The Martian Space Suit

One screen cap:
Detail.jpg

And part one of Tested's video is out,.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/564321-replicating-martian-spacesuit-part-1-building-reference/

watching this with a scared glee on my face :)

I am *drooling* watching this. SO jealous!

And then even mentioned this forum! =]

Oh that note, HEY guys!

Haven't been here in a little while. Been busy but still following along.

Some Martian-related news in my own life: I myself will be partaking in a new commercial human spaceflight research program.

Seemed like the kinda thing you guys would be interested in, so you can learn more about it here if you want. There will be some more updates soon.

I'm really excited. :)

Just found these images, hope you find them useful.

With regards the clear parts being vac formed or blow moulded, I doubt either is the case.
On Prometheus, FB-FX rapid prototyped the helmets and after clean up the clear components were moulded and vac cast in clear resin which is why there’s no seams, and I suspect this is how these were produced.

I'm so jealous!!! I did notice in one of the shots you get to see them taking it all apart and as suspected there is an extra nautic cobra at the back connecting the harness to the chest piece.

Made a bit more progress on the wrist computer. I'm waiting on some more modules and sensors to connect to the Pi so in the mean time I've added some more features. All the settings such as sensors, relays and even translations can now be changed in a settings screen. I've also begun adding a comms/audio screen where you can play audio clips or even music. It needs some more work and graphics adding but its functional.

You only really get a good look at the wrist computer a few times in the film so I've been using this image as inspiration:

008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to build it in time for the oscar party, had to cut a lot of corners but its alright for what it was for :)
What I would do differently:
1. Buy 2-3mm PETG only.
2. For a fast build like this, use tape instead of spray paint. (or have more time to let the previous coats dry. -_- )
IMG-20160227-WA0025.jpgIMG-20160229-WA0068.jpgIMG-20160227-WA0032.jpg

Lots of cheating going on, but it was quite nice :D I forgot my 2 blood pressure meter air pumps at work so I couldnt get a supply of air going into the helmet, therefore I didnt build a neckring at all. Needed more lights :(

Last edited:
I managed to build it in time for the oscar party, had to cut a lot of corners but its alright for what it was for :)
What I would do differently:
1. Buy 2-3mm PETG only.
2. For a fast build like this, use tape instead of spray paint. (or have more time to let the previous coats dry. -_- )
View attachment 598302View attachment 598301View attachment 598300

Lots of cheating going on, but it was quite nice :D I forgot my 2 blood pressure meter air pumps at work so I couldnt get a supply of air going into the helmet, therefore I didnt build a neckring at all. Needed more lights :(
The links are not functional, I am interested in seeing your Helmet.

I wish I would have had more time to join the 2 halves, both came out a little bit different (the "90-degree" angle on the rim was warying a lot) So I just taped from the inside and used some hot glue to fix it. Raising the mold a bit would have helped but I didnt have enough plastic to do more runs. That meant that the usable part of the dome was 3cm's shorter than it was supposed to be on both domes.

The light is just shamelessly taped on the side of the helmet with a bit of aluminium tape :p

The inner radiation visor is just tape on the inside + copper spray paint

Since the last video I've done a fair bit of work making all the sensor updates and switch code completely asynchronous which helps with page load speeds and response times. I've also added a menu to make navigating between the different screens possible. There's no reference for the menu but its necessary.

After finding a really good explanation on how to calculate the time on Mars I've added a new clock feature which displays the time on Earth (based on your browser time zone), Coordinated Mars Time (the Mars equivalent of UTC) and mission time, based on the mission start date and longitude set in the settings screen. The design of the screen is again not taken from any reference, just styled in a similar way to the others. I'll likely tweak it a bit until I'm 100% happy.

I also added more graphics to the communications screen to make it look more like the reference images and made them animate with the audio playing. Currently it only plays a single audio clip but I plan to make it possible to switch audio file in a future version.

Finally, I've added a new alarm screen to match the suit pressure alarm seen in the movie when Watney comes round after being left on Mars.

I've a couple more sensor modules arrived now so next I plan to get them working.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to your font in the top of the display? It looks like it want from Foundry Gridnik to Arial.

Good spot! Silly CSS mistake I've fixed now.

Perhaps you'd like to add an option to set your 'Earth time' to JPL, Houston or Kennedy?

I thought about this but a google search suggested that the time Nasa uses when referring to a mission is a complex subject. The ISS for example originally used GMT-5 to match Houston but after the Russians complained because the ISS day was the Russian night the ISS was changed to work on UTC/GMT. Does anyone know if there is any reference in the book to the time Nasa keeps during the mission? Or Hermes time? I can fee a re-read coming on.

I honestly have nothing to contribute to this page. I'm just some movie watching kid from the East. I don't even know where to start since I just found this page and see how much progress has been made in several months. Wish I could've been there, sorry. Not sure what I can contribute.

The helmet could be made of PETG plastic (little trick I learned from Ryan Nagata. Look on Tested youtube for his spacesuit video) which is a lot lighter than Polycarbonate but probably not as strong nor clear. It's also a lot easier to work in a vacuum former. The helmet could also be made of fiberglass and the mold could be made of foam. Then once the fiberglass has hardened, spray some acetone onto the foam and it will dissolve. The "Snoopy Cap" could be made of Neoprene and have an actually headset and connect to the back of the suit through a wire and stay hidden. The wire would then connect to say radio which would be hidden inside the Life-Support Backpack (set to VOX just like real headsets of course). LED strip lighting could line the helmet and that visor would be gold-tinted obviously.

That's clearly my model, this is what I was a afraid of if I gave the model out, which I did to a few members here.... so who posted my model on Thingiverse? Not cool.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back