Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

I'm the images, to me it looked looked like the ROTJ saber. depends on the day, sometimes I swear I see the grenade section, other days all I see is his sleeve, lol.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

ok this is great news. I'm actually wicked excited after reading this so I may jump the gun on a few things

where can I go read about them changing the scene to the clan leader?! I remember the debate with the saber I kylo's hand. to me it looked like it was the RoTJ saber though?!

did the clan have the RoTJ saber or the Graflex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind this is all based on rumors. MakingStarWars.net and StarWarsUnderworld.com both ran stories about this back last year and in the largest spoiler story synopsis this was included. The saber was supposedly the Graflex.

Last edited:

Keep in mind this is all based on rumors. MakingStarWars.net and StarWarsUnderworld.com both ran stories about this back last year and in the largest spoiler story synopsis this was included. The saber was supposedly the Graflex.

doesnt it almost prove the scene existed though now with this prototype dead padawan saber?!

you think maybe because she's already CG they dont need her physically on set anymore? they could throw anything in as a reference and just replace that person with CG, i wonder if she was only over there for voice recording? ...idk though i would figure that would all be done here... idk

you think maybe because she's already CG they dont need her physically on set anymore? they could throw anything in as a reference and just replace that person with CG, i wonder if she was only over there for voice recording? ...idk though i would figure that would all be done here... idk

There's more to Lupita's role than just her voice. Maz was created using motion capture, her movements and facial expressions are derived from Lupita's own physical movements. It allows an actor to be more than just a voice over, they actually "perform" the character.

There's more to Lupita's role than just her voice. Maz was created using motion capture, her movements and facial expressions are derived from Lupita's own physical movements. It allows an actor to be more than just a voice over, they actually "perform" the character.

Yep, things have moved on a lot since Jar Jar (thank goodness)

J

The motion is more realistic, but CGI still looks like cartoons to me.

I don't think CGI will ever truly capture the way natural light works and the way shadows are cast. They can get it fairly close, but at the end of the day CGI still looks a bit too digital.

BUT.....it's the best we can get at the minute.....it's because it can't be done any better way,....next best would be animatronics, but you would not get the complexity of facial expression

The Mas character will always look fake to some degree because nothing like her exists in the real world,.....when you see something of the real world done well in CG, like Michael Douglas in Ant Man & Robert Downey in Civil War 'de-aged' you can appreciate character CG a bit more

J

BUT.....it's the best we can get at the minute.....it's because it can't be done any better way,....next best would be animatronics, but you would not get the complexity of facial expression

The Mas character will always look fake to some degree because nothing like her exists in the real world,.....when you see something of the real world done well in CG, like Michael Douglas in Ant Man & Robert Downey in Civil War 'de-aged' you can appreciate character CG a bit more

J

Yeah Downey in cival war was jaw dropping to watch. I wonder how much of the budget went just on that. I'm waiting for the day they make a movie with an old favorite star and they motion capture them for the entirety and make them look as if they were in their prime. Imagine Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd motion captured for a bttf 4 \m/ aging them to an 89 90 look... its come along way, look at arnie cg in salvation and then in the last instalment. Imagine they motion captured instead of plane cgi. Wouldn't of helped the films but it would of been great to see.

It will happen one day. Just have to wait for the budgets to allow it and for a director with the b@lls to tackle the whole project..

Some CG is undoubtedly impressive (like the RDJ example which even knowing it is fakery, I still can't find fault with it) however, I thought Maz was a disappointment and really kinda stood out like a sore thumb. I tend to think a part of it was because most if not all of the creatures in the bar were done practically and she didn't blend in with them at all. I think I remember reading that the original plan was to make Maz an animatronic puppet but JJ took so long trying to pin down her look, they didn't have time to get a worthwhile puppet done in time for shooting and so just did the mocap CG thing instead. A shame. Snoke was underwhelming, especially given the secrecy around him, and I'm still not sure why he couldn't have been just as well served being played by a guy in makeup and prosthetics, maybe with some CG augmentation if need be (like Unkar Plutt). Nothing about him warranted being a mocap CG character except his mildly exaggerated gaunt form.

This video has been brought up before for this topic:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24[/video]

J

J

I hear what your saying buy think it would have been a better homage to the original movies if she had been an puppet/animatronic. Yoda is still one of the best non human characters of all time and I think we can all agree he was ruined when they went CG with him. There's just no beating something that is really there for me. Bring on the puppets!!!

I hear what your saying buy think it would have been a better homage to the original movies if she had been an puppet/animatronic. Yoda is still one of the best non human characters of all time and I think we can all agree he was ruined when they went CG with him. There's just no beating something that is really there for me. Bring on the puppets!!!

Does that included that THING they used in The Phantom Menace? :lol

Yes I agree about Yoda, & although I love the character & prefer the puppet in ESB & ROtJ, but it is a obviously a puppet, you watch him and are in awe of the skills & talent of puppet makers & operators, incredible work

But that ship has sailed, I don't think we will ever see a puppet like that in any future Star Wars films without CG help, each Star Wars film shows the growth and development of technology, pushing the boundaries of the what can be done

When the original King Kong film was released in 1933, the stop motion puppet was ground breaking, and the film still rates at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, but that style of stop motion will never be used again in that genre of film

Even Ardman Animations use CG to fix & tweak their stop motion films

J

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back