Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

If it was a norm, it wouldnt have to be forced. To me, it looks like you're jumping back and forth between extremes vs norms to clear a path for extremes.

We are in a society where people look for triggers. People trash college campuses because they dont like a speaker. People wear vagina hats claiming to protest a loss of rights where no rights have been lost.

I dont want to turn this political, but we see where most of that malicious activism occurs. Also, to which side do actors and the entertainment industry usually lean.

So, being upset people boycott your norms is their choice. Why get upset, when you claim they are wrong for getting upset. Finding a way to sneak it into entertainment just might backfire and cause a boycott.

Some people loved Borat because he was intentionally being nasty, claiming a different culture was his excuse, other realize it as being a complete jerk.

I dont care about lesbians kissing. But if that is someone's reason for wanting the game, that is superficial. Claiming the person who wants a good story or exciting game play is superficial, is Opposite Day.

https://youtu.be/fwI4N5-wQdo?t=12m

I was listening to this podcast last night and when Marc Bernardin got to telling his story about eating **** for a article he wrote about Rose, I thought it was the esquire piece everyone was attacking... turns out his was for hollywood reporter...

But it's a good watch/listen, cuz it has made me wanna spend a little more time just "loving that we love things" instead of spending so much time reading about how terrible all movies are.

I have a hard time hating movies... At least getting angered about it. Like they say in that vid... I'll watch a movie, love it and rave, or dislike and really never think about again - move onto the next one.

Just the fact there's a podcast discussing Marc "eating ****" over an article he wrote about a movie (TLJ) and a fan base that's angry about a movie that was made in a sequel trilogy for a movie that came out decades ago.... is CRAZY.

But I am interested in checking out Marc's hollywood reporter article cuz this guy is a really great writer and knows his movies.

And best of all he's a REAL nerd. He knows his stuff... and he creates and writes in the industry as well, so he actually DOES understand the process of how these films work.

Anyway, good watch.

Marc's article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ment-show-star-wars-has-a-fan-problem-1118898

The retort from Ben Shapiro (linked in an earlier post here): https://www.dailywire.com/news/31712/no-star-wars-isnt-failing-because-hateful-trolls-ben-shapiro

N
Going against norm does NOT mean "doing it for attention" or "hyping." It is trying to shift what is accepted as the norm for progression. Why is that a bad thing?

Our history is full of things like the women's suffrage movement, or the civil rights movement. Obviously a couple video game characters is nothing compared to these real movements, but "doing something for attention" is something you do when you're immature or insecure. Trying to to shift public perception of what is acceptable and equal is noble in my book.

For me personally i'm just scared of catching the "Gay" and that's why i don't like to see two girls kissing in a video game.

But really come on nobody in the western world except maybe religious folks have any problem with displays of homosexuality, but yeah seeing the clip form The Last of Us did kinda rub me the wrong way. Not because of the fact that is was two girls kissing, but because that cut scene lasted like 5 minutes man, at least make it interactive if you know what i mean:lol

Diversity in media is just fine off course, but bad creators tend to over emphasize these characters so much that it starts to feel political. Treat gay characters just like any other characters and nobody will complain, but put a spotlight on them and say "oh look how progressive we are for having two girls kissing" and that's when it stops feeling natural and i start having objections.

Being gay has been so acceptable here for such a long time, that it's no longer viewed as being progressive, just normal. Treat it as such.

The creators are the problem, not the people watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPH

But really come on nobody in the western world except maybe religious folks have any problem with displays of homosexuality.

Wow, is THIS a false statement!

You need to get out of liberal Europe before trying to make sweeping statements like this, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Wook

The CW has homosexual relationships, and they always seem portrayed as dysfunctional. Supergirls sis, the guy on Arrow.

But we are also talking about a small percentage of our population getting coverage as if they were far more.

If Superman and Aquaman made out in a preview, we all know their would be a YUGE outcry. We also know it wasnt being done just to convey norms. It would be done to elicit a response. And no matter how well people articulated against it, you know tbeir would be people trolling about, waiting to shout "Hater!!" At anyone who complained.

Agendas, movements, and trying to PUSH them down the throats of the vast majority of what is the NORM, is insulting. Star Wars is supposed to be a kid/family friendly entity. It's supposed to be escapism to a galaxy far far away.

There are plenty of avenues for SJWs, the gay community etc. Might as well lump in the furries,and people who sit in diapers and act like infants.... Crap open the door WIDE open if everything is acceptable!
I'm all for whatever floats your boat. Just don't shove it in my face or be driven to the typical, hysterical "it's toxic speach" rants when the vast majority don't like what you do or disagree with what "you" feel is acceptable.
If the current SW films keep on going along the lines of TLJ, it will be a dead franchise, especially with people like KK in charge.

If people like Ruin Binks keep writing and directing, the vast majority of fans are going to vote with their wallets and families in tow. The big ship isn't unsinkable.
We've unfortunately already seen what can happen.

Wow, is THIS a false statement!

You need to get out of liberal Europe before trying to make sweeping statements like this, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Wook

Is the US still that much behind on the acceptance of homosexuality then? I'm a conservative by Dutch standards and i guess it's so normal for most of us that we kinda take it for granted.

Unfortunately things are starting to change here with the influx of Muslim migrants and hate against gays is unfortunately on the rise.

If it was a norm, it wouldnt have to be forced. To me, it looks like you're jumping back and forth between extremes vs norms to clear a path for extremes.

We are in a society where people look for triggers. People trash college campuses because they dont like a speaker. People wear vagina hats claiming to protest a loss of rights where no rights have been lost.

I dont want to turn this political, but we see where most of that malicious activism occurs. Also, to which side do actors and the entertainment industry usually lean.

So, being upset people boycott your norms is their choice. Why get upset, when you claim they are wrong for getting upset. Finding a way to sneak it into entertainment just might backfire and cause a boycott.

Some people loved Borat because he was intentionally being nasty, claiming a different culture was his excuse, other realize it as being a complete jerk.

I dont care about lesbians kissing. But if that is someone's reason for wanting the game, that is superficial. Claiming the person who wants a good story or exciting game play is superficial, is Opposite Day.

You're intentionally trying to talk me in circles by pretending to not get it, or you really don't get it. Either way, I'm not jumping into the vortex. But rest assured, I understand your point, and the kind of person you are very clearly.

deadtauntaun2.gif

Is the US still that much behind on the acceptance of homosexuality then? I'm a conservative by Dutch standards and i guess it's so normal for most of us that we kinda take it for granted.

Even your phraseology is out of touch with mainstream America.

Tens of millions of Americans would reject how you phrased your question, and would instead phrase it this way: "Is the U.S. still very much rooted in its traditional values?". The answer is, yes. By phrasing it as if the US is "behind", insults many Americans--as they believe it is the permissive left who is corrupting their values and hurting our nation.

I dont know if we are behind, considering the size and population of our country, but man, both sides sure do like to cause a ruckus about it. Sheesh. Just live your damn lives. :rolleyes

And now you guys are turning this political.

If people dont embrace your ideology, they are "behind." Elitist much?

So, you want people to embrace your views while you criticize theirs. Respect is a two-way street.

Gay marriage was losing in state by state votes, thats why they turned to the courts. The same people who said they would accept the outcome of a an election, didnt. So, your sweeping assumption is incorrect. Go ahead, look it up.

Once again, illustrating my example.

And now you guys are turning this political.

That happens a lot on this board because the people who want to complain the loudest about Disney's Star Wars movies seem to center their argument over an imagined SJW agenda on the part of Kathleen Kennedy.

It's almost impossible to talk about Star Wars without it being political.

You're intentionally trying to talk me in circles by pretending to not get it, or you really don't get it. Either way, I'm not jumping into the vortex. But rest assured, I understand your point, and the kind of person you are very clearly.

Talking in circles? That's adorable. How?

A norm is accepted, it is the norm. Short for "normal." You dont have to force it on people who understand what "normal" is.

Those vagina hats were made well in advanced. So, they had them pre-made, at the ready. Hmmm, perhaps awaiting some reason, some trigger to break them out. That isnt obvious to you? How is that going in a circle?

I coul keep going, but your responses are the ebodiment of what I already claimed. You are proving you think less of people with differing opinions, with differing standards.

You cant have unity when your way is to undermine mine.

As someone who`s been on the receiving end of a shoddy, failed hit piece about derailing a thread I hadnt been in for months that Lionel Hutz would have been proud of, ,please allow me..... It seems that while many have expressed why this person has to go, its apparent that no one has explained why they need to stay.

kk.jpg

I don't think less of people with different opinions than me.

I think less of people who are cool with denying representation or rights to people who are different than them because they don't like it.

Pretty simple. You say I'm elitist, but the only people I look down on are those who don't want certain people to have what everyone else has.

Representation in Hollywood films, even Star Wars films, helps. Sometimes the norm needs to be challenged-- like when the norm is wrong. Like say-- saying certain people couldn't vote. That was the norm in our country for a long time. Now we're somehow still fighting about who can get married or not.

If the norm is saying gay people can't get married (for an example), I personally think that norm is wrong. Are there over the top, attention-grabbing ways to challenge that norm? Sure. But two girls kissing in a video game is hardly a civil rights march.

Sometimes protest needs to be big-- but that doesn't always mean it is. If you think that any representation of it at all is suddenly intrusive, I don't know what to tell you. There is pure optics, and there is politicized intent, and many stages in between.

My point is, even if it is pure optics, you';ll still scream about it being forced and intrusive. Representation is about resetting the norm so we can see two gay people kiss and not think it's a political statement-- because sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it;s two human beings in love.

Pop culture helps define the norm. You don't get more Star Wars than pop culture or video games. If the creators of these properties have decided to help alter the norm in subtle ways (and admittedly, the droid in Solo isn't subtle) that's a progressive view I don't have an issue with.

Now if say, Kirk Cameron were controlling Star Wars and making them all about space ***** dying for our sins, yeah I'd have a problem. So I get where conservatives are coming from. I wouldn't like that rhetoric in my Star Wars, so I get why your feathers are ruffled. That still doesn't make it a conspiracy or loaded agenda. It's window dressing. an agenda would have narrative intent.

At the end of the day, politics aside, I'm always going to be on the side that doesn't try for anything for less than equal rights for everyone.

Just wanted to get that said before the mods wipe this all out;.

Repeat.

Agenda = narrative intent. Meaning, stories are presented as parables for political issues.

Deciding to market Star Wars more to an already existing young female fanbase by showcase more female characters, casting female leads, and/or slipping in "droid rights" banter does not equal an agenda.

That is just challenging the norm.

The second Star Wars pulls a Star Trek and talks about the First Order blowing up planet gay cause everybody is kissing each other, maybe then I'll hear "agenda" or "forced" as valid terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back