Vader lines on command.

vader45

Sr Member
Now this was something I wanted to do for a long time but never got around to doing it because I am lost as to how to go about it. I want a set up where I can press buttons that would be inside one of my gloves and then play a line from the films on command. I have no Idea how to do it but I have seen it done before. I would prefer that over a voice changer.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

I recently made an appearance as Vader at my kid's Star Wars summer camp. I didn't have a whole lot of time to figure out how to pull off the voice, but this youtube video provided me with a nice quick solution. I am sure it can be perfected (i.e. the pause between breaths should probably be shortened), but it actually worked amazingly. I didn't use the bluetooth manual control but instead had my wife push the commands from my phone that were in turn sent to the speaker I put inside the helmet. Anyway, here is the link to the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl5eeaBKK_w

I recently made an appearance as Vader at my kid's Star Wars summer camp. I didn't have a whole lot of time to figure out how to pull off the voice, but this youtube video provided me with a nice quick solution. I am sure it can be perfected (i.e. the pause between breaths should probably be shortened), but it actually worked amazingly. I didn't use the bluetooth manual control but instead had my wife push the commands from my phone that were in turn sent to the speaker I put inside the helmet. Anyway, here is the link to the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl5eeaBKK_w

Well as someone who dresses and performs the character solo(even with my convention friends) this set up would be to complicated for me. But thanks for the help. Maybe I could find a smaller mp3 player I can hold or one that could fit in my gloves. Im not sure at the moment. All of the suggested pieces in the video are far to big and will get in the way if I try to hold them the whole time.

Well as someone who dresses and performs the character solo(even with my convention friends) this set up would be to complicated for me. But thanks for the help. Maybe I could find a smaller mp3 player I can hold or one that could fit in my gloves. Im not sure at the moment. All of the suggested pieces in the video are far to big and will get in the way if I try to hold them the whole time.

Yeah, not sure I would try this method without someone assisting. The fact he had to memorize where each line was on his list in order to use the manual control seemed crazy to me. Just thought I'd share in case someone could come up with a way to make this method more intuitive. Reducing the size of the speaker would be a must if I tried this again. Anyway, good luck. I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread in case you find a better solution.

Hide it in your Vader chest box. You could make one of the buttons on it useable. I dunno, just an idea.

Hey vader45 ! How about 4 buttons down one, or both thumbs in the fat of the muscle. If you placed them within reach of your fingertips, but outside the area where the buttons would be depressed when gripping your lightsaber, the only thing you'd have to concern yourself with would be awkward "blurtings" when shaking hands with someone. Not that Lord Vader often shakes hands with others, but, ya know. ;)

You could rig up a slight curved piece that you could sew into your glove with the buttons on it and simply press them right through the leather of the glove. Make a little quick connector at the cuff so that you could don your sleeves/shirt and then connect the buttons to the other end of the quick connector in your sleeve.

Have the wires ultimately run back to a speaker in your face plate, or within your chest box.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hide it in your Vader chest box. You could make one of the buttons on it useable. I dunno, just an idea.

Not possible, the chest box is a static piece painted with the buttons glued on. IT would require cutting repainting and actual push buttons that look like the original parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey @vader45 ! How about 4 buttons down one, or both thumbs in the fat of the muscle. If you placed them within reach of your fingertips, but outside the area where the buttons would be depressed when gripping your lightsaber, the only thing you'd have to concern yourself with would be awkward "blurtings" when shaking hands with someone. Not that Lord Vader often shakes hands with others, but, ya know. ;)

You could rig up a slight curved piece that you could sew into your glove with the buttons on it and simply press them right through the leather of the glove. Make a little quick connector at the cuff so that you could don your sleeves/shirt and then connect the buttons to the other end of the quick connector in your sleeve.

Have the wires ultimately run back to a speaker in your face plate, or within your chest box.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Reason why Im asking is becaue I dont know where to get anything at all, push buttons or even how to rig it. You basically described what I wanted but no way to come about buying the parts and putting it together.

DFPlayer Mini = (roughly) $2-3.00 USD

You can use this with an Arduino or other microcontroller.. but you dont NEED to.

(but if you want to control some leds.. or trigger audio playback via some interface/event/user interaction.. then you will need to use one (easy to use and only another $2-3.00USD for aPro-Mini)

After your $2-3.00 USD DFPlayer Mini purchase

you will need a battery pack (stable +5v..not more)
some wires
some switches/buttons
and a speaker.

Done deal.

No code involved either unless you go the Arduino route.

you could use a breadboard instead.

I believe the DFPlayer and Pro-Mini can be ordered with male headers pre-installed/soldered.

Not sure if you can find someone to solder some leads on the wires for the battery pack, switch and speaker.

Or some crimp-on type ends possibly so you can plug them into the breadboard.

Perhaps one of the Adafruit Audio FX Mini Sound Board range? Haven't used it myself, but it seems like it would do the job.

If hiding switches in the gloves isn't viable, I wonder if you could put the switches along his belt, and operate them in the classic Vader-hands-on-belt pose?

What would be the difference between your Adafruit suggestion and the DFPlayer suggestion? (besides paying $14.00 more? plus shipping costs?)

Perhaps one of the Adafruit Audio FX Mini Sound Board range? Haven't used it myself, but it seems like it would do the job.

If hiding switches in the gloves isn't viable, I wonder if you could put the switches along his belt, and operate them in the classic Vader-hands-on-belt pose?

That would be great if all of the wiring for the speakers and switches are done. Like an entire package but its just the board.

There might be a 'motherboard' for the larger Adafruit FX board.. that has screw terminals instead.. no soldering required.. (but you will need a small screw driver) ;)

Nice ROMFX product...

you can make a not as robust variant using the Adafruit Waveshield and the electric mic..

I have done it for this.. as well as the Batman vs Superman voice tests..

https://youtu.be/eRdSi4gJz98?t=1m17s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnbKxl68-aY

just some examples if you wanna go the cheaper route.

What would be the difference between your Adafruit suggestion and the DFPlayer suggestion? (besides paying $14.00 more? plus shipping costs?)

I'm not an expert on either, but I get the impression that the DFPlayer can only play one audio track after another in a set playlist, whereas Adafruit can play them in any order by assigning them to their own individual switches.

I'm not an expert on either, but I get the impression that the DFPlayer can only play one audio track after another in a set playlist, whereas Adafruit can play them in any order by assigning them to their own individual switches.

You can play any track/number of clip you want.
There is a specific way you do need to load the .wav files to the sd card (doesnt seem to care about the names... it only cares about the order they are loaded to the SD card)

So if you drag-n-drop a .wav file called ABC123.wav that is what .play(1) command will play (as that was the first clip loaded to the card.. and hence, is now #1 track)..

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't bought one myself, but see it pop up in listing every now and then. There's a guy on Etsy who sells the kind of thing you're talking about.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/214...7ee91eaf3b856d0ddbd4bd8cba039c07d0d:214956010

I'd be interested to see what is on the INSIDE?

he doesnt show the actual electronics at all... just the buttons/switches.

Maybe you can seat the Adafruit Sound FX board into a screw terminal 'shield' like this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/172378711204?chn=ps

The labels would no longer match... and you might need to trace the terminals to ensure the order...

but would probably work if the pin count is the same or less than a Nano
vader45 (or anyone else for that matter)..

If you need help soldering.. I can help.. or develop a kit.. whatever.

Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back