Black Widow [The Avengers (2012)] - DragonCon 2013

Re: WIP - Black Widow [The Avengers (2012)]

Thanks! those bites look great! I hope I can get a set!! Haven't heard back from the seller in a while..I think he was on vacation. Those look like the gloves I have

I'm also trying to re-do my gunbelt, looking for a 1.5 inch tactical belt, all of the cordura ones are 2 inch and they probably won't fit with the Cobra buckles I already have, I don't sew so I'm trying to find stuff that I don't have to make, I want to re do my belt keepers too I like that pattern your drew up, but I don't know the first thing on how to sew it! LOL! What material did you use? Cordura? Where do you find that material, do you have to get it online? Sorry for so many questions!

I hope he can help you out. The bites and the buckle are some of my favorite parts of the costume so far. =)

And no worries about the questions -- glad to help out where I can!

For the belt, I think I ordered the larger buckle, and even I had trouble finding a tac belt that would work... which is why I ended up making the belt. I think it ended up being about 1.75" wide for the 2" buckle. For the 1.5" width, you might could stick with the nylon webbing, but reinforce it by stitching (or gluing with something very durable) it to another layer.

The belt keepers -- I made them from the same cordura I used for the belt and my husband's quiver. I found it at the local fabric store, and considered myself lucky -- the coating on the back isn't too heavy. One of the better places to find it online is Rose City Texties (fabricline.com). They have several different weights, with different coatings, and have an incredibly fast turn around on swatch orders. If you do go this route, I recommend item number 113-70820, which is a "725 Denier Nylon Cordura with urethane coating." It's sturdy, but the coating is thin enough that the fabric remains fairly flexible. If I'd had more time, this is what I would have ordered to construct my stuff with.

Cordura is... interesting to sew with. It works a bit like leather, in that your typical seam techniques may or may not work, depending on the application. For example -- once you sew a seam, you usually iron it to blend the stitching and give it proper shape. With cordura, you don't generally do that, and if you want your seam flat, you generally have to stitch it down (top stitch). I also discovered that E6000 doesn't really work well with the urethane coating on the back. So, while I planned to make my belt with glues/adhesives, I ended up sewing it.

To do the belt keepers, I ended up using the cordura and then a black broadcloth for the back/lining to help keep it lighter weight and easier to manage. Were I to do it over again, I might use something a bit heavier like a twill or lighter weight canvas. The cordura still made some of the detail work difficult or impossible for my intermediate skill level -- i.e. the top stitching I'd planned to do 1/8" from the edge had to be moved in to about 1/4" because of the bulk of the fabric, the texture, and my ability to manage the fabric through the feed dogs.

It's also possible you could do the belt keepers without lining or finishing the edges. Then, it would really only be about the one line of stitching and installing the snaps. I'll try to throw one like this together tomorrow afternoon while I'm tinkering and see how it looks.

If you decide you want to try and make them, I can try to put together a tutorial on the belt and the keepers. Just let me know. =)

Thanks so much!! I may take you up on the tutorial on the belt and keepers! It looks really good , almost like the slavepilot one!

Thanks. =) I have a pic of that set hanging as a reference in my sewing room, actually, alongside the studio shots of BW. Maybe after DragonCon, I can take some time and redo the belt so that I'm happier with it and it looks more screen accurate. For now, it'll have to do -- running out of time!

I'm actually about to go upstairs and cut out the bodysuit top. I've been a little anxious about it... and about how the fabric will photograph. I did the "photo test" with the fabric, but I'm still a bit conflicted. So, I finally decided the best way to find out how it's going to look is to at least get the top done. Hopefully I'll have an update this evening!

This one will have to be quick!

I'm still a little anxious about how this stuff will photograph, but I'm pretty happy with the way construction is going. (Note: It does seem to drive the camera a little crazy, like hers does in the super hi-res reference shots I have, so bonus?) I actually started with the fabric tonight, got the pattern cut, and would probably have finished the top, were it not for the fact that I need to go play taxi service to the airport very shortly.

top_wip_day1_rs.jpg

As you can see, pretty easy and quick -- side panels to the front panels, then the combined pieces to the back at the shoulders. Because I opted not to do the additional seams on the arm, the only places that needed the twin needle stitching were the princess seams on the front and the shoulder seams (which I didn't relocate). You can see a closer view of those here:

top_wip_princess_seam_day1_rs.jpg top_wip_shoulder_day1_rs.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll get the sleeves in and add the trim before adding the zipper. I started prep for the zipper tonight, however, by going ahead and placing a 1" strip of interfacing along the front edges, to help keep the fabric from stretching as I sew. Installation will be a little different on this as opposed to Valkyrie because I'm using an exposed zipper, but I still don't want to take any chances.

top_wip_zipperprep_day1_rs.jpg

I'll also need to shorten the top, since it should meet the bottom around my natural waist. That should be about 6 - 7" down from the underarm seam, but I want to have the bottom together first to verify before I snip.

More tomorrow... for now, gotta dash!

Last edited:

Tiny update today, as I ended up having to take care of a few more errands than I'd first thought. I basically got the sleeves set in, stitched up the side, and did some test fitting with the foldover elastic trim. Water-soluble basting tape will probably my new best friend. =)

top_wip_day2_trim_rs.jpg top_wip_day2_back_trim_rs.jpg

Proportionally, I think I need something a bit narrower...which I have, but it doesn't have nearly as nice a texture as this. I think the herringbone pattern does a better job emulating the defined grosgrain texture of the original suit than the more plain foldover elastic. For that, I'm willing to sacrifice a fraction of an inch. =)

In pinning the trim tonight, I also decided that I should try and get the pants together before I do final placement. That way I can at least attempt to be a little closer in lining things up at the waist. And all the trim has to go on before the zipper can be installed, so it's going to be interesting the next few days.

I also have a few things to work on for a baby shower this weekend; a going-away party for some friends; and getting ready to move. Again. At least it's only local, and only after the con. Still, I love how Murphy always jumps on the bandwagon in the final approach before DC!

Again with the errands, but I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours in the sewing room. In that time, I cleaned off the cutting table (again) so I could work on the collar and start cutting the bottom of the bodysuit. I had a bit of pleather laying around, so I opted to make some trim for the collar. While the screen worn actually appears to be a secondary collar with a bit more height, I cheated and just sandwiched a bit in the seam.

top_wip_day3_collar_rs.jpg

Not perfect, but not bad. (I need to work with that right side a bit and see if I can flatten it more.) With that done, I spread my fabric out to cut the bottom panels and realized, to my irritation, that despite my best efforts, I had cut the top wrong -- the greatest degree of stretch should have been on the horizontal, and it apparently wasn't. (I really did check!) I'm using 4-way stretch, so it's not catastrophic. Just means the top will be a bit more snug than I had intended... and I don't have time or fabric enough to try again. =\

That disappointing little nugget filed away, I moved forward with cutting the bottoms, this time with the appropriate horizontal stretch, out of the full width of the fabric (58 - 60"). I then pulled out the WonderTape and tape-basted down the trim, based on markings I'd made when I altered the pattern.

bottom_wip_day3_back_trim_rs.jpg bottom_wip_day3_trim_rs.jpg

Once I get the front panels cut, I'll sew the trim on all four pieces at a go. This is where inheriting a long inseam from my grandmother gets a little annoying: It makes sewing pants long, tedious, and boring. I busted out the Justice League Season 1 DVDs, though, so I have Bats and Wondy and crew to keep me company. While I work on a Marvel costume. Hah. =)

So close to being done, so of course the sewing machine has to break. Augh! Partially my fault -- I missed a pin, and ended up breaking a needle. Took it to the shop, thought we had it fixed, but it was still no-go when I got it home and went back to work on the spandex. ::sigh:: Had things kept going at the pace they were, I should have been done today. As it stands, it looks like Monday or Tuesday, and only that because the dealer loaned me her machine.

I will never understand why this type of thing always happens right before the con!

Me, too!

So today I had the loaner sewing machine, but I find I'm feeling a bit gun shy. It probably works perfectly -- it's exactly the same as my own -- but now I'm nervous about using it. How silly!

I did take the time to rethread the serger and, given my current hesitation toward the sewing machine, I opted to finish the pants on the serger. Since it was only the inside leg seam, which doesn't require any detailing, I figured it would be a win -- and it was! Took me quite a while to get the tension settings right with the new black thread, but I finally got it right and was able to zoom right through that 62" continuous seam. Wishing now I would have used the serger for the outside seams, too. Ah well. Next time! As it is, it took 2.5 episodes of 1st season Justice League to get the threading, tension, and seam allowance situated. They're still a bit wide at the ankles, and I'm hesitant to make alterations, lest I mess up the trim. For that reason I'm going to leave them as they are. I think hemming them a bit shorter and adding a bit of an elastic stirrup will help eliminate the bulk.

With the bottom done, I decided I needed to start placing the trim on the top so that I could ensure it aligned with the trim on the bottom, prior to stitching everything down. The negative ease and lack of zipper means that the bodice doesn't completely close on my dress form, but it's very close -- at least close enough for me to get the trim tape basted. So, I put the top on the dress form, grabbed the Wonder Tape and went to work.

top_wip_day5_trim_taped_rs.jpg top_wip_day5_trim_taped_back_rs.jpg

While I said I wouldn't be using pins again, I did find that I felt I needed them to reinforce the folds/creases in the trim where it turned corners. And, since this trim won't be coming off once I remove the pins, I figured I'd take the risk. I'm pretty happy with where everything is at the moment; the waistline seam (estimated in the white chalk lines) will need a bit of finagling, but I think I have the trim close enough that I think I can fudge any slight misalignment along the way.

It'll be tomorrow before the sewing machine dealer can take a look at my machine and hopefully tweak the timing so my stretch stitch works again. Thankfully, the loaner should be able to get me through the rest of my construction. I'll still need to figure how to place my arm patches, then follow up on a few things with Valkyrie (velcro on armor, shoulder strap on sword sheath, boot straps, and hand-stitching the final seam on the upper arm bracers; hem the bodysuit pants). Nothing like cutting it down to the wire! ::sigh::

I love how you measure time... "it took 2.5 episodes of 1st season Justice League"
Great :lol

I love how you measure time... "it took 2.5 episodes of 1st season Justice League"
Great :lol

LOL -- thanks! I actually don't have a clock handy in there at the moment, and popping up to check my phone is a bit inconvenient most of the time, so I've been estimating time this way -- however many eps of B:TAS or JL I've watched; which movies I've been through (The Avengers, Blade: Trinity, and The Fifth Element the day my machine broke, for example). Course, thie current overdose of B:TAS/JL eps also means I'm getting sucked back into the fan fic world. Looking forward to having time to write once all this is done...

And it only took me that long with the serger because I'm a total newbie when it comes to it. Need more practice! =D

Very stunning work there, miss! Very screen accurate. I like how you did the holster rig and strap set-up and all that as well! Can't wait to see the finished product! :D

Gah, I love Black Widow. :love

Thanks, Alan. =) It's definitely one of the most detailed builds I've ever done. I'd hoped to be finished as of last week, but didn't seem to work that way. For now, just trying for tomorrow!

Quickie update for now, to help keep me going: The loaner machine has its own quirks, so I'm working around them as best I can. Because of one quirk, however, I had to take out an entire line of stitching around the trim, due to a ton of skipped stitches. Ugh. Went back over it with a different needle and wider zig zag setting. Things worked out much better. One more step off the checklist!

top_wip_day6_trim_complete_rs.jpg top_wip_day6_trim_back_complete_rs.jpg top_wip_day6_trim_shoulder_complete_rs.jpg top_wip_day6_trim_side_complete_rs.jpg

Now a bit of a snack before I plunge into attempting to put top and bottom together and install a zipper. So... close...

wow this is looking really good, is the color black or dark blue, I know lighting conditions can make things look different colors.

wow this is looking really good, is the color black or dark blue, I know lighting conditions can make things look different colors.

Thanks! Other than a few flaws here and there, I'm pretty happy with things so far. =)

It's actually black, but between the lighting and the laminant, I guess it is coming off with a bluish sheen; the "daylight" CF bulbs I'm using in the sewing room tend toward a cooler white-blue rather than a warmer white-yellow. In normal daylight, the fabric tends toward black and gray, depending on the viewing angle.

Got the top and bottom together almost perfectly! Currently breaking for dinner, then going back up to redo the second half of the zipper (grr); close the remaining center seam; and then topstitch the waist seam. After that, it's adding the collar, and allowing it to hang overnight before I hem everything.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back