Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

Birdies post had one snarky line. To be honest I didnt even see it the first go around.

Youre kidding me right? A few of us posted that the writing was bad, hack writing, bad writing whatever, and then you jumped down everyones throat about it. Making condescending comments, "spoon fed" stuff like that.

Sure fine with me.

It's typical, but always entertaining, isn't it?

It is irrelevant, but box office is the only thing the old school entertainment media can hype, and the only numbers they really have access to, so that's why they still focus on it. It would have been difficult for Covenant to beat Prometheus box office numbers because Prometheus had the advantage of higher ticket price sales from 3D, which added a lot back in 2012.

But box office does not matter much these days, especially for franchise films. Movies typically only have a 50-60 day theatrical shelf life, which means little and is unreliable for determining success. It's the long term shelf life that that matters to the studios, and the Alien series has a long shelf life. VOD, physical media, and broadcast sales are almost never released to the media, but those are huge numbers, especially across the first few years. Covenant will do great.

Look, man.. I don't expect you to change your mind. I won't change my own, either. I was not the one getting defensive or resulting to calling someone a troll.. that was YOU.

How about we just agree to stop commenting back and forth to each other about this particular thing and move on?

Having flashbacks to the Predator thread. It amazes me how offensive and aggressive you get over movie threads. You come across very poorly, please, chill out. There are better hills to die on.

So I think I realized my biggest gripe. I think the third act on Covenant was completely superfluous, and that all the "claustrophobic" ALIEN style action should have occurred in David's temple, culminating in Daniels escaping and Tennessee swinging in with the lander where they destroy/incapacitate the Xeno. This would also give ample opportunity to have the tension of Daniels being pursued by both David and the creature, as well as showing glimpses of the deeper horrors within the temple (face hugged engineers, terrifying hybrids and test subjects). Leave out all of the xeno chase on the ship and just have them go back to hypersleep with "Walter's" reveal at the end.

It is irrelevant, but box office is the only thing the old school entertainment media can hype, and the only numbers they really have access to, so that's why they still focus on it. It would have been difficult for Covenant to beat Prometheus box office numbers because Prometheus had the advantage of higher ticket price sales from 3D, which added a lot back in 2012.

But box office does not matter much these days, especially for franchise films. Movies typically only have a 50-60 day theatrical shelf life, which means little and is unreliable for determining success. It's the long term shelf life that that matters to the studios, and the Alien series has a long shelf life. VOD, physical media, and broadcast sales are almost never released to the media, but those are huge numbers, especially across the first few years. Covenant will do great.

So, does that mean we can "look forward" to a Ghostbusters 2?

We already had a Ghostbusters 2, back in 1989 :)

They probably would have done a 3 had Bill Murray not refused to another one (thankfully)

It may have been posted here already, but here is a Ridley Scott interview from Empire Magazine's podcast.
https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/alien-covenant-spoiler-special-with-sir-ridley-scott

Some interesting stuff, but not much said about where the story is going in the next one.

I always find it funny when I read people saying the CGI Alien in Alien 3 looked bad, considering there was no CGI Alien at all in Alien 3, just a guy in a rubber suit and a rod puppet. Ridley mistakenly thinks Fincher's alien was entirely CGI too.

i think people confuse the stop motion rod puppet for CGI, because it looks bad, i think CGI has become a buzzword for bad effects :)

oh and back to David Creating the facehuggers, you should check out the artists on instagram, they're now allowed to post their work on davids drawings with their own back story for what they were going for. Talking about david using parts of plants like the stinking lily as inspiration. very ovipository.

I have. There is some great art and designs Carlos Huante, Wayne Haag, Matt Hatton have posted. I also recommend the Art and making of Alien Covenant book. Lots of different concept art in that too, as well as photos of all the practical effects, including the translucent rod puppets used for the baby neo and xenomorph scenes in the film and the adult alien costumes and head used for the close ups. They did some fantastic work with those.

I always find it funny when I read people saying the CGI Alien in Alien 3 looked bad, considering there was no CGI Alien at all in Alien 3, just a guy in a rubber suit and a rod puppet. Ridley mistakenly thinks Fincher's alien was entirely CGI too.

I think sometimes people mistakenly use the term CGI to describe the composite work that was done in that film. A good example is the scene where the beast is on the ceiling and one of the inmates waves or tosses his torch at it. You can clearly see the limitations of the compositing in that shot. I think some describe that as CGI.

Just a thought.

***EDIT***

Lovelyandy basically said as much. That's me late.

I have been in conversations online and with friends who were convinced the Alien 3 alien was completely digital/computer generated. I'm sure the blue screen compositing is what makes it look odd to most people, but hearing Ridley make this same mistake was funny. The puppet work was actually done really well, but the matte lines and lighting mismatches did not quite gel in some scenes.

I love that Ridley is still using a mix of practical with the digital effects in his Alien films. There were on-set rod puppet aliens in both Prometheus and Covenant. Rod puppets seem to be a tradition in these movies, going back to Aliens.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back