MR Vader Shroud

newmagrathea

Sr Member
So I picked up a Master Replica Vader shroud which was just delivered. I noticed that the knurled screw slides into the shroud. Is that normal or is it stripped. My first thought was that it's stripped, but the screw isn't even close to the correct diameter and it's much too long. The only thing that I have to compare to is my lovely shroud I bought from Roy. Should I be demanding my money back? Is there a good work around?

Did you buy a shroud from an FX lightsaber? I couldn't imagine anyone taking apart an MR lightsaber for parts to sell...

I know I've picked up a few Vader FX parts that way.

Did you buy a shroud from an FX lightsaber? I couldn't imagine anyone taking apart an MR lightsaber for parts to sell...

I know I've picked up a few Vader FX parts that way.

Funny that you say that. In the early 2000s it was harder to find a complete Master Replicas Darth Vader lightsaber than one that had been parted out. It's the reason MR started gluing the Vader endcaps and shrouds to the tubes.

This was before Parks was making MPPs and no one was making MPP parts (and before Parks was supplying everyone). No one could afford a real MPP (they were much more rare than today and sold for $2000+) and we all had cheap Heilands we wanted to convert.

I fell into the trap myself. I'd see MR Vader parts on eBay for 'a good price' so I bought just a set of grips. Then later just the clamp. Then later on a shroud. Then a gutted tube came up.

A year of buying parts on-and-off and then I realized I could have saved $75-$100 if I had just bought a complete saber.

James Kenobi 1138, Yea, I remember when everyone thought Vader's sabers was either a Heiland or a King Sol(My ANH is a converted Heiland). I can't remember for sure when the word came out about it actually being an MPP though.

I was around when MR first came out but WOW, for the life of me, I can't believe people parted out their Vader MR sabers. Maybe because I couldn't afford them then lol. Still, my only MR saber is a Vader ESB.

Sorry for thread drift.
newmagrathea, Since it was an FX saber, it was probably only glued on. Especially if there isn't any evidence of threads. I picked up a clamp, bulb release and the wires from an MR Vader FX to upgrade my ANH Heiland(didn't use the wires as I just bought an MR ESB saber), bulb release came with simple screws but there was so small amount of glue residue on the ends of the pretty small screws. I don't know how much was original or if the seller cleaned it up at all before the auction, but I think I ended up using the original heiland bulb screws anyway(minus the bigger middle one). But just from that, it/they was/were probably dabbed with a little glue and then fixed in place in the tube. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see evidence of glue on the screw and the shroud. It does look like there is evidence of threads, but it would just be left over glue residue in the hole. I guess I'll try to figure out a way to get tension with the screw. It also loosely fits my Heiland, but I can shim it with tape. I'm super annoyed with this. Lets see what I can do with it.

When I broke down my 05 MR FX i remember the knurled screw being tight but then I broke it loose. No threads really, just spun, so I think some were just glued in place.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back