1:48 scale YT-1760

Moreorless37

Hello all, I've just started work on scratch building a YT-1760 freighter and figured I'd post my current progress up!
yt.png
Here are the reference photos I am working off of. I scaled them to 1:48 and figured that the diameter of the dish is about 13-ish inches. So now I had to figure out how the heck to make the dish. I don't have access to a lathe, so I went to a technique that I had seen before.
20160418_124502_zpsijzyrktv.jpg
I cut out the circles of the main dish and the gun turret out of foam core. Now the part I didn't document was cutting out the contour shapes, but that did happen. as did filling the empty slots with expanding foam
20160421_172918_zpsgnajsk52.jpg
and then, bondo, lots of bondo
20160421_174954_zpsulfvogep.jpg
next step sanding.
I plan on molding and then casting the main pieces in resin. Let me know what you all think, and any advise you all may impart would also be appreciated :)

Thanks everybody!

><37, interesting project. Where did you get the idea?

Regards, Robert

I got the idea from a story I wrote about a Mandalorian character I made for the Mandalorian Mercs, actually. I needed a ship for a main character, and the 1760 fit the bill. And then I got the bug to scratch build a star wars model and chose this one :lol

Thanks everybody!
I got the idea from a story I wrote about a Mandalorian character I made for the Mandalorian Mercs, actually. I needed a ship for a main character, and the 1760 fit the bill. And then I got the bug to scratch build a star wars model and chose this one :lol

That is a cool back-story; perhaps it will end up painted with some Mandalorian symbology(?)

How did you settle on your scale / size?

R/ Robert

kruleworld, yeah, I don't envy me either :lol
rbeach84 Probably no Mando symbology on it, I don't want to get into the story too much, but I will say that it doesn't belong to the Mandalorian, but to his partner. As for the size and scale, 1:48 is the scale I am most used to working in, and since wookiepedia gives this ship a length of 26.5 meters it was just a matter of scaling the reference photos

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some progress on the dish done
20160425_165256_zpsmvhcla4r.jpg
Thank god for power sanders :lol I already refilled some areas as you can see. I have a buddy making me the cockpit in auto-cad then he will 3d print it. And I gotta start on the rest of the ship soon

I had never heard of this ship before, it's pretty cool looking. Do we know what the mandibles are for with this variant? I remember seeing that other freighters of this ilk were designed to have the mandibles dovetail into cargo containers or something, eh?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back