Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Halliwax thanks a lot for the time you spent doing the tutorial.

Maybe it's possible to make it a PDF and upload it on wannawanga with the V2's goodies (if you and Roy agree of course)?

Have a nice day :)

Envoyé de mon Moto Z2 Play en utilisant Tapatalk

Has anyone figured out a good solution for the copper neck coloring? I’ve tried rustoleum aged copper but it’s way too metallic. I’m thinking about just getting various testors and mixing them.

Has anyone figured out a good solution for the copper neck coloring? I’ve tried rustoleum aged copper but it’s way too metallic. I’m thinking about just getting various testors and mixing them.
Yes, I do layers of various paints. But on top of the black, I do rustoleum mettalic, then before its fully dry I do a mist of a cheap matte black. This mixes with it and makes it that nice brown/faded copper look. Then some washes with Vallejo black/brown, a polish, a bake. Good to go. I'll look at what rustoleum color I use today and let you know
26c99e7237b137eff7fd28d34859cbdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So this is what I use for the actual color. It doesnt say what color, but the cap should be a good indication of what to look for. I paint my entire hilt black, windvane and all. Then I remove all stencils other than the lower neck and windvane ones. I remove the top emitter and mask the bottom of the hilt below the neck. Leaving only the lower neck and windvane exposed. Make sure your black is fully cured before spraying it with this. Do a few really thin coats of this over the black.
Then while it's still partially wet, do a light light coat of cheap matte black. And I mean cheap. The Walmart 98 cent can matte black. You might think that's odd, but the paint goes on super thin and very fine. It's actually a really good black enamel. Then once its dry, very very lightly use some 0000 steep wool to kind of expose the metallic color. It makes a nice faded brown/bronze color. Then just experiment with washes. I use Vallejo military black/brown. Then a black wash. Then bake it. Then clear coat. Makes a color super close to the prop in my opinion.
a8b3b1c863b3cc697566bfa46808d5bd.jpg

And I say make sure your black layer is fully cured before you spray this over because it does some weird stuff if its not. I used duracoat so I really didn't need to worry about that, but if you use an enamel black spray, the metallic sometimes does some weird stuff if the base layer isnt cured.

Halliwax - you are consistently a great guy and a gem of the RPF!

Thanks for the kind support! This lightsaber is my favorite and my passion.

This is a dream come true to me, and if I can help someone else who has the same dream.. it’s the best feeling of accomplishment

Thanks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halliwax thanks a lot for the time you spent doing the tutorial.

Maybe it's possible to make it a PDF and upload it on wannawanga with the V2's goodies (if you and Roy agree of course)?

Have a nice day :)

Envoyé de mon Moto Z2 Play en utilisant Tapatalk

Your very welcome! I hope the tutorial and videos have helped!! I wish I wasn’t so busy right now, I’m finally and I mean FINALLY finishing up this night job.

I am working back in the shed this weekend, I am going to update the thread with new pictures and “trent tips”

So be on the look out! ;)

Thanks for the positive support!

Stay tuned... halliwax has been working his butt off trying to get it perfect. I've been offering feedback here and there and I think he has nailed it. I'm sure he'll up a detailed write-up about it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Jordan. Incredibly helpful. I’ll try to recreate this. I’m amazed how far you go accuracy. I just would’ve grabbed some paint and slapped it on, lol.

Thanks Jordan. Incredibly helpful. I’ll try to recreate this. I’m amazed how far you go accuracy. I just would’ve grabbed some paint and slapped it on, lol.
Thanks man. I've been toying with getting the right windvane color for the past year and a half lol. I've learned alot from others, and that's what these forums are for, sharing info. Experimentation and failing helps you learn. Gotta give it up to Halliwax for actually taking time to do a video series and write up, I'm too lazy to do any of that. I hope one day to start doing some tutorials, especially for the RPF since I'm not too known here. But I gotta give credit where credit is due, this is an amazing thread, and thanks to Trent for 2 gens of damn fine stencils, this second gen set is way too good.

halliwax - How long do you heat the emitter for with the torch before hitting it?

Last edited by a moderator:

EC6A7E57-C3BC-4C33-BA03-0E8602F5D6C3.jpeg

I had the privileged to finish one of these for a member here and just wanted to thank you for your fantastic thread Danny! It was a huge help.
I really appreciate the time and effort you put in to help out other builders.

View attachment 825888

I had the privileged to finish one of these for a member here and just wanted to thank you for your fantastic thread Danny! It was a huge help.
I really appreciate the time and effort you put in to help out other builders.

This came out great!! Is that fillers earth in between the rings? I can’t get mine to photograph well... without the flashjt barely shows, with the flash it looks like too much

When holding it in your hands and looking at it with your own eyes it seems perfect to me.. but I can’t capture it in a photo to save my life...

I seriously appreciate the kind support! I’m glad this thread is doing exactly what I wanted it to, help people!

It came out beautiful buddy good job!!

I finished the windvane tutorial video, it’s quite long and every time to go upload it there a timed out problem... if I get home tonight early enough I’ll try again

Had a family emergency yesterday, so I’m just completely overwhelmed right now...

I’m going to start working on returning PMs there’s just far to many for me to do it right now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back