Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

Re: Rian Johnson to write and director a new trilogy of films..

There it is. There's the cynical attitude towards LFL and KK :rolleyes Haven't even seen Rian's work and you're already doubting everything.

He's just mad because they didn't ask him to play Chewbacca in any of the new movies. :lol

And is this new trilogy on top of any planned standalone films?

Star Wars movies every year until we all die!

Disney: reinventing Christmas since 2015

Or maybe they've found in him the perfect "Yes" man--a writer/director who follows KK's orders to the letter.
I was kind of thinking this, but who knows. Not only that, but its some job security thats for sure. Like people have mentioned, is it smart to give the keys to Star Wars when its predicated on a movie that hasnt even come out yet? I personally think he is kind of a smug *******, but if he makes a good Star Wars flick I wont care. Still want the Zhan books adapted though damn it.

I don't know if he is up to creating an entire new trilogy or not, but it's good to hear they will star fresh on another for those
of us that are less then thrilled with what JJ Wars started.

I hope they go way way back to the first Jedi, show the first light saber, go all Jedi Knights of the round table and for gawwwwd sake
get rid of the cute/silly/MarySue BS. Granted it's Disney now but they did great on Rogue One.

Last edited:

I don't know if he is up to creating an entire new trilogy or not, but it's good to hear they will star fresh on another for those

I hope they go way way back to the first Jedi, show the first light saber, go all Jedi Knights of the round table and for gawwwwd sake
get rid of the cute/silly/MarySue BS. Granted it's Disney now but they did great on Rogue One.

Star Wars in medieval-ish times would rock! Of course then you have to decide whether or not to go "Wizards are a normal part of the current society" like in D&D or "They're witches and we must burn them". Either premise could be pretty cool.

You were doing so well...and then you ruined your whole argument with the Mary Sue none sense.

There it is. There's the cynical attitude towards LFL and KK :rolleyes Haven't even seen Rian's work and you're already doubting everything.

I said, "Or maybe...". I'm rooting for Rian's TLJ. I hope he proves to have a high SWIQ and that the flick kicks arse!

He's just mad because they didn't ask him to play Chewbacca in any of the new movies. :lol

Nope, not at all. I'm not tall enough, I have green eyes, and so I would've turned it down, anyway, even in the Bizarro world where they would've offered it to me. But I am stoked the guy they got, Joonas Suotamo, shares my Alma Matar! It's pretty cool to me that two of the few men who have had the privilege to play Chewie for LFL, matriculated at Penn State!!

The Wook

You were doing so well...and then you ruined your whole argument with the Mary Sue none sense.

I can't stand this 'Mary Sue' argument. Literally every main hero in SW is a so-called 'Mary Sue'

Dare I was what SWIQ is? I mean, what I stands for is obvious, but are the standards going to be something ridiculous?

Call 'em like I see 'em, I have to be honest. Actually all the TFA new characters are remarkably thin from my point of view for various reasons.
I don't care what happens to them at all. So the quicker they button it up the better for me and move on.

Nope, not at all. I'm not tall enough, I have green eyes, and so I would've turned it down, anyway, even in the Bizarro world where they would've offered it to me. But I am stoked the guy they got, Joonas Suotamo, shares my Alma Matar! It's pretty cool to me that two of the few men who have had the privilege to play Chewie for LFL, matriculated at Penn State!!

The Wook

Nice! Class of '04 here.

I've heard of the Old Republic stuff for years but I honestly don't understand when it's supposed to take place in the timeline. I thought the Old Republic was the same timeline as the Prequel Trilogy. If not, then what is the difference between the timelines, because all of the video games and artwork I've seen doesn't look much different than the Prequels. Plus I would imagine that it would be a hard aesthetic to create. One that would register in the mind as old. Star Wars is timeless, so it would be hard to pull off in my opinion.

Disney is going to make as much money as they can and they should. They are a business with millions of people on their payroll. I just hope that they try their best to churn out a quality product.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Rey was a MUCH more compelling character than any of the ones in Rogue One. TFA wasn't perfect but Rogue One was a dud. I have faith that TLJ will be good, and I don't have much hope for the Solo movie. We shall see.

As for this new trilogy I hope we will see stories that have nothing to do with the Empire/ Rebellion conflict and actually explore characters that we know nothing about, which is what I thought the stand alone films were going to do.

The Knights of the Old Republic games were around 4,000 years before ANH. At least with the games, you can immediately tell you're in the SW galaxy. The technology was similar just older.

I'm going to wait to see TLJ before I get excited. I'm about one movie away from being done with the Sequels.

I highly doubt they’d do the Old Republic. It’s been well-covered and they’ve already shown they don’t have much interest in revisiting what Star Wars did in the prequel era. And by prequel era I mean from Phantom Menace up through Clone Wars being cancelled. I know Old Republic takes place thousands of years before the PT, but everything about it, visually, aesthetically, and narratively, is meant to be associated with the PT vibe.

The last handfull of years have shifted it back to the OT, I can only hope (and assume given Rian’s body of work) that he’ll strike out in a bold new direction.

There's nothing Prequel related, at all in the Old Republic comics or games. They have Jedi, blasters, starships, etc., but nothing at all like the Prequels. I mean as far as the KOTOR 1&2, and the comics. No idea about the MMO game.

Hollywood has a history of negotiating Ten Year Deals with creative types a studio wants to Lock Up, so to speak.. good for Rian

There's nothing Prequel related, at all in the Old Republic comics or games. They have Jedi, blasters, starships, etc., but nothing at all like the Prequels. I mean as far as the KOTOR 1&2, and the comics. No idea about the MMO game.

It’s DNA is all over the prequels, from the music, to the dueling style, to the designs. I get that it’s 4000 years apart, but it’s a product of the prequel era. I’m not being pejorative, or saying that makes it bad— just that Lucasfilm is not interested in retreading over territory that’s been covered so well.

Being on this site has taught me better to voice a negative opinion when everyone is optimistic about something, but I'll say this: there was an interview with George Lucas, and I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere, ages ago (around 76-77, I think) where he briefly mentions ideas he's had for a set of films in the SW universe that went beyond the original films. So far removed from them, he said most people would probably hate it...

...I want that.

I've wanted that since... forever. In the alternate reality where that happened when these new films came to be, I envy them. I would rather have something that was divisive and made for some to love than something that everyone will like.

I love the OT, I like the PT, but everything after the PT has... not been my cuppa, to put it lightly. And what Lucas touches on in that interview, and as far as Disney is concerned, Star Wars is a brand. As in, to the majority of people, the tangible things about Star Wars (more current and specifically, the OT) should not and can not be strayed from because deviation from the brand is sacrilegious. It's the image people associate to Star Wars over both what Star Wars as a franchise and as films can be. Why did clear Coke fail despite it being the exact same formula as regular Coke? It deviated away from the brand. And in that brand, Coke must have color. And it's gotta be that "Coke" brand color. There were even talks by some that the taste was different because there wasn't any coloring.

It's all about the brand and people who are either wholly bought into it or not. Disney is all about the brand and has been for almost the past 80 years, and in that time, it's learned its lesson from trying different things that weren't met with the reception they were looking for.

Considering this, what these new films have been, what the line-up for the other planned films (that will stretch the entirety of my life) will be, how this is setting a trend for future films, on top of the fact that I only like one film from Rian Johnson (Brick), what can I appropriately say about hearing this news?

I won't stop drinking.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back