Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

I also think the Phthalo could go even darker, nevertheless its looking like you'll end up with the best color for the coat hands down (even the sheen looks great). Could you comment on the texture and feel of your test swatches? I'll likely follow suit with my coat but I'm curious as to how it could affect the fabric. Also throwing them in the wash to see if the paint job bleeds could let us know whether a varnish coat is necessary. Thanks for sharing

i've done a quick wash test with the swatch with the fur (one side has paint with the fabric medium, one doesn't), and put it in a tub of cold water for an hour. The paint didn't leak out, but after I took it out of the water the side without the fabric medium started to rub off a lot, and the side with it only rubbed off a little.

That said, I can probably add more fabric medium (I don't think I used enough on the swatch) and I also plan on heat sealing the paint in too. So yeah, I'll do some more tests and report back.

As for feel, it's reasonably smooth, the fabric medium really seems to help in that regard. The other sample I did that had the satin varnish coat on it definitely felt rougher, but not offensively so.

EDIT: so I have a running theory as to why the phthalo green paint wasn't as permanent as the forest green: the brand I bought was Derivan, and they have a student acrylic range, and an artist acrylic range. It would appear I bought the student acrylic.

The listings for the artist version says things like 'water resistant' 'hard to remove from clothing once dried' and 'can be used as fabric paint'...and it turns out that the student version says none of these things. Needless to say, I have a tub of the artist acrylic phthalo on the way.

EDIT 2: yep. Definitely seems I goofed in getting the student acrylic. I dug out a swatch I did with just the forest green artist acrylic (different brand) and wet that, and no amount of scrubbing was removing that paint.

Last edited:
And how about “PETROL” ?! it’s a bluish-green like that:
aa909153d2c54498827790bc9f0819b9.jpg

But I have to confess I don’t really know if “petrol” is just a color name that’s used in german or common in other languages too?!

https://www.hugoboss.com/uk/cotton-...tructured-knit-/hbeu50378510_039.html#wrapper

Bit pricey at 130 but closest jumper I can find, may well be 'the jumper' with slightly altered collar. Having paused the film loads the collars aren't consistent throughout the film. It certainly looks closest from all the suggestions posted in this thread. The knit is perfect and the outside seems are perfect, I think the inside out theory is incorrect

The shoulder seams on that one are just about perfect, and the collar is right on as well. The knit pattern seems off though, but that could just be because I'm expecting a more vertical pattern.

ORANGE?! False advertising ;)

It's a nice sweater but a little pricey I think. Especially for only a 5% cashmere content. Guess you're paying for the "label" though...

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 08.49.07.png

I could have sworn MAJSmith posted an absolutely dead on sweater some pages back. I think it was a limited supply/recently out of production UK item. Had the bizarre, "bendy raglan" seams and all.
tomservojones your avatar is making me cackle every time I see it. Is that just an unfortunate/fortunately timed freezeframe?

Last edited by a moderator:
also, as far as a sealant goes, I felt a lot better using the gloss medium compared to the varnish. The varnish in some cases was changing the colour of the paint and since it went on separate to the paint it wasn't as easy to get a consistent finish (compared to the gloss medium being mixed into the paint).

So when you say the gloss medium, do you mean this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquitex-Artist-Acrylic-Gloss-Medium-Varnish-Fluid-Medium118ml-5004/361196359391?epid=6011378187&hash=item5418fb0edf:g:j7EAAMXQgyZR-N3z

In regards to it changing the color of the paint, perhaps an airbrush application might be safer?

I'm going to use the base dyed color of Zlurpo's coat (which I'm happy with) and apply a varnish over the top, so I'm not sure if a 'medium' would be required as I'm not mixing with paint.

I'm still deliberating over which varnish to apply. My bet was on the satin so it's got less of a shine to it.

EDIT: Heres a sample shot from the web with the three different finishes which happens to be over a very similar color:

artisan_varnish.jpg

Last edited:
I could have sworn MAJSmith posted an absolutely dead on sweater some pages back. I think it was a limited supply/recently out of production UK item. Had the bizarre, "bendy raglan" seams and all.
@tomservojones your avatar is making me cackle every time I see it. Is that just an unfortunate/fortunately timed freezeframe?
I' m swimming thru the thread but I can't find the knit you are talking about. Can you point me in the right direction, If you where so kind?
Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
So when you say the gloss medium, do you mean this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquitex-Artist-Acrylic-Gloss-Medium-Varnish-Fluid-Medium118ml-5004/361196359391?epid=6011378187&hash=item5418fb0edf:g:j7EAAMXQgyZR-N3z

In regards to it changing the color of the paint, perhaps an airbrush application might be safer?

I'm going to use the base dyed color of Zlurpo's coat (which I'm happy with) and apply a varnish over the top, so I'm not sure if a 'medium' would be required as I'm not mixing with paint.

I'm still deliberating over which varnish to apply. My bet was on the satin so it's got less of a shine to it.

EDIT: Heres a sample shot from the web with the three different finishes which happens to be over a very similar color:

View attachment 793487

You might still be on the right track with Satin, but it's worth considering that the sample shot is probably on a flat, painted, static canvas. It's possible that the Gloss medium would be less shiny when applied to a porous, flexible fabric--or at least, that it would lose its gloss after being flexed a number of times.

I want to be a litle bit shiny, the solution perhaps would be the gloss diluted in water or the satin without be diluted?

Liquitex advises that you don't dilute their varnishes or they will lose their permanent/waterproof properties. Probably can be taken with a pinch of salt though if you're layering up varnish coats etc.

You might still be on the right track with Satin, but it's worth considering that the sample shot is probably on a flat, painted, static canvas. It's possible that the Gloss medium would be less shiny when applied to a porous, flexible fabric--or at least, that it would lose its gloss after being flexed a number of times.

Thanks. I'm going to test on the scrap included with my coat ofcourse, but just want to narrow down what to get as I don't want to waste money buying them all (Even the 118ml bottles would cost £40 to test them all)

So out of the -

Matte
Satin
Gloss
High Gloss

I'm probably going to try 118ml of the Satin and 188ml Gloss and test from there.

The Gloss Medium is totally different as that's mixed with the medium for better bonding with the paint. Don't think that's helpful to me.

So I received my WSL coat today. I am very pleased with it. I know a number of you have had mixed experiences but as a cosplayer I wanted something that was more accurate than the cheap leather versions but couldn't justify the top of the line pricey ones as discussed here.

WSL was the perfect middle ground for what I could afford, who needs to eat right? :)

I went down the custom measurement route after reading a few reviews. The colour is exactly what I wanted and I asked for the text on the back to be muted. You really can only see it in certain light. Its a well made coat, sturdy and durable. You can totally wear it in the later half of the year, perfect fall weather jacket (I live in Canada).

I asked for magnets on the collar instead of the belt buckle attachment and gave them the circumference of my head because I wanted an inch or two away from my face.

The only issue I have really is that its a bit bigger around the waist than I like. There is a metal clasp which I'm going to move so its a simple fix. Personally I blame myself for always adding a small amount to my measurements just incase. They hit all the other aspects perfectly though, the fit on the shoulders and arm length is spot on.

Sorry the pictures aren't great, I was too excited to put it on and all my photography skills went out the window LOL!

To sum up. WSL is a great middle ground coat, especially for a cosplayer who might only wear it a couple times a year, although I am going to wear the crap out of it because its a lovely coat.

IMG_7670.JPGIMG_7681.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back