Sebastian Shaw Vader head ( digital for 3D printing )

Looks great! Amazing work.

What printer are you printing it with? You're getting really good skin details out of it.

Looks great! Amazing work.

What printer are you printing it with? You're getting really good skin details out of it.

A Makergear M2. Solid machine but unfortunately not *quite* a big enough build volume for a 1:1 human head, so I'll have to split it up.

As stated above due to a colossal life event I have to put this project on hold. But I've just uploaded the file, would love to see what people do with it:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-70270

Futile I know, but please please please do not attempt to profit from it. When that happens I fear my generosity might go out the window. I was inspired by Adam Savage's Maker Faire talk to share more so I plan on doing this again in future. Please consider following my facebook page, ty! https://www.facebook.com/darrenpattendenArt

Man, if I had a 3D printer, I'd start this immediately. I don't even have a Vader reveal helmet yet, though do plan a BS one. I'd pay for printing and shipping costs, since you want this to be free, though I'd be happy to pay a retail price.

It is really interesting to study the model up close. So much detail. I had to re-scale it up a bit as it didn't seem true 1:1 scale. Scaled it to the Prowse head I've been working on and the Vader face mask. I can post the measurements I scaled up to here, if you are okay with that.

Did a little something for fun.
Vader - Sebastian Shaw.png

Last edited:
Futile I know, but please please please do not attempt to profit from it. When that happens I fear my generosity might go out the window.

I fear it will happen, sooner or later - as there are still many people out there who are not able to print such stuff. They (like me, too) only have two ways to handle it, refrain from having a piece, or pay someone for having it made. So you pay for offered prints and have one, or you don´t and end up with nothing.

And as having no clue about printing, i couldn´t even say where the line would be between a acceptable price for the printing service (and the solely profit on this offered service) without charging anything for the not self designed files, or where they try to get profit from both, printing and your done work.

:confused

Oh man this makes me happy TMG. And yeah, only got around to printing a front 'slice' of the face and it was gnawing way at me that it was a tad small feeling.

It is really interesting to study the model up close. So much detail. I had to re-scale it up a bit as it didn't seem true 1:1 scale. Scaled it to the Prowse head I've been working on and the Vader face mask. I can post the measurements I scaled up to here, if you are okay with that.

Did a little something for fun.
View attachment 830664

I was using MeshMixer to scale it up and these are the measurements I recorded. The X-Y-Z axis may be different if you open it up in other programs, as they don't always angle the model the same, but at least this could give you an idea of how much to scale it up for full size - at least how I scaled it up.

The original model was the following measurements.
X - 181.19
Y - 218.60
Z - 277.99

Whereas my upscaled model came out at these.
X - 205
Y - 247.32
Z - 314.51

Vader - Sebastian Shaw - 002.png

I'll go back and watch RotJ to make sure I got it exactly right and if I need to tweak it again to make it more accurate in size to the Vader helmet, I will post it here.

Again, really great work.

Ack, I hate it when real life gets in the way of stuff I'd much rather be doing. A little bit of an update in that I'm working on a paint test on the smaller test head.

The surface is pretty rough, but bear in mind that when this is 1:1 scale things should be a lot finer.

42877864342_726362393d_b.jpg

You know here are some words of advice. first the scars need a bit more detailing and they need a slight pinkish tone (mostly the top of the head scar). Second the whole head needs to be paler (but not too pale) Darth Vader was very pale. Third the dark around the eyes is to intense tone it down a bit (and add a very very slight pinkish hue). Well I hope that helps some!

Anything new with this project

Thanks for the advice frogfreak. I wasn't trying too hard really, just a quick test without putting too much thought into it. The final head I intend to be 1:1 and the paint test model was small.

As for updates, I've been busy with a lot of other things, but I will get back to this and I WILL print it 1:1. But for now, I'm a real stickler for likenesses and I recently decided it wasn't quite close enough to Shaw so I'm revamping it. I'll also upload that V2 sculpt too at some point.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back