37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

I'm trying to work out my overall lighting plan and placement, and figure out where I want the main parts to go ... For the Landing bays, I'm thinking of hogging out the cap, build a new styrene insert, and I'm in the process now of building up the chaser strobe kit ... Think I will add a small lightbox, with power ran through another arm, for behind the viper painting for backlight and maybe from that run a couple of fiber "spotlights" on bulkheads/deck as well. Not sure yet on if this will all work, I will have to get the mockup build and see how much or little room I'm playing with.

There's not much room in there even on the full studio-scale version. Trying to do all that at 1/2 size is going to be a real challenge. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. :)

Attachments

• 2013-07-15_02.jpg
    2013-07-15_02.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 2013-07-15_05.jpg
    2013-07-15_05.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 2013-07-15_07.jpg
    2013-07-15_07.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 198
Hi All and happy new Year.
This is what I have done so far for one landing bay.
20140103_002011_1.jpg20140103_002014_2.jpg20140103_002014_3.jpg

And this is what I have taken for the light source

20140103_002223.jpg

More will come.

got my kit today. this thang has serious detail, pics DONT do it justice. this had to be a molding nightmare with all the details in it. I have several of mikes kits, this one takes the frakin cake!!! seriously underpriced IMO

thanks mike :D:D

View attachment 269977View attachment 269978View attachment 269980

View attachment 269983

More will come.

Hi Tor,

That's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve as well. Great job.

May I ask, is that a commercial LED chaser strip you've cut down, or a circuit/rig you've done yourself? - I've been trawling around but not seen a compact strip with a suitable chase sequence that I could cannibalise yet. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Nick

Hi Tor,

May I ask, is that a commercial LED chaser strip you've cut down, or a circuit/rig you've done yourself? - I've been trawling around but not seen a compact strip with a suitable chase sequence that I could cannibalise yet. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Nick

That's what I'm wondering as well!

Traveling back in time in the construction. Set up for the main gas pipe for the mount.

Highly recommending you use some scrap to reinforce the main body here, the lamination of the plywood and the resin will be nice and strong.

006_zps1e1a4b8b.jpg

009_zps0addb336.jpg

012_zps43e96b8d.jpg

011_zps81b043ca.jpg

Attaching the head, the supports here may be over kill but better safe than sorry. Using the 1 inch 1/4-20 bolts to secure the head. The 1/2 inch center is just the resin that is cast in the head, used for alignment. Be sure to check the fit of the detail plate along with the scrap reinforcements.

001_zpse398e7b0.jpg

004_zps1762d990.jpg

009_zps20ac8341.jpg

003_zpsf8815d47.jpg

006_zps6531f278.jpg

010_zpsd59b87a2.jpg

Hi Tor,

Cheers
Nick

Hi

Yes that's a christmas "snowfall" decoration with a plastic tube, with 20 LED's, but I used only 10 of them, allways taking the second one.
I drilled 2 holes in the plastic tube for each fiber optic for both sides, and had to carve out a lot of resin from the landing bay part, for the fiber optics not to bend to much. It is in my opinion the easiest way instead of taking a circuit board and soldering LED's, put them in place and then to fit the fiber optics to the LED. Don't ask me where I have bought them, as I got them on ebay germany for over a year for another project which never has been realised, but I think this should be easy to find now after christmas as a discount.

Raoul

A quick search for snowfall lights on eBay resulted in quite a few results for only a few dollars. :D

The dowel is for the center of the box that supports the engine section, you can use any 1 inch tube if running more complex lights and need the room. You will also need some 1/2 evergreen to align the box. I will post pics of it soon.

The t strip is detail for the front landing bay caps, I suggest you paint the red stripes before applying them, I left them as separate parts because taping off something that small and delicate would be very difficult.

View attachment 269977View attachment 269978View attachment 269980

View attachment 269983

More will come.

Interesting idea to use one of those light bars as a source for landing bay chasers. To synchronize both bays, however, I might actually use the actual LED circuits instead of fiber to send the signal into mini LED's by wire into each bay with a single light bar in the main body. This is especially critical, as I plan to actually build a full-size landing bay inside each housing, basing the design and top lighting on the transparencies. As you said, fiber doesn't bend too well but copper wire does.

I'm also thinking of using nylon fishing line in lieu of fiber. Not as clean a vehicle for light transference, certainly, but a lot more flexible and inexpensive compared to the real deal.

Thanks Raoul, that's a big help. As soon as you include 'snowfall' in your search as opposed to 'chaser' a whole new world opens up!. They seem to be mains voltage out the box, but looks like once it stripped down you got a battery hook up going on, which would suit my purposes better.

Cheers
Nick

Hi Tor,

Cheers
Nick

Hi

Yes that's a christmas "snowfall" decoration with a plastic tube, with 20 LED's, but I used only 10 of them, allways taking the second one.
I drilled 2 holes in the plastic tube for each fiber optic for both sides, and had to carve out a lot of resin from the landing bay part, for the fiber optics not to bend to much. It is in my opinion the easiest way instead of taking a circuit board and soldering LED's, put them in place and then to fit the fiber optics to the LED. Don't ask me where I have bought them, as I got them on ebay germany for over a year for another project which never has been realised, but I think this should be easy to find now after christmas as a discount.

Raoul

I'll be lighting mine with a wall plug. There's going to be a lot of lights in this beast. It's going to need to stay lit for a few days if it makes it to Wonderfest this year.

I'm still waiting on mine. Seeing the pictures posted on here has me chomping at the bit to get my hands on it! I've been building models for 20 years but I've never lighted a kit before. Is there a idiot proof step by step build log for the elctrical/lighting on these forums for novices like myself?

I'm still waiting on mine. Seeing the pictures posted on here has me chomping at the bit to get my hands on it! I've been building models for 20 years but I've never lighted a kit before. Is there a idiot proof step by step build log for the elctrical/lighting on these forums for novices like myself?

I was going to ask the same thing! I have been a builder for over 30years and have built hundreds of 1/48 WWII aircraft and Sci-fi injection kits as well as over 100 resin aircraft and sci-fi kits so building this one will not be a problem.But like you,I have never put lights in any kit. So I too would like any advice those here with experience in lighting can give me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back