Reveal "The Force Awakens" models already in stores!

The Cartoon TIE is official,....but is slightly different to the Movie TIE,......the ball is smaller compared to the wings

....so does that mean that the Cartoon wings are smaller,.....meaning the cockpit is the same as the movies

....or....the wings are the same ,...meaning the cockpit is more cramped in the movies

J

No, no. It's the same TIE model as in the movie but in cartoon style. Note that Imperial Star Destroyers, Dart Vader, R2-D2, Grand Moff Tarkan and Lando Calrissian all appear differently in the cartoon than in the movie. I'm quite comfortable with the idea that they are all the same things as we saw in the movies but simply "cartoonified."

--Alex

If your comfortable with that idea, thats cool

....a lot of the designs in the cartoon hark back to Ralph McQuarrie concepts though

I would say that the TIE's in the cartoon are an earlier version than what are in the movies

J

No, no. It's the same TIE model as in the movie but in cartoon style. Note that Imperial Star Destroyers, Dart Vader, R2-D2, Grand Moff Tarkan and Lando Calrissian all appear differently in the cartoon than in the movie. I'm quite comfortable with the idea that they are all the same things as we saw in the movies but simply "cartoonified."

--Alex

Yep. This.

If your comfortable with that idea, thats cool

....a lot of the designs in the cartoon hark back to Ralph McQuarrie concepts though

I would say that the TIE's in the cartoon are an earlier version than what are in the movies

J
I would disagree with this. The definitely picked a "style" for the show. Look at Vader. We saw at the end of ROTS that his suit looked (almost) identical to the one in ANH. I have a hard time believing that for a couple of years he had some weird pointy helmet.

Or threepio. We know what he looks like. But he was stylized for this show

Does that mean that during the clone wars humans had stylized heads?

I would disagree with this. The definitely picked a "style" for the show. Look at Vader. We saw at the end of ROTS that his suit looked (almost) identical to the one in ANH. I have a hard time believing that for a couple of years he had some weird pointy helmet.

Or threepio. We know what he looks like. But he was stylized for this show

Does that mean that during the clone wars humans had stylized heads?

Character design is one thing,....the craft is another

The cartoon TIE's land on their wings,....whereas the movie TIE's wings are a lot thinner & finer

...I'm just suggesting that perhaps there are differences in the cockpit interior

I'm just throwing it out there:

http://starwarsrebels.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Fighter

Trivia

• The roaring engine sound for TIE Fighters was created by combining an elephant's scream, with the noise of a car driving on a wet road.
  • The word TIE stands for Twin Ion Engine.
    • LN stands for "Line".
  • According to Dave Filoni, the design of the TIE Fighter was influenced by the original concept art made by Ralph McQuarrie as well possibly based on the original Kenner Toys that were in stores during the early 1980s. For instance the wing proportion is shorter, enabling the wings to double as landing gear, and the command pod is larger in comparison to the TIEs seen in the Original Trilogy.
J

Last edited:
I've looked everywhere on the web for a release data but none specify these September dates. The Revell website doesn't mention anything either.
I bought them in a store somewhere in Germany. I won't say which one, I don't want get anybody in trouble.
They offered All four new light and sound kits, I picked up the new Tie and the resistance X-wing. The other ones I'll buy next week.

If you add any of the EP.7 models to the basket on the Revell site it says available Sept 4th. I know according to "leaks" of catalogs that a number of the action figures and playsets are due to be released on Sept 7th.

I think there are also Lego sets releasing this week as well, but not 100% sure.

Why can they never get consistent scales on these things?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a link to the Revell Light & Sound thread started last week:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245511

...as far as the Falcon goes there'll be 4 Falcons released by Revell this year

1. OT Master Series (The re-issued FineMolds Kit),....no price yet,.....although rumours say £200.....around November

2. Ep 7 Easy Kit....(hopefully not a re-issueof the existing Easy Kit with a new rectangular dish) for £60

3. EP7 Build & Play with lights & sounds & a 32" with a flattened hull for £17

4. EP7 Pocket size kit @ £5.99

J

Yes looking at the Level 2 Ep 7 Falcon Easykit,....it is indeed the Re-issue of the existing Easykit with a new rectangular dish:

milleniumfalcon-level2.png

Very disappointed in Revell's lack of effort

J

Sidewalls are different. But still way too high. A Useless and Misplaced effort. They definitely didn't take the time for a completely new tool. What a waste.

I'm not disappointed. I never expected anything decent from Revell. They did exactly what I knew they would.

Two x-wings, same toy, different crap pre-paint.

And let's remember that the models that Revell are really playing up in the above photo are not their models. They are Fine Molds models - a superior product made by a superior company repackaged and resold by an inferior company with the implication that they have created something Masterful.

Please.

Last edited:
And another link from a "newsletter" today:
http://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/starwars-bap.html

As a counter-point, to simply disregard the Revell issues as 'crap' is to denigrate the company's reputation & understate current reality. Looking at these kits from a "fact-based" perspective, it is obvious that these kits are targeted to an audience other than "serious modelers". Consider this: Fine Molds is a niche, 'enthusiast' company started from within the Hasegawa organization that is aiming at a generally more discerning Japanese modeling market. In fact, the Japanese seem to still generally value modeling as a serious hobby activity. Revell, on the other hand, is part of a large corporate organization that pursues profit via production & distribution opportunities. In short, it is run by 'bean-counters' (accountants) or a least is highly influenced by accounting concerns. So, one seems to be driven by a 'modelers mindset' first & the other is driven primarily by profit. Hence, Revell can not really be compared to companies like Bandai or Fine Molds where 'modelers' hold the 'wheel' - on top of them being Japanese. Would we compare Ferrari to Ford?

So, yes, Revell is emphasizing different aspects of their product development that result in simpler, cheaper (in quality though not necessarily in price!) toy-like products which will obviously disappoint a more demanding 'modeler'. Does this mean they are 'bad'? Perhaps just less suitable for our purposes. So be it. The Revell organization still, when they decide to do so, can produce absolutely fantastic scale model kits (examples being their new-tool 1/48 scale, Stearman, Mosquito & IDS Tornado kits, which I have direct experience with... and they are beautifully molded, well researched, affordable & accurate.) Would "we" have made some of the decisions they have made? No, we are 'modelers'. Does Revell make more money using the strategies they follow currently? Apparently yes, as they continue the same path. It is disappointing that such a long-running (and generally respected) company fails to live up to our expectations (or even maintain consistent standards...), but their goal is to stay in business, not make every niche of their customer base happy (with every kit.) Perhaps, if they sell enough "toys" (IMO, not likely given the price point...) they can put out a couple of excellent kits. Or perhaps there is ONE guy in product development that doesn't take models of movie props seriously like he does 'real' things like aircraft, cars, ships & tanks... aka 'standard modeling fare'.

That is the reality of the situation. It will be lucky if even *one* of Revell's SW kits meets "our" expectations, but at least we have alternatives out of Japan to feed our addiction for detail & accuracy!

As always,
Regards, Rober

Last edited:
I picked up the Revell JJ-wing last night at Target for Force Friday. My daughter wanted to get it and that's perfect. She'll build it and to her it will be fun and fine. For the same price (actually less), I'm ordering the Bandai JJ-wing from HLJ and I'll get a kit that will be far more accurate, detailed and pleasing to look at. We both win.

Well, new news becomes old news, I guess everybody can have a look at these in stores now. I'll buy the rest of my TFA kits from Bandai ;-).

Yorkie over at SSM posted this link:

It says "All Revell Star Wars models for "The Force Awakens" are designed with the same computer data used to create the movie props, resulting in strikingly accurate facsimiles of the vehicles that moviegoers will experience on the big screen."

Movie prop standard?

J

The link doesn't work. It probably was removed when they realized the comment should have been posted on a comedy website.

TazMan2000

Yorkie over at SSM posted this link:

It says "All Revell Star Wars models for "The Force Awakens" are designed with the same computer data used to create the movie props, resulting in strikingly accurate facsimiles of the vehicles that moviegoers will experience on the big screen."

Movie prop standard?

J
I imagine they indeed did start out with ILM's computer model data, but had to simplify this or that for the build and play assembly toys. The skill Level 2 models, such as the X-wing, TIE and Kylo Ren's shuttle, look pretty accurate in shape and detail. The Falcon of course is not because it's a repop of the old one.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back