Bandai release schedule

I must admit that the huge empty space in the cockpit always bothered me, I mean the military,...no military would design it big enough for the pilot to dance in!

I "filled in" the cockpit on my firstBandai kit so it looked a little more "realistic" and "busy"

Based on this that I found on the net: tiecockpit.jpg

I think the Empire made the TIE's center hull ball so big for strength. In an atmosphere pulling some G's those wings would be like kites and just tear themselves off or crumple a smaller hull. Also it looks good so why not? With all the crime they do they can afford to look good doing it. X-wings & Snowspeeders have really long guns, TIE's have tiny ones. It doesent have to make sense, its Star Wars and they look awesome! :cool Imagine if Japanese Samurai had TIE's, the hulls would be decorated with horns and big eyebrows and beards for sure :D the center hull would look like this .. I-:p-I

Those lil AT-ST's look cool, i cant see any reason why Bandai would make them any other size than roughly 1/144 to match the Snowspeeder and AT-AT. Accounting for a lil camera perspective they look about the right size to me. Im still going to wait for a big 1/48 AT-AT to make a Hoth diorama, but these lil AT-ST's and Snowspeeders are SO cool, the AT-ST's & AT-AT will be good for small Endor dio's too! :)

Those lil AT-ST's look cool, i cant see any reason why Bandai would make them any other size than roughly 1/144 to match the Snowspeeder and AT-AT. Accounting for a lil camera perspective they look about the right size to me. Im still going to wait for a big 1/48 AT-AT to make a Hoth diorama, but these lil AT-ST's and Snowspeeders are SO cool, the AT-ST's & AT-AT will be good for small Endor dio's too! :)

These are part of the mecha collection. The idea of the line is to fit inside a certain display space. This does not always mean the same scale, and historically the mecha collection for Yamato kits has been box scale

It seems like they might be trying to stick close to 1/144, but I do question the scale of the speeder and AT-ST.

IIRC, The original ESB AT-ST armature was re-used for the ROTJ AT-ST, so the legs should at least be the same height.

Looking here, it does look like either the speeder is too large, or the AT-ST too small, but is hard to tell because the ESB head is definitely proportionally smaller than the ROTJ head when compared to the legs

Also, apart from the X-wing, I don't recall Bandai actually officially attaching a scale to the mecha/vehicle collection on the packaging

I'd be curious if the things like the Y-wing and Tie's are truly 1/144 scale downs from the 1/72, or if they are tweaking the size a bit to fit the imaginary display "box"

This is the old little AMT snowspeeder that came with the AT-AT, mounted on a Bandai vehicle stand. Based on my measurements, this snowspeeder is an almost perfect 1/144 scale. The new Bandai snowspeeder (right picture) seems a bit bigger.

snowspeeder amt.jpg 097-1280x877.jpg

Last edited:
The Bandai speeder might be sized more like the F-Toy speeders (which IMHO, were close, but a little too large for 1/144)

Here you can see from left to right, the two F-Toy speeders, 2 MPC/AMT snowspeeders that came with the 1/100 to 1/120 ish AT-AT, a micromachines snowspeeder and the MPC/AMT snowspeeder that came with the Battle of Hoth kit
33D2TyP.jpg

The figure here is from the Battle of Hoth kit and is pretty much spot on for 1/144.

qbu7npV.jpg

Id :love LOVE :love to see Bandai make a 1/1 Thermal Detonator, Hans Blaster and Reys Pistol, that would be so cool :thumbsup

If an inch tall pilot is considered infringement on an action figure license (ridiculous in the extreme!) then this will never happen.

If an inch tall pilot is considered infringement on an action figure license (ridiculous in the extreme!) then this will never happen.

Is that why Mr Flatty exists? If so thats full on retarded and so are Disney, talk about childish. You can have a TIE pilot but, WHOOAAA!!! he STOOD UP! and walked around his spaceship doing some preflight checks and someone got their panties in a twist over that? SIT down or i will SUE your ass! :lol Luke stay in your Snowspeeder and get crushed, its the law! :facepalm

Is that because of those orange toy/nerf guns? Or it because of those high end companies making exact replicas like Darths melted helmet? What about the Thermal detonator, will Oranges sue? Oh the worlds a mess, i need Rey to visit me in a time machine and ill go live in the real Star Wars Galaxy and live in an abandoned AT-AT, Help me Daisy Ridley your my only hope.

I thought the flat figure was to simulate a drawing and that was the figure to show scale. Cool thing, I thought, but if it's a copyright thing, I'm shaking my head. Like this- the figure is at the bottom center.ship.gif

I thought the flat figure was to simulate a drawing and that was the figure to show scale...

Nope. The first kits had a fully detailed standing pilot in addition to the sitting one, just like Finemolds had. But starting with the A-Wing the standing pilot was only a flat silhouette, and later releases of the other kits were changed to the flat guy also. Word is it's because of some licensing issue involving action figures. I don't know where the complaint originated, if it was Disney or an action figure licensee, but it is beyond stupid. A solid standing figure of any size included as part of a vehicle model kit has been a thing for as long as models have been around, and they are not action figures. Plenty of plane, armor and car kits have included such figures, it's expected. MPC Star Wars kits had standing figures, when Kenner was making action figures of the same characters and no one got their panties in a bunch over it.

We are truly living in stupid times :facepalm

I don't get how it interfered with the auction figures. LEGO got around that by having figure packs that included a vehicle. I don't know why that same rule doesn't apply to models?

Micro Machines makes tiny figures, doesn't it? Perhaps it was a childish jab because someone's 1/12 scale poseable figure models are beating the pants off someone else's poseable "collectable action figures" at least in quality.

All the rats want a piece of the cheese? '^P

R/ Robert

I must confess, I had never thought about the reason why the figures have become flat. I took them "as given" / "as is" and thought it was just a creative decision to represent a line drawing to demonstrate the scale.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back