molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

As a quick update to my previous post: The cure time on the markers is approximately two weeks long and I can confirm this after testing that after approximately two weeks the paint is dried fully AND able to be handled relatively well. I still wouldn't touch it all the time but it can take occasional contact after the long cure period without smudging or losing its mirror effect.
That being said, HOLY cow that is a long ass cure time haha, but a little patience often goes a long way with prop making!

@LoneWanderer, how well does it take a clear coat after two weeks?
So as a follow up, I tried clear coating some test plastic with the molotow chrome pen on it. I used model masters acrylic gloss clear coat and it totally ruined the finish after a full two weeks of it curing. Basically what happens is the mirror effect totally fades away when a clear coat is used and becomes shiny but not reflective at all. Also the color of the pen darkens somewhat upon clear coating too.

So in summary no, you really cannot clear coat the molotow chrome pen without at least losing its beautiful chrome mirror effect. I think perhaps other methods might work better but after researching it a bit people on other forums are reporting that similar effects occur. Some good news though, if you allow proper cure time (2 weeks+) it can handle fair amounts of handling without losing its mirror effect. I still would not recommend handling it heavily but some is okay. The only hope for a definitive clear coat would probably come from Molotow themselves; specifically made to cover their products without diminishing the effects.

So as a follow up, I tried clear coating some test plastic with the molotow chrome pen on it. I used model masters acrylic gloss clear coat and it totally ruined the finish after a full two weeks of it curing. Basically what happens is the mirror effect totally fades away when a clear coat is used and becomes shiny but not reflective at all. Also the color of the pen darkens somewhat upon clear coating too.

So in summary no, you really cannot clear coat the molotow chrome pen without at least losing its beautiful chrome mirror effect. I think perhaps other methods might work better but after researching it a bit people on other forums are reporting that similar effects occur. Some good news though, if you allow proper cure time (2 weeks+) it can handle fair amounts of handling without losing its mirror effect. I still would not recommend handling it heavily but some is okay. The only hope for a definitive clear coat would probably come from Molotow themselves; specifically made to cover their products without diminishing the effects.

so do you think an oven would help the cure time? on a low heat or something like that?

Hm I'm not sure as I've never done anything like that for this product. If you try it I would just suggest using a piece of test material first. My best guess would be that the added heat would likely modify the finish somehow, whether it dulls it or warps it.

Patience seems to be the best bet to let this product achieve its intended results. Waiting is often the best method in this hobby unfortunately haha. As an impatient person, the cure time is killer but it taught me to wait and often times waiting for coats to dry, glues to set, heat to cool, and all other kinds of prop making methods to properly set makes for the best product in the end.

So I discovered that using a heat gun, or a hair dryer, works very well with speeding up the curing process on molotow chrome. It also seems to be helpful in preserving the metallic shine of the product.
I compared the two methods of letting it dry:
1) let is sit alone for at least a week to cure, two weeks for maximum cure.

Works well, eventually after handling it will still dull somewhat though.

2) OR apply the molotow and then blowdry affected areas for at least 5 minutes. Hold the blow dryer at least a foot away from the surface to prevent spreading the paint out or thinning it. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Blow dry again for 5 minutes. Repeat this process twice a day for approximately 3 days.

With this result I found that the metallic shine retains its fresh application with extreme shininess. I can even touch the chrome painted areas without any smudges or dulling of the finish. I'm sure if i was rough enough with it, it would dull and come off as well though. Overall this process seems to be better for protecting and prolonging the molotow chrome effect. Bit more involved but worth it, like a lot of other hobbying tricks.

I saw someone online saying that Alclad Klear Kote covers it well without ruining the effect, and even makes it shinier.

Just ordered these for a "ghost" PKD blaster build. I'm hoping with a clearcoat I'll get a polished stainless look, a little duller than chrome.

Great work on all the testing in this thread !

Sculpted a Winter Soldier arm and painted it with my chrome pen.
2eb94f8100b210575da046960fa5ca6d.jpg

I've ordered some of the refill ink and some of the Klear Kote from alclad. I'll be doing some tests and posting results, including trying to tint it with a few types of dyes, maybe we can get a nice gold by tinting it yellow.

I'd Love to see such an experiment. Might have to break out my airbrush.

I've ordered some of the refill ink and some of the Klear Kote from alclad. I'll be doing some tests and posting results, including trying to tint it with a few types of dyes, maybe we can get a nice gold by tinting it yellow.

My guess is it will turn to mud. I can see candy coating it with clear yellow though.

My guess is it will turn to mud. I can see candy coating it with clear yellow though.

That's my guess too, actually, I suspect the additional chemicals mixed in will prevent it from going on smoothly, But I'll find out!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back