Custom "Junk" Saber - Finished!

Re: Custom Saber Gutter Find!

Hey @tmax ! I like Strikerkc's suggestion; as I read the perforated tube as a great place for a partial Crystal Chamber Reveal rather than as a grip. After all, you don't necessarily want your hand wrapped around all that exposed engergy and heat.

What I'd do is take the bike footpeg and use 4 sections of the knurled area (you have 4 fingers to wrap around it ;) ), along with the large unknurled area to represent your pommel, and use that as your grip. Then I'd really dirty up the patina to match the exhaust baffle. Use the bolt for a button or adjuster of some sort and maybe a real button/switch if you decide to add electronics to the hilt to make the Crystal Chamber glow. Find a bit of rod to bend into a D-Ring and fasten it through the pommel area so that you can hang it on your belt.

Ta-da! Lightsaber!

Funny, when I first found it and saw the grill section I immediately thought - Crystal Chamber! Ha ha, so I have to do it now.

And I'm hearing you on the handle. This is kinda what it would look like...

scr9zwJ.jpg

4JAsz8p.jpg

Left as is I still think it looks too small in hand...

DwBlG3e.jpg

My biggest problem is I don't have any of my saber hilts here to compare with, so I don't know how top-heavy this would be with the grip right at the bottom.

Could someone please post a pic of say an Obiwan saber, with a tape measure or ruler beside it so I can see how long each segment is? Just for reference. Would be a great help.

Last edited:

Here you go. Click on the picture to get the bigger version.

ObiRuler.jpg

Some more gutter found items this morning! Wanted some exposed wires somewhere on the saber (a nod to Vaders saber) and came across this...

c0UtFfR.jpg

PESHMBP.jpg

Then while thinking through the crystal chamber, I spotted this beauty and thought it would be cool to mount the crystal in. Check out the patina!

sm07bHP.jpg

For the crystal itself I want something that will reflect light well... green glass is the go! Heaps of it in the ditch posing as energy drink bottles.

7d4i666.jpg

And yes, still all on the same country road I walk on...

saeAyEz.jpg

Getting myself the nice little pile of gutter-found parts (AKA crap!)...

WqbHJBb.jpg

Then my brother pointed out his junk pile behind the house...

1a68nnQ.jpg

:eek

Then while thinking through the crystal chamber, I spotted this beauty and thought it would be cool to mount the crystal in. Check out the patina!

Then my brother pointed out his junk pile behind the house...
And the knurling too! Bye-bye poor razor scooter.... HELLO LIGHTSABER!!!

Is that a speaker hanging off of that PCB?

You could build a wheelbarrow with that bike tire and the cooler! It looks like you're going to need one. ;)

Slow progress on this project as I'm pretty busy catching up with friends, etc, while we are back in NZ for a few weeks. Anyway, here are the current options for the placement of the grip...

j4jqWnS.jpg

I'm leaning toward the top one as it keeps the grip at the bottom (like most sabers) and maximises the grill section for a crystal chamber. The total length would be around 29cm or so, which is spot on.

Thoughts?

Cool thingamabob you got there! Reminds me of the lightsabers that Luke finds on Ossus in Dark Empire II.

Personally I wouldn't add the bike peg to it. It looks too new, doesn't match. Like the two parts are from two different planets. I agree it needs something to make it the proper length, but I'd look for something that is also old and worn already.

Cool thingamabob you got there! Reminds me of the lightsabers that Luke finds on Ossus in Dark Empire II.

Personally I wouldn't add the bike peg to it. It looks too new, doesn't match. Like the two parts are from two different planets. I agree it needs something to make it the proper length, but I'd look for something that is also old and worn already.

Yeah I hear you, but keep in mind it is unweathered. With some serious weathering it would match a lot better. The size and shape are ideal for a grip of course and it’s hollow, which is a big plus. So yeah, you gotta look past the shiny finish for now. It’s more about the overall shape and proportions of the hilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I hear you, but keep in mind it is unweathered. With some serious weathering it would match a lot better. The size and shape are ideal for a grip of course and it’s hollow, which is a big plus. So yeah, you gotta look past the shiny finish for now. It’s more about the overall shape and proportions of the hilt.

Ok, I could see that. The size and shape is right on. Looks like a fun build!

Sorry— aluminum blackened. Or you could do it true Star Wars style and spray it with flat black spray paint, then smear with an acetone soaked rag as it dries. OR spray it then bash it around and scrape it with sandpaper.

Apologies for the delayed update.

Decided to give this to my brother for his birthday, so lots to do today. Start with the east bits...

hxW0tzk.jpg

zG1CFaz.jpg

Cut down the flashlight and glued the cool coloured wheel-nut in place.

YW5NiEI.jpg

Looking down the business end...

ZvqBJtx.jpg

Added wires as a nod to Vader and Kylo's sabers...

WeI5vu4.jpg

Wanted to make a crystal chamber part to the put in behind the grill. Being in New Zealand I thought it would be cool to use some native greenstone. As we happened to be going to Gisborne (for the film premier), where I had our movie necklaces made, I stopped by and picked up some greenstone off-cuts for free. Which is cool coz it's in keeping with the "trash" theme for this saber. Ha ha.

Using a piece of circuit board I'd found on the side of the road (see earlier posts) I made a sort of crystal chamber...

2ahwQGu.jpg

ma4Fqjh.jpg

U7YWYfN.jpg

PSKy9ws.jpg

Xw7LY5G.jpg

dWLPLpf.jpg

Mk26SWE.jpg

L25GLI8.jpg

9S2Vdfe.jpg

AI3DZqu.jpg

Works kinda well I think. :)

Wasn't happy with the bike peg for the grip and it occurred to me that to secure a grip section I'd really need something a touch smaller in diameter to slot into the grill section. With that in mind I went on the hunt in my brother's shed and found this little guy...

2ijtJvx.jpg

T6ky2UI.jpg

WCz8tkw.jpg

Just the right size! And best of all, I can use it to light up the crystal chamber!!!

Drilled and screwed with random screws, then took to them with the grinder...

9FO9dG9.jpg

uOXmiwr.jpg

The end cap off the original muffler fits perfect over the end cap of the flashlight. Just needed a hole to access the flashlight button.

JwdqQ9H.jpg

xaPIg6e.jpg

MQageDo.jpg

AcpMmJ5.jpg

So we're almost there. I've got an idea for the grip, rather than weathering it... but that can wait for the final reveal, coming up next...

Last edited:

Sorry for the delay, been in transit back to Canada. But before we left I finished the saber and gave it to my brother for his birthday, he was super stoked!

r20aAwd.jpg

77dsFJQ.jpg

xv7noNt.jpg

4GM3Ve4.jpg

YPyTa4i.jpg

LkzJRCC.jpg

1akHzlo.jpg

zqtnP4D.jpg

lPtd8TA.jpg

And with the flashlight on to reveal the crystal chamber...

dkkpZSK.jpg

Zf5iD9n.jpg

NxARjCn.jpg

Bit hard to photograph the crystal chamber with the light on. Looks better in person.

The leather was a piece of off-cut I had left over. So pretty happy overall considering every part of this was a "found" item. Most of which was either found in the gutter or trash pile! Lol. If I had more time I would have added a "control box" between the leather wrap and the grill section. But that will have to wait for my next trip back to NZ.

She's come a long way...

A9mFWxL.jpg

Hey guys, I started an insta account just for my prop collection - tmax_props

Also, for the last week or so I’ve been posting stories and behind-the-scenes of Broken, the movie I wrote/directed. Follow along on fb or on
Instagram - tarrymortlock

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back