Kevin's scatter build thread

Actually I take that back about the obiwan saber. I have roys completion set for romans graflex in hand. The exacta card that came with the obiwan doesn't sit well in the clamp however, Roys fits perfect. I was planing on digging into parks mpp anyway so I just ordered the parts minus the shroud to redo it as well as ordered another card for obiwans. Roy recommend the custom sabers shop replica mpp clamp, however that is not in stock so I m on the notification email list

gotta love wannawanga!

Finished up the obiwan saber. For those of you on the fence about getting one, DO IT! Romans obiwan is awsome and so much cooler in person.

I cleaned it up some, kept the rust! Remember I bought this from the junk yard so it came already weathered. The windvane is brass and was really tarnished. It was a great weathering job however I backed a little of the tarnish off to let the brass shine trough just a bit more. Also I installed the exacta card from wannawanga.com even though it was for romans graflex. Its not here yet so I ordered a couple more instead of just sitting.

IMG_2791.JPGIMG_2792.JPGIMG_2793.JPGIMG_2797.JPGIMG_2795.JPGIMG_2794.JPGIMG_2798.JPG
Chaim mentioned the museum wax and I have been researching it. Crystalline has a product that has me interested. As of now, this is untreated but I need to treat this rust soon. Luckily hobby lobby and of all places, homedepot sells this.

Thanks for the tip Chaim. I was preparing to just use a spray clear coat. I think I like the wax better.

Back to the denix.
I went to ace and found a brass screw and ferrule. I know it's not completely accurate however it looks much better. I also cleaned up, and re worked the grips.
IMG_2801.JPGIMG_2799.JPGIMG_2800.JPG

I also added some paint to the scope. All the photos I have seen appear to show a painted scope. I'm really after that screen look so I have been searching and searching for screen shots that are clear.
IMG_2802.JPGIMG_2803.JPGIMG_2804.JPGIMG_2805.JPG

Nice work man!

you are correct there are still MANY mysteries surrounding that blaster :) including that disc, I really like your interpretations

there are a few photos that aren't on here anymore I've caught glimpses of them and wish they were still around. One looks up the barrel tip and you can see a solid surface and a very small hole, I'm guessing the bull barrel was rifled a certain way for smaller ammunition or something. I don't really know firearm lingo lol

Nice work man!

you are correct there are still MANY mysteries surrounding that blaster :) including that disc, I really like your interpretations

there are a few photos that aren't on here anymore I've caught glimpses of them and wish they were still around. One looks up the barrel tip and you can see a solid surface and a very small hole, I'm guessing the bull barrel was rifled a certain way for smaller ammunition or something. I don't really know firearm lingo lol

Thank you. I decided on cutting up the t track and using one antenna with the stem cut off like the ones I have seen on the accurate dl44 thread
14796880320021668112982.jpg

When I built the E11 I was on whitearmor and they have every last detail ready. The dl44 is alot of reading and research to get it right. The denix is close but at this point will have to be close enough. Perhaps I should have done more research before I went with the denix option. Todd uses a denix for his kit so I didn't really give it much thought.

Tedious little parts! I wasn't happy with the barrel greebies at all. Too thick! The clearer shots I have seen show more of a remnants of t track more than a cut down track. Also much much thinner. So I had some scrap L shaped pieces of styrene and made my own. Really difficult to take photos of but you can see this should look much closer to greebies on the top verses my first attempt.
IMG_2811.JPGIMG_2812.JPG
You can see the cut wavy edges I made to mimic the photos of barrel track.

Finished up the obiwan saber. For those of you on the fence about getting one, DO IT! Romans obiwan is awsome and so much cooler in person.

I cleaned it up some, kept the rust! Remember I bought this from the junk yard so it came already weathered. The windvane is brass and was really tarnished. It was a great weathering job however I backed a little of the tarnish off to let the brass shine trough just a bit more. Also I installed the exacta card from wannawanga.com even though it was for romans graflex. Its not here yet so I ordered a couple more instead of just sitting.

View attachment 684595View attachment 684597View attachment 684598View attachment 684599View attachment 684600View attachment 684601View attachment 684602
Chaim mentioned the museum wax and I have been researching it. Crystalline has a product that has me interested. As of now, this is untreated but I need to treat this rust soon. Luckily hobby lobby and of all places, homedepot sells this.

Thanks for the tip Chaim. I was preparing to just use a spray clear coat. I think I like the wax better.

so lucky man! i envy you, i want one of these in the worst ways... it looks great. homedepot sells the wax? when you do use the wax mind sharing your experience and thoughts about it? im curious to it as well

Tedious little parts! I wasn't happy with the barrel greebies at all. Too thick! The clearer shots I have seen show more of a remnants of t track more than a cut down track. Also much much thinner. So I had some scrap L shaped pieces of styrene and made my own. Really difficult to take photos of but you can see this should look much closer to greebies on the top verses my first attempt.
View attachment 684640View attachment 684641
You can see the cut wavy edges I made to mimic the photos of barrel track.

i never knew there was a piece of t track holding the pistons on?! wow! i dont know how i ever missed this?!

so lucky man! i envy you, i want one of these in the worst ways... it looks great. homedepot sells the wax? when you do use the wax mind sharing your experience and thoughts about it? im curious to it as well

Absolutely!

Thanks danny. I sold my vinyl cape jawa to fund this as well as a few more pieces for my toy collection. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have done it. This is one of the most expensive sabers but certainly the coolest. I found others for a bit less however I don't believe the accuracy and or quality would have been the same.

Absolutely!

Thanks danny. I sold my vinyl cape jawa to fund this as well as a few more pieces for my toy collection. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have done it. This is one of the most expensive sabers but certainly the coolest. I found others for a bit less however I don't believe the accuracy and or quality would have been the same.

i didnt know you had a vinyl cape jawa!!! Holy crap man!!! show us a picture of your vintage star wars figures! i collect them as well!!

i didnt know you had a vinyl cape jawa!!! Holy crap man!!! show us a picture of your vintage star wars figures! i collect them as well!!

Soon, soon. I have a a room (not big only 6x6) that has a pile of boxes that hold my collection. I do have all 96 including the blue snaggletooth. I just couldn't see holding the vinylcape jawa because the real value is the cape and if that gets damaged, no value. I felt it best to sell it and buy other pieces and the obiwan saber. I also have the majority of ships and playsets including the remote control jawa sand crawler. Only vehicle I don't have is a snowspeeder and that will finish my vintage star wars collection.

Last edited:
i never knew there was a piece of t track holding the pistons on?! wow! i dont know how i ever missed this?!
there's alot of small hidden detail in this blaster. I'm not sure about the esb or rotj because I have been focusing on anh. If you hit the link tom posted, you can spend hours seeing all these finite details. The barrel greebies are hidden for the most part but if they aren't there, you will notice.

Soon, soon. I have a a room (not big only 6x6) that has a pile of boxes that hold my collection. I do have all 96 including the blue snaggletooth. I just couldn't see holding the vinylcape jawa because the real value is the cape and if that gets damaged, no value. I felt it best to sell it and buy other pieces and the obiwan saber. I also have the majority of ships and playsets including the remote control jawa land crawler. Only vehicle I don't have is a snowspeeder and that will finish my vintage star wars collection.

wow!!! my collection is very small, i try to buy a vintage figure once a week but it never works out that way... blue snag's is what i want in the worst way but fear eBay..... dallasvintagetoys.com is great but he can be very expensive with even the 70 grade snags...

i also learned snag needs a green blaster? i much rather see the snag in person before investing that much cash... kind hard to see the blaster on eBay as well

i personally have never seen a vinyl cape jawa in real life... its a goal of mine

wow!!! my collection is very small, i try to buy a vintage figure once a week but it never works out that way... blue snag's is what i want in the worst way but fear eBay..... dallasvintagetoys.com is great but he can be very expensive with even the 70 grade snags...

i also learned snag needs a green blaster? i much rather see the snag in person before investing that much cash... kind hard to see the blaster on eBay as well

i personally have never seen a vinyl cape jawa in real life... its a goal of mine
Mine sold for 1100 and that was with a afa 60 grade. I had my chances at dt luke but that's when I decided no more valuable figures because of an accessory. I was thinking about just making a few custom pieces with repro parts just for fun, but repro is bad and heavily frowned apon and I have too much respect for the vintage star wars collector community.

Also, my collection is completely a loose collection. I can't wait to build my display

I'm not sure that's correct about the green blaster, I think it's dark blue but I need to double check mine.

Ok, so the grill is not fun. Cashed all 3. I ordered one off shape ways thats made to fit a denix. I will post my results once it arrives. Here are my results so far. I based mine off of the photos posted from kpax. There are only a few photos to work with but I think I they were enough . I like taking photos because I can see problem areas better. I still need to tarnish the brass feral and screw on the grips. I scratched up my grips as well but it looks like I need to make them a little deeper and a touch wider.

IMG_2814.JPGIMG_2815.JPGIMG_2817.JPGIMG_2818.JPGIMG_2819.JPGIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2816.JPGIMG_2820.JPG
For the most part, this is complete. Once the grill is here and assembled, that is.

That OB1 turns out to be rather good ... except for the cone, it should be deeper inside the emitter to be more accurate :)

By the way I recently purchased the vintage red Snaggle Tooth, since I knew I didn't have that in my collection yet . . . I'm not certain now if I own a vinyl cape Jawa . . . need to check my box with all the vintage figures that I found worthy collecting at the time . . . as for vintage vehicles that Sand Crawler is just recently on my list to try and score, unless I go for the huge RC model-kit, also on the list is the ROTJ Skiff . . . I just prefere to collect them used not mint in box ;)

Chaim

That OB1 turns out to be rather good ... except for the cone, it should be deeper inside the emitter to be more accurate :)

By the way I recently purchased the vintage red Snaggle Tooth, since I knew I didn't have that in my collection yet . . . I'm not certain now if I own a vinyl cape Jawa . . . need to check my box with all the vintage figures that I found worthy collecting at the time . . . as for vintage vehicles that Sand Crawler is just recently on my list to try and score, unless I go for the huge RC model-kit, also on the list is the ROTJ Skiff . . . I just prefere to collect them used not mint in box ;)

Chaim
Thank you. Would you happen to have a reference shot of the emitter so I can make my adjustments?

Agreed on the loose collections. More fun than looking at a box. I like to play with them. I did see what's now called box art. Nothing more than a photo of the original art work from the package but it looks great for displaying these sets. The sandcrawler is really cool. I can't wait to build my display and share with you guy's and gals. It has been many years of collecting but now I just need 1 more ship and I will have all the pieces I was after. Then I can go for a couple of optional pieces like the B wing or maybe an A wing. I collected the vehicles and playsets that I had always admired only but I do have the complete 96 figures. No droids or ewok lines though. They came out when I was in my teens.
You should check out rebelscum.com if you haven't already. Great reference site!

Oh, and I have the complete set of the 12 inch line

I made some adjustments per Chaim's advise. Went searching for shots of the inside emitter. Weren't easy to find but managed to find a couple. I also went to romans site and read through the assembly page but couldn't find the space reference.
20161121_213835.jpg20161121_213825.jpg

Does this look better? Thanks again for correcting me. Sometimes it's difficult to see things like this. Not many inside emitter shots. I guess the beauty is on the outside in thus case, lol. Plenty of those shots available

Last edited:
Between projects I have been making an effort to clean up after myself and I was actually doing well until I started on the dl44 and obiwan. Got to excited I guess.

Time for a major clean up before going to the next project. :eek

Chaim

Thank you. Would you happen to have a reference shot of the emitter so I can make my adjustments?

Agreed on the loose collections. More fun than looking at a box. I like to play with them. I did see what's now called box art. Nothing more than a photo of the original art work from the package but it looks great for displaying these sets. The sandcrawler is really cool. I can't wait to build my display and share with you guy's and gals. It has been many years of collecting but now I just need 1 more ship and I will have all the pieces I was after. Then I can go for a couple of optional pieces like the B wing or maybe an A wing. I collected the vehicles and playsets that I had always admired only but I do have the complete 96 figures. No droids or ewok lines though. They came out when I was in my teens.
You should check out rebelscum.com if you haven't already. Great reference site!

Oh, and I have the complete set of the 12 inch line

i agree with you guys, i like collecting used figures. i like them to have their real weapons though. the one thing i like about played with figures is they were once someones toy. someone had countless adventures with them and treasured them. how they ended up in the collectors shop or on eBay is another story. but i like holding on to them knowing they were once important to someone.

the only thing i would like to do is invest in acouple of those UV protected acrylic boxes like AFA uses to grade their figures. once i invest in a white leia, and storm trooper luke i really dont want them turning yellow on me...

chaim is you really go have the jawa, holy crap!!

- - - Updated - - -

I made some adjustments per Chaim's advise. Went searching for shots of the inside emitter. Weren't easy to find but managed to find a couple. I also went to romans site and read through the assembly page but couldn't find the space reference.
View attachment 684895View attachment 684898

Does this look better? Thanks again for correcting me. Sometimes it's difficult to see things like this. Not many inside emitter shots. I guess the beauty is on the outside in thus case, lol. Plenty of those shots available

i thought something looked different inside there. i always thought of it deep and dark. the scene where obi wan is in the death star hall way and pulls the saber off his belt you can see how deep it is.

i plan on purchasing a FX version of romans saber one day, but hope i can get the static part that goes inside the emitter.

your very lucky kevin to get one of those, i really want this thing. you know reading your thread is getting me into so much trouble!! financially!! lol

keep up the great work bud

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back