the holder frame - if anything, the screen-used plate holder looks a bit larger:

rhhYqbt.jpg

Here's another perspective and proportions experiment. We have to remember that what our eyes see is NOT what the camera sees. Lens optics, distance to subject, zoom, depth of field, aperture size, etc. all affect the final perspective, and it's usually different than what the naked eye sees. I am keeping this in perspective (pun intended) until we get a positive ID on the screen-used plate holder. For now, I'll be happy converting my 18x24 format FKD. :)

perspective study 1.jpg

BTW - is that dark slide glossy, or what? Can't tell if it's polished aluminum, paint, or an overlay. Guesses welcome! :)

Here's my FKD holder with a mocked-up cross bar, compared to the screen-used prop in the Pelican case:

IMG_1128.jpg

Notice how the FKD holder has a stamped "1" exactly where the screen-used prop has a circled "3" on it. This tells me those damn Rooskies went the extra mile in copying the original German plate holder...

IMG_1129.jpg

Just for reference, here's an unbranded 13x18 plate holder I found on an ebay.at completed items search. Looks reasonably close:
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

The same seller also had this 9x13 one, which has the same style of tabs on the slides as K's
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

They are clearly 'inspired' by the design of the ICA Palmos plate holders (they may even pre-date the formation of ICA, when it was still Zeiss). Regarding the corner reinforcement plates, my guess is that the same size was probably used on both 9x12 and 13x18 holders, so they would look smaller in proportion on the 13x18

Last edited:
*NOW* you’re talkin’!!! :)

Great find - I thought I had scoured through all the completed auctions, but I missed this one.

The fact that it isn’t branded doesn’t help us much, but it’s a big step in the right direction, and confirms my earlier assertion that the original plate holder was most likely not physically modified.

Just for reference, here's an unbranded 13x18 plate holder I found on an ebay.at completed items search. Looks reasonably close:
View attachment 798385View attachment 798386

The same seller also had this 9x13 one, which has the same style of tabs on the slides as K's
View attachment 798387View attachment 798388

They are clearly 'inspired' by the design of the ICA Palmos plate holders (they may even pre-date the formation of ICA, when it was still Zeiss). ICA never made a 13x18 holder for the Palmos though, presumably, as the camera wasn't big enough to take them.

*NOW* you’re talkin’!!! :)

Great find - I thought I had scoured through all the completed auctions, but I missed this one.

The fact that it isn’t branded doesn’t help us much, but it’s a big step in the right direction, and confirms my earlier assertion that the original plate holder was most likely not physically modified.
Helpfully, the seller gives the outside dimensions of the 13x18cm one as 14.5cm x 21cm.

You're quite welcome, Birdie! :)

But don't start counting your eggs or chickens yet - let's do the math, and get help from a professional Photoshopper to confirm the proportions. Keep in mind that the L x W x D dimensions are internal - this is confirmed in the product video:

http://www.511tactical.com/hard-case-5480-foam.html

Here's my math, and VERY bad image manipulation:

5.12 hardened case vs plate holders.jpg

The case appears to be a HC 5480: http://medtree.co.uk/511-hard-case-hc-5480-f-w-foam-insert-double-tap

Dimensions 58.4 x 43.2 x 35.6cm, which I believe would confirm the 13x18 for sure. Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Well done figuring that one out Unforgiven! :)

Last edited:
More observations - Buzby's find indicates the correct plate holder and aluminum dark slide, but still need to find a match for the slide grips, since the correct ones are used on a much smaller plate holder. If this no-name manufacturer produced plate holders for several formats, there could still be an 18x24 format model out there, but I'm not ruling out the possibility that the 14.5x21 cm model is correct - the proportions look very good! The difference between the two is only 3-4 cm per side, and the screen-shots' whacked perspective means it could go either way.

Buzby plate holders vs K's prop.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back