Revisiting the most accurate Luke ROTJ 'Hero' lightsaber

It would be nice also if we could get a run of circuit boards also at the same time: Real blue circuit boards, not just sheet metal with black lines painted on.

This is the only real blue circuitboard I found up for sale ... some time ago ... it was part of a high end computer :

alas at over $300 is was to much to have it shipped from New Zealand/Australia . . . it's no longer available either.

Chaim

Very little return for a such a big job...there's just no incentive and the risks are high right now. I think about it every so often but to be honest, I already know most wouldn't appreciate the price tag.

The days of big runs are pretty much done. Just not worth it to tool up for a dozen pieces.

Risk of cease and desist?

Curious what the price tag would have or would be....

Yep...most professional builders are just tired of dodging them. The boards are too high profile and everyone wants something for nothing. Things are just different, now. It's really why you seldom see complex, well done runs anymore. There are a few now and again...nothing like it once was.

I wouldn't even hazard much of a guess right now. It would take me all day to run numbers on the job. That alone would cost money.
It would certainly be nothing under 250.00 a blank as seen above. Materials are high, machine time is high...it's all high.

Now, could someone come along and do a so-so job cheaper? Sure, but you get what you pay for.

I'm gonna sit back and see how permissive the mouse is with the fanbase over the next year. I've been around long enough to understand how important it is to respect the new Don. I'm not apposed to considering something like this simply as a fan project, but it would be a a high-end project (and much later down the road) for sure.

Perhaps someone else will step up and roll the dice. I sincerely appreciate the interest though. :thumbsup

Risk of cease and desist?

Curious what the price tag would have or would be....

Last edited:
This is the only real blue circuitboard I found up for sale ... some time ago ... it was part of a high end computer :
I have seen several blue circuit boards, but the PCB edge also has to be deep enough. The most promising was an early electronic desk calculator, but it was also an expensive collectible that I also didn't want to get to just cut up.

As for making replicas, if there is no shop that would make blue PCBs I have heard of people dyeing their PCBs with fabric dye ... or a simple marker pen.

Note that the circuit board is coloured also on the front and back edges, which shows that it is the actual colour of the board substrate and not just a coloured solder mask.

Yes, I think that it is a greenish blue colour. There is a greenish tint in most detailed photos I have seen.
The DVD/Blurays show it as being royal blue, but then the discs are infamous for its bad colour timing ...

hello every one, i read about the first page of the thread and i just had an idea of making a solid display version. I once saw an aluminum casing method of basically sculpting some thing out of foam burying it in the sand and then you pour the aluminum in it turning the sculpt into a solid piece of aluminum. aka the lost foam method

Casting could get more expensive than machining, and the surface texture often leaves some to be desired. Obviously, the original prop was machined, so machining would be the easiest and most accurate. And yes.. we are discussing solid display versions.

Very little return for a such a big job...there's just no incentive and the risks are high right now. I think about it every so often but to be honest, I already know most wouldn't appreciate the price tag.

The days of big runs are pretty much done. Just not worth it to tool up for a dozen pieces.

I did miss the most epic Luke Reveal run ever and reading such a statement makes my heart bleed. :cry:cry
I definitely double NeoRutty saying that If You were doing any type of run I would be in totally!!!:D:angel

Regards,

Alberto

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back