Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

View attachment 662507View attachment 662508View attachment 662509
Hi everyone!
So far it's been a slow process of collecting supplies etc for this costume but I finally put together my staff. I'm pretty happy with it as it's my first attempt at a costume prop and like the way the weathering turned out. Only problem is that I can't seem to get all the pieces to stay together. For people who made their own staff from pvc pipe and assorted household pieces, what sort of glue did you use to keep it together?? I've tried out a few "heavy duty" glues from bunnings with no real luck so far.
(This is a before and after I knocked it over and everything fell apart :facepalm)

I would use a 2 part epoxy, and if that does not work use JB weld putty epoxy. Just roll a bit into the piece and slide it on to the next piece and hold.
It cures in minutes, can be sanded and painted.

what sort of glue did you use to keep it together?? I've tried out a few "heavy duty" glues from bunnings with no real luck so far.
gorilla glue

.....and that rey looks awesone, i especially like the backpack and bottles!

Wow!! Thank you everyone!! Your compliments are very, very encouraging, and we have been seriously inspired by what you all have done throughout this build. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

I really like the wrap job on the staff. Any pointers? I'm almost done with my staff build.
We used some scrap thin leather from another project, and some extra fabric from the shirt material (half of it dyed brown). I padded it up first with some scrap white fabric, and then wrapped over that so that I didn't waste the good stuff :)

As mentioned the backpack and bottles are spectacular!
Thank you so much!! I 3D modeled & printed all of them myself, and put a day or two into getting them finished just right. Very happy with them :D (I'm thinking of perhaps making these available in kit/finished form?)

DSC_0811.JPG

The Backpack is a modified leather bag that I purchased here (I must have looked at 100,000 bags :wacko): https://www.etsy.com/listing/211655586/handmade-leather-backpack-rucksack - I cut the top off and had just enough extra leather to make my modifications.

20160829_125935.jpg

We had to purchase the leather shoulder straps from Hobby Lobby, and I painted them with Americana Raw Umber Acrylic paint (which astonishingly was practically identical to the color of the bag!). I had to sew it all by had because we didn't have a machine powerful enough to do it.. so it took me a few days of painful fingers and pulling needles through with pliers to get it done. To save my raw fingers, I used rivets on the stuff that wasn't really seen, which I weathered with sandpaper and a mist of black spray paint. I airbrushed the whole thing with some reddish/rusty colored paint and some dirt colored chalk paint (chalk paint makes convincing dirt!)

My wife and I had a great time at Rose City Comic Con, She hung out all weekend with my functional BB-8 and we were a big hit!

CsGbm7DUkAAWtSS.jpg 20160911_122630-1.jpg 20160911_113719.jpg

Last edited:
awesome! I saw those bottles and said to myself, "those must be a 3d print". Did you have some reference that the side piece has a blade on the lower part? this is the first i'm seeing of that.

awesome! I saw those bottles and said to myself, "those must be a 3d print". Did you have some reference that the side piece has a blade on the lower part? this is the first i'm seeing of that.

No, I just didn't have any reference at the time showing it sticking out of the bottom flap (I've since seen some though, thanks Kendra!), and the leather handle on the top made me think it could be a knife. But no, it's not a knife, but the ugly carved looking wooden dowel thing isn't nearly as cool :cool

Thank you so much!! I 3D modeled & printed all of them myself, and put a day or two into getting them finished just right. Very happy with them :D (I'm thinking of perhaps making these available in kit/finished form?)

View attachment 663590

View attachment 663587

If you do, I'd be all over the two main bottles! I have them, but they are undersized. I'd love to buy them if you make them available.

Also, I'd like to particularly compliment you on your goggles!

Speaking as one who has made over 50 pairs, I still keep looking at yours and thinking what I could have done to make mine look more like yours. Top Job! :-D

Hello - just scrolling through this thread give me the chills you are all very talanted :D
I'm searching for these clip. to make the small bag accurate. Is there a good source to get one?

taSWuOp.png

Thank you!

Wow!! Thank you everyone!! Your compliments are very, very encouraging, and we have been seriously inspired by what you all have done throughout this build. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

We used some scrap thin leather from another project, and some extra fabric from the shirt material (half of it dyed brown). I padded it up first with some scrap white fabric, and then wrapped over that so that I didn't waste the good stuff :)

View attachment 663590

The Backpack is a modified leather bag that I purchased here (I must have looked at 100,000 bags :wacko): https://www.etsy.com/listing/211655586/handmade-leather-backpack-rucksack - I cut the top off and had just enough extra leather to make my modifications.

View attachment 663602

We had to purchase the leather shoulder straps from Hobby Lobby, and I painted them with Americana Raw Umber Acrylic paint (which astonishingly was practically identical to the color of the bag!). I had to sew it all by had because we didn't have a machine powerful enough to do it.. so it took me a few days of painful fingers and pulling needles through with pliers to get it done. To save my raw fingers, I used rivets on the stuff that wasn't really seen, which I weathered with sandpaper and a mist of black spray paint. I airbrushed the whole thing with some reddish/rusty colored paint and some dirt colored chalk paint (chalk paint makes convincing dirt!)

My wife and I had a great time at Rose City Comic Con, She hung out all weekend with my functional BB-8 and we were a big hit!

View attachment 663589 View attachment 663588 View attachment 663587
I would be interested in a 3-D print of the bottles. They look great!
Do you think it would be possible to make them functional or not?
Your BB-8 is fantastic! Great job!

Last edited:

View attachment 663590

View attachment 663602

That bag looks GREAT as a base....and Id be interested in the parts possibly....havent had time to work on anything Rey related for my wife in a while and making things like these is my area....if they came raw that would be great as I like to do finishing work.

View attachment 663590

View attachment 663602

View attachment 663589 View attachment 663588 View attachment 663587

You're welcome ! Your cosplay is awesome, it's the best I've seen so far I think !
What dye did you used fo the wrap-dress ? It look exactly like the real costume, really impressive.

Last edited:
wow, I thought those were your goggles Kristen!

Nope... not mine. But they are as good or better than mine. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hello - just scrolling through this thread give me the chills you are all very talanted :D
I'm searching for these clip. to make the small bag accurate. Is there a good source to get one?

View attachment 663614

Thank you!

I assume you're working on the belt pouch?

That is the end cap of British Web Strap which comes on the bag. I *may* have an extra one at home, but it's set on with special rivets, so i'm not sure how you'd go about attaching just the end cap. it would be better to just use a surplus 1" web strap with the piece on it and sew it onto your pouch.

I took some time to model up the staff greeblies. I printed off all the parts, but I made it as a kit for my brother to assemble so I don't have completion photos yet. The intention was for these pieces to be installed over a piece of 1" EMT conduit, so it's a hair larger than most of the other versions I've seen here. It's also going to be heavier than most replicas, but that was by design since I wanted it to have some heft. I haven't seen many free, high quality models posted... so I figured I'd remedy that. I'm also not sure how you feel about thingiverse, but here we go!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1763078

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back