Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

:confused

poster.jpg

Well to be honest Wook, I got fairly bored of all the negativity after the trailer and some of the comments here were generating "unreasonably" arguments . So I decided to have a little Monty Python like fun over why Chewie looked so well groomed.

My families pretty much always had dogs and horses around since I was a nipper , they get to be outside and thus covered in good quality country muck and dirt, so hosing them down and brushing them is a regular thing, particularly when the dogs come into the house. There is nothing that messes up a freshly clean and painted wall like a dirty dog rushing in and shaking himself dry, as I have learnt to my cost ( as it is I notice a light pebbledashing of little greenish coloured specks (caused by dog sneezing) require the occasional wash off!)

So Chewies character is based on a dog and you've seen the state of the Falcon, so poking a little fun over the fact we've never seen Chewie EVER get take a shower or bath seemed ripe for a little **** taking. I mean, can you imagine what he smelled like after he'd been in the trash compactor on the Deathstar?

And given that everyone was appaerently getting so worked up over a barely glimpsed segment of film who cares? ( I'll be honest the fact the porgs have these little human like teeth creeps me out more substantially, along with those miniture dead black great white shark eyes)

Anyway essentially in sixty days all this speculation won't have mattered, the film will have been released and all this heated conjecture will have been rendered mostly futile. But we will probably have stacks of legitimate reasons to be either full of praise or properly aggrieved because we will have actually seen it .
As Dave Filoni puts it in the most recent Star Wars Show clip, "I know the fans will let me know whether they like it or not.Its more entertaining when they don't like stuff, because there is nothing they can do about it."

And he is right.

There is absolutely no way that anyone here influences one single decision made at Lucasfilm or Disney about the Star Wars universe. Its all pissing into the wind. The film has been made,its totally finished ,they have spent millions on it and they aren't going to change a damn thing about it now.
Personally I am totally convinced that niether Disney of Lucasfilm really have any solid idea of what they truely want to do with this hugely popular franchise they have bought. They,like every production Studio ever, just hope that for all the money they have paid to fund the creation of the movie ,it turns out to be something that people actually like and want to pay to go and see it. They re are in the business of entertainment, and it is a business which means they need to make money by making the right decisions, and that means HAPPILY entertaining us.

I personally won't deny that all this debate is sometimes very entertaining. There are some great people here and I enjoy reading some of their observations and opinions (as varied and sometimes completely bonkers as they are ) and there are genuinely some interesting and clever insights to be made on occasion.

But occasionally it goes a little too far to the daaaaaarkside.Which is why I wrote that mad little mini sketch.

And the comment at the bottom was just an observation. That no matter happens with many of the comments posted here, sooner or later the Wook seems to get dragged into it.

To me, sure, Chewbacca looks a bit different. But he looks different in all of the movies! I thought the squinty look in TFA was a bit off. His bangs in ROTJ were weird. And he looked completely different in ROTS. So, whatever. I know it's Chewie. Slight variations or different actors in the suits aren't going to keep me from identifying him as Chewie and watching his part in the story.

Luke doesn't want Rey near him! He's questioning his powers and his failure regarding Kylo. He's a hermit for a reason. Afraid to pass his tainted knowledge to Rey...he's in constant battle with the Dark Side, that's why he's saying: "Why are you here?"

Right, but as I said, if you take just ESB - the whole thing is his low point. The point was that in and of itself, you can make it appear Rey goes dark in the middle (or does go) and then return in a part 3. It doesn't take from the 'hero's journey' he was talking about. As I said, it matters where you are at the end of 9, not the end of 8.

Fair point :)

- - - Updated - - -

That's where you're not getting it, or the story, or the entire theme of Star Wars in general. She is the new Luke, period.

The female character lead in Star Wars seems to be a hard pill for a lot of fanboys to swallow. Boo. Hoo.

Lead female roles, like Rey, are a welcome breath of fresh air. The time for all-male leads is done. It's DONE. So, it only makes sense that if you have a character like Rey, that she is not going down a path where she will not be an inspiring character for young women. How is that so hard to comprehend? And if you don't want or welcome this....maybe new Star Wars (or sci-fi movies anywhere) are not for you.

I for one am tired of reading post after post about women in lead roles that are slammed to death, picked apart, nitpicked from every angle... that just screams misogynist rhetoric.

Rey is bad ass, she is here to stay (thank f-ing god) so some of you will need to deal with it.

Well said.

Hear! Hear!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds an awful lot like the people who got butt-mad about criticisms against the Ghostbusters reboot. Rather than listening to the real issues, they blamed sexim, misogyny...then the film tanked and is in the 99 cent bin at gas stations never to be remembered again because they're ignorance of reality overtook their feeble minds, creating a turd of a film.

Frankly, the issue of her being female isn't even the issue here, but since you're so intent on trying to establish a false gender-war for the sake of calling folks critiquing the films as "misogynist," you're not far off from establishing yourself as such since your post itself completely ignores ALL the previous films with strong female leads. What ever happened to all those who came before? They're now irrelevant because it's now 2017 and everything before yesterday is old? Hell, I'll just link it rather than trying to spout off a list. Google is a fascinating tool

http://www.amc.com/movie-guide/50-greatest-female-movie-characters

Honestly, the first movie that comes to mind is ALIEN, which has who? Ripley. Man, oh man, if you've been on the RPF longer than an hour, you'd know the ALIEN franchise has a HUGE influence on this community. I haven't seen the likes of anti-women hate directed towards that film before, not ever here on this board at least. Why was it so influential to our culture and this site? Maybe because it was a bad-ass movie that had a good story. That's the bottom line.

So please leave this kind of dribble on facebook, where it belongs. This is a discussion about plot points and character developments in the new star wars. This is not the place to make attempts to silence critiques by using sexism as a tool of censorship.

Did someone say "Diatribe"?

I think your signature speaks volumes as to why you react in such a way to everyone who disagrees with you.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly don't think they should make Luke turn to the dark side. Not only would it undermine his entire character but if he did, why wouldn't he have just joined Snoke and The First Order? Why disappear from the conflict? I'm so excited to see what they have in store for him and Rey.

I quite agree.

I think we have long since needed a character to explore what's in between the extreme absolutes of Sith and Jedi.

I have always thought Luke was the greatest because he was the one who realized that true strength exists as a mix of both.

Looking very much forward to seeing his character's development.

I really need to reiterate this, there is far too much capital spent on building Rey as the hero and Kylo as the villain to alter course now. From licensing to merchandising, Rey is the light and Kylo is the dark. Just as clear as the OT where Luke was the last guy and Vader the dark. Classic. Easily understood by both young and old. And fun fairy tale storytelling.

And this is all that i was affirming in my original comment.

Others brought in the issue of gender and i rebuffed it...but what you've said here is what i'd stated as well: Rey-as-written doesn't make send as going bad.

I don't think Luke would turn dark but I do think his agenda and that of Rey and the Resistance are at odds with each other. So in that respect he could be an antagonistic presence at least in this film.

I can see Rey pulling an Anakin -- doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. Just so long as, for the sake of the larger narrative, she catches her mistake and pulls back before she becomes irretrievably evil. A bit like Luke in ROTJ, but in a different way and at a different point in the larger arc.

As for Jakku... I think the facility there, the Force well, and where Rey was dropped (in the books Niima the Hutt was the boss of that region of Jakku at the time, possessing a huge collection of slaves -- Niima Outpost is named for her, so Rey was dropped right near the well) will be relevant, and not needing the books for the audience to understand. I think, over TLJ and Ep IX, plot-appropriate tidbits will be worked in as things unfold. What's in the books will be more detailed, and it being out there in the Aftermath books will be a compelling tease for those who read the books to payoff in the films later, but I'm pretty darn sure it won't be entirely omitted from the movies -- who Rey is, where she comes from, and why she was dropped on Jakku are all fairly important things about the character about which we can't be left entirely hanging.

--Jonah

Did someone say "Diatribe"?

I think your signature speaks volumes as to why you react in such a way to everyone who disagrees with you

The fact that you can't make an actual rebuttal to my argument but would rather defer to my signature block as your source of information to draw out some kind of "ah ha!" comment tells me that you simply can't make one at all due to your own **** poor logic.

The villain in AOTC was lense flare?

The villain in ROTS wasn't Vader either. Especially, THAT vader. That one was 30 seconds at the end - and while he went bad in the last 30 minutes, the villain was clearly the emperor.

Using the same logic - that makes Kylo a good guy, since in all 7 prior posters, the guy in that position was a good guy.

"Why are you here?"

https://makingstarwars.net/2017/10/new-dialogue-star-wars-last-jedi-tv-spot/

The next questions is "Do you have anything worth living for?" Yeah we've seen that show already. :lol
325px-B5_truelorien.jpg

I don't think Luke would turn dark but I do think his agenda and that of Rey and the Resistance are at odds with each other. So in that respect he could be an antagonistic presence at least in this film.

I think that if Disney/Lucasfilm is fine with alienating a big part of their fan base that grew up with Luke as their favorite character, then they could make Luke go to the Dark Side. I think it would just tick off too many people. Like you said though, a Jedi should be at odds with their allies if they disagree. That's why Yoda and co. screwed up falling into a trap that if they were true to their ideals, they would have avoided.

I think we have long since needed a character to explore what's in between the extreme absolutes of Sith and Jedi.

I have always thought Luke was the greatest because he was the one who realized that true strength exists as a mix of both.

Looking very much forward to seeing his character's development.

Yes. Thank you.
The way I've always interpreted THE FORCE, and THE LIGHT and THE DARK (since I was a kid) is this:
the Yan and the Yang.

yin-yang-ios-7-symbol_318-34386.jpg

Taoism is about accepting that you are not purely good or purely evil. You're a little bit of both.
It's okay to be angry. It's okay to be joyous. You can love, and you can hate. You can do great things, and also hurt people.
Taoism is about finding the balance.
Oops, did I say "balance"?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back