The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

most to all movies these days rock the "lived in leather jacket" look which in order to properly achieve takes years. wearing it maybe a few times will help loosen the jacket but unless you add elements in order to further distress it's going to be no where near a screen piece. If you compare my jacket which is clean and some of the high res shots, you can see they added shadowing on almost every panel which doesn't happen naturally, creavises tend to stay clean while the front face will get dirty but you can clearly see intentional shadowing done in a lot places that wouldn't have it.

also I use leather shoe polish which is great cause if you screw up it can be removed easily versus if you dye or paint.
The jacket also fits 10 times better now that I shrank it to my body frame, most out of the box jackets or even custom ones don't have that perfect fit unless it was made directly on someone.

I still would always reccomend naturally as many of times myself and friends have ruined $500+ jackets but just like naturally, it's all about patience, go little by little and you won't make mistakes

Are they really ruined, though? If it ends up looking like the film, which is what everyone wants anyway, I wouldn't call them ruined. Not pristine, sure, but that lived in style that is so appealing.

Are they really ruined, though? If it ends up looking like the film, which is what everyone wants anyway, I wouldn't call them ruined. Not pristine, sure, but that lived in style that is so appealing.

you can easily destroy a leather jacket when artificially distressing if your not careful. theirs a difference between distress to replicate an on screen appearance and going too far. when you take things like sandpaper, alcohol, sun, dirt, elements, dyes, water, heck even using the wrong conditioning oil can cause effects like semi permanently darkened, you have to remember your using a hide that has thresholds. trust me if you need proof just check out all the horror stories on the film jacket forum, those guys blow thousands on leather jackets and screw up a ageing job.

Just got my jacket in from Zlurpo, looks amazing!
View attachment 754309

Im borrowing your post as a quote to show the difference since you took a better out of the box picture then me but heres after my distress job

Photo Aug 25, 8 32 54 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 25, 8 42 33 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 25, 8 41 10 PM.jpg

How did you do that????
I take off the finish on the leather and take a shower with hot water with the jacket on my body, if its real leather it can shrink about 1/2 size usually, it can also loosen the fibers in the joint areas to give it that worn look. the key is to keep wearing it and as it dries the jacket will form to your body
on film jacket forum ive seen some members shrink a jacket almost down a whole size but that can lead to issues if your not careful, IE zipper wont shrink so it causes a wave effect

some people say you can wash the jacket to shrink it in a washer and tumble dry it with no heat but im to scared to do that, ive done this to most of the leather jackets I own as I have a slender frame and unless its a slim jacket, standard cut leather jackets look wonky on me.

Anyone know what the size on the EFX Helmet is going to be? My bicycle helmet is US L (57-59cm) and is borderline uncomfortably tight, but it's for safely, not cosplay. It sounds like some people here have some insider info into EFX and maybe, just maybe might know if it'll fit my large head so I can justify actually purchasing the thing or if I should just go for the Legends one...

I also emailed their Customer Service so hopefully I can get a response from them...

Is the efx star lord helmet wearable?

Anyone know where to get Star-Lord belt with gun holsters attached?

Anyone know where to get Star-Lord V2 pants?

Anyone know where to get Star-Lord V2 boots or boot spats? I'm not looking to spend $400 on boots or boot spats.

Last edited:
Solider you can check eBay or aliexpress...i have used eBay because of the PayPal protection, just make sure you buy from someone with really good reviews and reviews with pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
you can easily destroy a leather jacket when artificially distressing if your not careful. theirs a difference between distress to replicate an on screen appearance and going too far. when you take things like sandpaper, alcohol, sun, dirt, elements, dyes, water, heck even using the wrong conditioning oil can cause effects like semi permanently darkened, you have to remember your using a hide that has thresholds. trust me if you need proof just check out all the horror stories on the film jacket forum, those guys blow thousands on leather jackets and screw up a ageing job.

Oh yeah. I think that's what would prevent me from doing so. I'd just wear it for awhile. But I see your point with the vol 2 jacket. It looks a million times better with distressing. I can understand why you'd want to get it to that point as quick as possible.

They advertised the Hasbro helmet as 1:1. Which is why I also emailed EFX a couple days ago to ask. Especially now that the auction on the hero helmet gives the 100% accurate 1:1 measurements. I'm curious to see if it's the same.

I've made a video on how I made my Abilisk scanner. It may not be the most screen accurate replica in the world, but in the absence of any definitive word from James Gunn, it'll do :D

p.s. watch to the end ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back