Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
With the same Alex Kurtzman who has pretty much torpedoed Universal's Dark Universe films do to his unbelievable ineptness....I can't wait to see what happens. Guy is already on an apology tour about screwing up the Mummy.
Isn't this one of the "I'm a trekkie" a**hats from New Coke Trek?

\\ Posted from an iPad Mini kybd — intelligibility is circumstantial //

But for us old folks, just remember how weird it was seeing ST:TMP for the first time and seeing the new Klingons. That was a MAJOR departure from the Klingons we already knew.

But for us old folks, just remember how weird it was seeing ST:TMP for the first time and seeing the new Klingons. That was a MAJOR departure from the Klingons we already knew.

Um,…*new Klingons? I was so gobsmacked by the new D7 battle cruisers by Greg Jein (?) zooming by that I almost didn't notice.

When I found out the captain was Mark Lenard, I really fell outta my seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mVGReyL.jpg

Well yes and no, there were some magazine pictures circulated even newspaper articles I think that had some pictures ahead of time, so I was forewarned.
And the TMP Klingons didn't stick around very long thanks to V'ger
Of course Kirk, Spock McCoy and gang, the familiar family was all present and accounted for. It would have been much more jarring if it was an all new crew back then, most would have freaked without them. So we had the familiar shepherding and holding our hands for some changes, Changes that became fully established for decades to come.

Though the TMP Klingons didn't exactly look like Worf did they?

...Changes that became fully established for decades to come.
Exactly. TOS had only established the Klingons over a few of episodes across three seasons. With the changes in TMP, the new basic look had 10 features and 25 seasons of fair consistency.

I honestly hope the new-look Klingons are Hur'q or proto-Klingons. The whiny complaining fanboy in me would absolutely love to be trolled by the production that way.

Yes, I know we had seen a few images of them (kind of like here, huh?), but remember when ST:TMP came out it was almost ten years since the OT. So, for almost a decade, OT Klingons were all we had. I remember seeing my first image of the new Klingons in Starlog and thinking, Wow, that is quite a departure from the established Klingons. It was quite a shock. I didn't have a problem with it, it was just different. It took me a little while to get used to the new Enterprise also, again, for both, simply because it was different from what I knew.

Look, I'm not trying to justify these new Klingons, I don't really like the look either, I'm just sayin'.......

Yes, I know we had seen a few images of them (kind of like here, huh?), but remember when ST:TMP came out it was almost ten years since the OT. So, for almost a decade, OT Klingons were all we had. I remember seeing my first image of the new Klingons in Starlog and thinking, Wow, that is quite a departure from the established Klingons. It was quite a shock. I didn't have a problem with it, it was just different. It took me a little while to get used to the new Enterprise also, again, for both, simply because it was different from what I knew.

Look, I'm not trying to justify these new Klingons, I don't really like the look either, I'm just sayin'.......

On the flipside of that, the basic Klingon design we saw in TMP lasted through 40 years, which included ten movies (Chang was an anomaly of casting. Christopher Plummer only agreed to do the role provided the makeup be not so severe) and four TV series, before being slightly redesigned again for Star Trek: Into Darkness, and even then, they were still recognizably Klingon. This new version, if they are indeed Ancient Klingons and not the Hur'q like I postulated a while back, are far more lizardlike than any Klingon we've seen before. Maybe they are Klingons who took a different evolutionary path than the standard, much like the Romulans did compared to the Vulcans, or perhaps they really are the Hur'q, who conquered Qon'Os and were driven out, and the Klingons took their ships and tech as their own.

Only time will tell.

Being only 6 when TMP came out, and already being hooked on TOS, it's funny that I never once questioned why Klingons looked so different. So I kinda grew up in that transition period that it never bothered me, and I rarely even questioned it in-verse as I got older.

One thing that was the constant in Star Trek. For me anyway. The movies, and all the series, even Enterprise, FELT like Star Trek. All the changes, evolutions, et c, that was the one constant. Until the new movies. I still liked the new movies as quasi Star Trek action flicks, but they kind of last the luster of that feeling of something. Even Enterprise, though I wasn't a big fan. And I HATE DS9 and Voyager. But they felt like Star Trek.

The fan stuff is the same too. Continues felt like Star Trek. That silly axanar thing didn't even remotely feel like Star Trek.

So I'm really hoping, despite the inevitable changes and evolution that ST:D is, that it feels like Star Trek. No matter what, that's what it's going to boil down to when I watch that first 10 minutes.

Hopefully it doesn't do that incredibly contrived back story, back in time theme that seems to be so crazy prevalent in a lot of shows now too. Good god, I hate that. We can't think of a story to move the show forward, so lets fill it with character back story of when their 10 or something. :p But that's just me. It's a pretty popular them apparently.

I could see that as a dress uniform but it's far too bling bling otherwise.
The thing is, most of these folks, if not all working these shows never served in the military unlike several key people that contributed to TOS
So there are several steps removed from the inspirations that gave Trek some gravity.
On board carriers, the people working the deck would be dressed in different colors indicating what their tasks were for instance.
The braiding on the shirt cuffs, very much a military inspired feature indicating rank. TOS Trek gave a real working fleet feel. Enterprise leaned a little more on NASA than Navy.. Granted similar things get carried over
as the various series continued but it's starting to show a less then direct path to the source inspirations from the real world that ground things just enough so what we are pretending is going to be real seems... real. Even the TOS Enterprise design herself has some B17 in her.

I could see that as a dress uniform but it's far too bling bling otherwise.
The thing is, most of these folks, if not all working these shows never served in the military unlike several key people that contributed to TOS
So there are several steps removed from the inspirations that gave Trek some gravity.
On board carriers, the people working the deck would be dressed in different colors indicating what their tasks were for instance.
The braiding on the shirt cuffs, very much a military inspired feature indicating rank. TOS Trek gave a real working fleet feel. Enterprise leaned a little more on NASA than Navy.. Granted similar things get carried over
as the various series continued but it's starting to show a less then direct path to the source inspirations from the real world that ground things just enough so what we are pretending is going to be real seems... real. Even the TOS Enterprise design herself has some B17 in her.
Ah, Jeez. Old chum, you're going fire me up on my usual sidebar about how many TOS people were veterans (Doohan!). I was reminded recently that Roddenberry was a Pan Am flight crewmember, was one of the crew on a crash in ... 1947? or something. Yeah, even "The Cage" pilot (or especially) had LOTS of naval and military grounding in it.

Wish I could remember which epi has Scotty tell Kirk "Special space detail set, Captain." Very quick, during the "tag" scene. Blink and you'll miss it. But s*** yeah, the NCC-1701 has crewmen manning stations and stuff when they break orbit, because ... they're breaking orbit (leaving port) and preparing for warp speed (hitting the open seas). Of course. (snap) And Jeffries knew his aviation stuff, so you had all that. I think the original bridge, as abstract as it was, reflected a knowledge of multiengine cockpit design. Flight control quadrant here, nav radios there, comms nearby, systems and components controls up there... I could easily map that original bridge on a typical midsize jet cockpit (well, before all the glass screens). Or an F16.

I was prejudiced to dislike it when it was on (I thought, "Oh great, STar Trek meets Lost In Space"), but when I started watching Voyager on Netflix, I noticed that Mulgrew's captain dealt with real world style leadership and command responsibility issues. Someone in that writers' room had some background.

Well the USMC digital camo has tiny USMC insignias integrated into it as well.

But only sporadically, it doesn't make up the entirety of the MARPAT pattern, or even a majority of it. You actually have to look for the EGAs in order to see them, they don't stand out and if you didn't know they were there you could easily miss them.

I was prejudiced to dislike it when it was on (I thought, "Oh great, STar Trek meets Lost In Space"), but when I started watching Voyager on Netflix, I noticed that Mulgrew's captain dealt with real world style leadership and command responsibility issues. Someone in that writers' room had some background.

It's just too bad that Janeway's characterization was so all over the place that Kate Mulgrew believed Janeway had an undiagnosed bipolar-esque disorder...

Actually, it's just too bad about nearly all the show with the exception of Robert Picardi and (surprisingly) Jeri Ryan. Those two were the standouts, and any episodes that focused on one or both of then were just phenomenal. Especially Jeri Ryan, who was hired because they wanted to make the show sexier and she looked good in a cat suit. She saw the opportunity to get on television using her looks, then blew everyone away with her acting. I would dare say that she was the best actor on the show.

Ah, Jeez. Old chum, you're going fire me up on my usual sidebar about how many TOS people were veterans (Doohan!). I was reminded recently that Roddenberry was a Pan Am flight crewmember, was one of the crew on a crash in ... 1947? or something. Yeah, even "The Cage" pilot (or especially) had LOTS of naval and military grounding in it.

Wish I could remember which epi has Scotty tell Kirk "Special space detail set, Captain." Very quick, during the "tag" scene. Blink and you'll miss it. But s*** yeah, the NCC-1701 has crewmen manning stations and stuff when they break orbit, because ... they're breaking orbit (leaving port) and preparing for warp speed (hitting the open seas). Of course. (snap) And Jeffries knew his aviation stuff, so you had all that. I think the original bridge, as abstract as it was, reflected a knowledge of multiengine cockpit design. Flight control quadrant here, nav radios there, comms nearby, systems and components controls up there... I could easily map that original bridge on a typical midsize jet cockpit (well, before all the glass screens). Or an F16.

I was over at Trek Core not too long ago, my habit is to watch an episode on METV and then check the screen grabs for interesting things.
Noticed that Scotty at least in one ep kept his trigger finger OFF the trigger as firearm safety dictates. Everyone else on most shows have their
fingers on the bang switch and often muzzle sweeping everything in sight. So that was probably his military background.

I was over at Trek Core not too long ago, my habit is to watch an episode on METV and then check the screen grabs for interesting things.
Noticed that Scotty at least in one ep kept his trigger finger OFF the trigger as firearm safety dictates. Everyone else on most shows have their
fingers on the bang switch and often muzzle sweeping everything in sight. So that was probably his military background.

They've gotten much better about that in recent years, but it's kind of swung to the other end of the spectrum. Now I'm seeing circumstances where someone would almost certainly have their finger on the trigger but don't.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back