Obi ANH Sabers: What do you have?

don't worry just cleaned enough to use it without painting my hands in black....
I don't know if I will make a blade holder,if possible,probably not for a 1" blade,may be a 7/8" blade.
It's only 26mm inside and a 1" blade leaves only 0,25mm wall for the blade holder,wow short....

I took a look at my male,interesting,it has some shiny areas,and other are not and there is a engraving on the back.
I think it has been modified in the past.
I was really surprised to see Sporak(RPF member) obiwan lightsaber emitter,with really thick front ring,and shape between male and female...
I think my male has been grinded from this kind of balance pipe:
-the back has been cut,to reduce the thickness
-the front has been cut,to remove the "half female" shape,makes same thickness on fin as the female now.

My "correct" balance pipe has an engraved serial/part number on it. Is that what you mean by engraving?

Do you have a picture of the "male" balance pipe? All of them should have been identical, so yours shouldn't be of the same kind that Sporak had... If I recall correctly, the overall size and number of vent holes is different on those.

yes,there are engravings.
Mine has a very small engraving,other male has a large engraving,both are quite unreadable,my female has engraving too.

I'm not sure about sporak one,but yes,it may be possible less holes on his,the pic is really small but it made medoubt about the number of holes.
However,the sape of the external ring would probably same as sporak one before the changes.

I don't know where he obtained his ....

Patinas are different too,the other male is shiny on outer ring and front,and now,on his brand new "female" part.
Other make is shiny where it has been modified,but overall it's glazed.
female is fully glazed.

Will take shots tomorrow.

I was reading BL14898 very small.except the two letter I thought it was numbers: "13" for the "B" and "4" for the "L"

After looking at other male,different marking,much larger.
Scott tried to make a bevel,so bottom of numbers is missing:
-BL 14897
-then looks like a "19?5" the third number could be a "1" or a "4" quite vertical line on top,could be a date?! don't know,these engines are from the 50's or 60's not?
-Other is "WX 389"
-then "unreadable"
-then,looks like "N°17"

This balance pipe has a shiny luster on outer rim and front,unlike two other.

I cant' read on the female..

1209293_529994303746513_1679848370_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ok... I'm a little confused.... you have two sets of the pipes that we bought and they're different from one another?

I was reading BL14898 very small.except the two letter I thought it was numbers: "13" for the "B" and "4" for the "L"

After looking at other male,different marking,much larger.
Scott tried to make a bevel,so bottom of numbers is missing:
-BL 14897
-then looks like a "19?5" the third number could be a "1" or a "4" quite vertical line on top,could be a date?! don't know,these engines are from the 50's or 60's not?
-Other is "WX 389"
-then "unreadable"
-then,looks like "N°17"

This balance pipe has a shiny luster on outer rim and front,unlike two other.

I cant' read on the female..

I read from the Box :)

I read from the Box :)

Oh I understand now!
Maybe you can help for other engravings?their meaning etc?
Will check my datas,I have kept your photos about balance pipes if I remember correctly...

Ok... I'm a little confused.... you have two sets of the pipes that we bought and they're different from one another?

Yes,one of the males has more luster;after looking at original photo of all together I think lots of males are probably shiny.
However,all 3 are different,seems female is the "oldest" has more patina,is more damaged.
I will check romans modified ones.

For

Just for curiousity's sake, after the most recent aquisition of balance pipes, I just have to ask: How many all authentic Obi ANH sabers have been assembled? How many now exist?

Yes,one of the males has more luster;after looking at original photo of all together I think lots of males are probably shiny.
However,all 3 are different,seems female is the "oldest" has more patina,is more damaged.
I will check romans modified ones.

I don't think you're taking into consideration *how* the parts were used in the engine. We know that the male and female parts fit together, but how they operated in the engine could mean that one half - the female half - was more exposed to the heat and flames than the other, hence the differences in carbon scoring, etc.

Just for curiousity's sake, after the most recent aquisition of balance pipes, I just have to ask: How many all authentic Obi ANH sabers have been assembled? How many now exist?

Off the top of my head I think I know of four 100% completely assembled authentic parts sabers... the rest I believe (including mine) are all works in progress....

I know of around 14 sabers that have full real parts (including those with male balance pipes, modified or not) and another six that are missing just one part.

Oh I understand now!
Will check my datas,I have kept your photos about balance pipes if I remember correctly...

There is another number on the boxes but no idea what it relates to and ceratainly don't think its anything like you have quoted: Female 36JJ3918 Male 36JJ3916, the females must be special (aren't they always ;) ) they come individually boxed, males are boxed together.

Yep I'm missing just the booster now... JUST That... as a few of us are. So I think it'll be rough getting one.

Oh I understand now!
Unless the boxes specifically refer to the parts' nomenclature, i.e. "balance pipe", any printed information on them is likely irrelevant because the boxes were probably nothing more than a way to package the parts safely for shipping.

As for any markings engraved or stamped onto the actual parts, if they're identical from part to part they're general part identification numbers that relate back to the planning for the part and for the engine(s) it's used on. If the markings differ but are similar in format (i.e., "BL14898, BL14872, BL14927") they're usually serial numbers specific to that part only, but could also be batch or lot numbers.

I guess I can post my Obi build progress report as well....

As with every good story, it has its beginning, its middle, and its end... I just hope the rest of the story unfolds just as well :D

DSC00725_zpsdae93ec1.jpg

DSC00726_zps2d6fa64d.jpg

DSC00727_zpsb5740a8c.jpg

Great! I love the history pieces besides your parts! Again, great find!

I'm hardly looking for a ANM2 machine gun booster as it is the last part I need to complete a saber built with all authentic parts. Please pm me if somebody have one or knows where I can get one. Thanks a lot for any help.

besides that, I still need a authentic windvane for my grenade (my gren was missing that part), and a handwheel cap "hot" or "cold" (mine was missing on the correct handwheel I got).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back