TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I'm making my TFA saber from a Graflex 2-cell I've had for years. I'm making my own end cap to look as close to the 3-cell as possible, including salvaging the 2-cell end cap (most of the inconsistencies will be covered by the clip). If people are interested in a more detailed post, let me know. Here's a preliminary progress shot next to the 2-cell end and a crappy old sink tube that I had on there for a while.

Clzpwsj.jpg

Last edited:
I'm making my TFA saber from a Graflex 2-cell I've had for years. I'm making my own end cap to look as close to the 3-cell as possible, including salvaging the 2-cell end cap (most of the inconsistencies will be covered by the clip). If people are interested in a more detailed post, let me know. Here's a preliminary progress shot next to the 2-cell end and a crappy old sink tube that I had on there for a while.

View attachment 587336

I'm very interested as I have a 2cell bottom I'd like to use as well. I have no idea how to do it and probably don't have the correct tools, but am very curious on how you go about it. BTW, for some reason it says the attachment is invalid.

I saw TFA again the other day, and thanks to this thread I was watching the Graflex. It looked different from shot to shot-- not even scene to scene, but within scenes. The two shots of it in the snow seemed like the grip end gap was different between them.

Not saying it is, I suspect it is just angles-- but yeah. It's going to be really hard to tell until Blue Ray day.

Last edited:
The image should be fixed. I'll write a more detailed post in a new thread as soon as I'm satisfied with it. Hoping to finish up this weekend.

I say TFA again the other day, and thanks to this thread I was watching. It looked different from shot to shot-- not even scene to scene, but with in scenes. The two shots of it in the snow seemed like the grip end gap was different.

Not saying it is, I suspect it is just angles-- but yeah. It's going to be really hard to tell until Blue Ray day.

For the snow scene the Graflex is the light up version with the antenna sticking out the bottom for sound analysis so in that scene it's for sure different from shot to shot. Obviously the saber(s) stuck in the snow has(have) the normal end without the antenna so you are absolutely correct in that it varies within the scene.

Did anyone else think that Rey's dueling saber looked a bit thinner then the standard graflex, like they made a special stunt saber just for her to wield?

Dan

It would make sense. That's half the reason the ROTS version was scratch made, since their duels were so belabored. Anyone who's held a real Graflex knows that real dueling with it could shred your hand.

The surface of the steel comes mat and without brushed texture, but you need to brush it by hand (with 600+ grid sand paper)

attachment.php

So the question is: shall I make THIS version available? (price $15, available in 1-2 weeks)
Or shall I continue the development and make it with engraved grooves and WITH a brushed texture? ($15, available in 5-6 weeks)

Let me know what you think!
Make the pictured version available! I'm not sure how the engraved version differs from cutouts, but the cutouts in the pictures look dead on to the movie prop, plus the finish is already brushed enough, IMO. Only the grooves need to be a tad closer to the square cutouts...

Make the pictured version available! I'm not sure how the engraved version differs from cutouts, but the cutouts in the pictures look dead on to the movie prop, plus the finish is already brushed enough, IMO. Only the grooves need to be a tad closer to the square cutouts...

That brushed metal looks like it does because I did that myself (took only 2 minutes with some sandpaper).
For now, I'm going for the embossed grooves, but I might also arrange this version for those who prefer that.
I currently don't have them yet; I only had one sample.

Grooves closer to the square holes? No, I don't think so.

Did anyone else think that Rey's dueling saber looked a bit thinner then the standard graflex, like they made a special stunt saber just for her to wield?

Dan

I thought it looked exactly like the one Finn used, especially since we have on-set photos of her using the same lighted blade saber that was used by Finn.

Unless Hyperdyne also supplied electronics that would fit a smaller diameter saber.

That brushed metal looks like it does because I did that myself (took only 2 minutes with some sandpaper).
For now, I'm going for the embossed grooves, but I might also arrange this version for those who prefer that.
I currently don't have them yet; I only had one sample.

Grooves closer to the square holes? No, I don't think so.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Either way, it looks great, but what difference--if any--would the embossed grooves have?

Concerning the length of the grooves (I realized they should actually be called slots (which cover the clamp grooves)):

sleeve_grooves2_zpsegaocna1.jpg

I hate to refer to a picture with just simple lines drawn on it, but some things are just too plain for anything else. The gap between the sleeve slot ends and the rectangular holes is further apart on your sleeves with respect to the width of the holes than is on either an original Graflex clamp or the movie prop. Assuming the dimensions of your sleeves holes are dead on, I estimate the necessary reduction of this gap on your sleeve to be between 0.34 to 0.37 millimeter. In other words, your slot ends would need to extend that much further to match an original clamp as well as the prop sleeves. The clamp in the picture is vintage and not mine, but it is identical to both vintages clamps that I do own and most probably every other out there. Leaving it the way it is would somewhat ironically make your sleeves look like the FX clamp rather than the movie prop.

Crimsonnaire: I see what you mean. Very sharp eagle eyed!
But I took this image (and the VD image) as reference.
It's a picture I took myself from TFA of the saber lying in Maz's box when Rey opens it.

Luke-Rey-TFA-Maz-box.jpg

I think it looks a little wider than on the Graflex itself.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but does anyone know the correct orientation for the clamp card ?

The Launch Bay props have the thin leads pointing toward the clamp lever, but some promo materials have the thick leads pointing toward the clamp lever. My gut feeling is the LB cards were put in upside down, but time (and the bluray) will tell.

Roy, I don't recall which scene shows the clamp card clear enough to see for any period of time, which one are you referring to?

Roy, I don't recall which scene shows the clamp card clear enough to see for any period of time, which one are you referring to?

It's very tricky and very brief; it's when Maz hands over the saber to Finn after Rey rejected it. I've double checked it with the lousy cam version that is available.

Roy, when can we order? [emoji851]

You mean the clamp cards? Those are available. The clamp cover will take till the end of March.

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

It's very tricky and very brief; it's when Maz hands over the saber to Finn after Rey rejected it. I've double checked it with the lousy cam version that is available.

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

Ah I see, good to know, thanks! By the way, can't wait to get my clamp card in the mail from you! Looking forward to your future clamp cover as well, and high hopes for TFA style t-track...!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back