Rogue Troopers

I find this attitude annoying.
I'm with HDPE. They should have done a better job on the sculpts. I'm not so much a purist that I think they should have kept every lump and warp from the original ANH suits, but I wish the shapes and details were handled with care. They were not.
There is a difference between a fan whose eye has been trained to see what separates the beauty of the original sculpts from the clunky, repulsive fan made suits that have been around since the 90's, and a fan who has not trained their eyes to tell the difference.
There is an air of the FX suit about the new R1 sculpt and although many fans are used to seeing those horrible fan suits and like them, there are those of us who cringe every time we see one in an official publication.
Just because you can't see why us old sticklers don't care for the new version does not mean we don't have a very valid grievance and well aimed criticism.

Ditto.

As for everyone saying that the R1 suits look like the old FX armor, you all need to revisit your reference pictures and check ya'll eyes before making that claim.

"This bickering is pointless!" -Tarkin

Well, ok, not exactly pointless. But if the quote fits.... My feeling is that we won't really know how close of a match these are to the ANH designs until we all see the final film on a screen. Secret production photos can look quite a bit different than the "finished product." And new filming tech/techniques have changed enough in 40 years that I'm not sure the original ANH suits wouldn't look "weird" if they were used for R1 (if they all were still available, which they aren't, and were in the same condition as 40 years ago, which they aren't.) At the very least, I think the "flaws" and somewhat limited detail work would be much more apparent.

As for everyone saying that the R1 suits look like the old FX armor, you all need to revisit your reference pictures and check ya'll eyes before making that claim.

I'm genuinely surprised to read the above comment coming from you. Based on your research on Classic trilogy snow troopers and the awesome job

you did with matching the Wampa attack Snowtrooper helmet I was expecting you to be in the other camp. :):thumbsup

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised to read the above coming from you. Based on your research on Classic trilogy snow troopers and the awesome job you did with

matching the Wampa attack Snowtrooper helmet I was expecting you to be in the other camp. :):thumbsup

I appreciate the compliments, but based on my personal experience throughout my time in the 501st with FX suit and it's overbearing inaccuracies, to throw that into the same category as these R1 suits is beyond me. If you're basing that idea soley on the close up images of them standing in the water, you're probably getting caught up with the camera angles and distortion of the picture itself.

Rogue one TK FX compare.png

I'd rather have the R1 armor over FX any day of the week. I think it's an insult to the prop builders to even lay such an idea

I personally love both the R1 and the original style armor. I don't know why we can't enjoy both for their own unique qualities instead of calling one as being better than the other. One is the original, nothing will ever take that away. The new one is representative of how it should have been if they had the same level of financial and technological resources we do now, never mind, over 30 years of fandom to even support the idea of these films ever being produced

Last edited:
I don't know why we can't enjoy both for their own unique qualities instead of calling one as being better than the other. One is the original, nothing will ever take that away. The new one is representative of how it should have been if they had the same level of financial and technological resources we do now, never mind, over 30 years of fandom to even support the idea of these films ever being produced

Well said!

I wasn't a big fan of the new style TFA stormtroopers. The helmet looked very grotesque when I first saw it and to me, it really didn't fit in with the SW universe. However, after a while, it grew on me, and I started to like it. So much so, that I purchased an Anovos helmet for my display cabinet.

There will be a lot of changes to the SW universe that some of us will not like, but at least there is a continuing story that will entertain us for a few years to come (hopefully more). I'm sure all of us are happy for that at least. I can just imagine all of the disagreements that the new movies will bring. :lol

TazMan2000

Actually, the GT/FX forearms look more shape accurate to ANH than Rogue One! '

The R1 forearms are too fat, too short and do not have the complex organic curves of the ANH ones.

The droopy, narrow chests are nearly identical (FX/R1)... The stubby, wide thighs are as well... The shoulder bells have the same, stiff, straightened appearance...

There is no reference, but the back plates on the R1/FX are nearly identical as well.

These blurry comparison shots just reinforce what we are saying. How can you not see this?!

I will, however, concede the R1 helmets are a sight better than GT/FX, that's about it.

I appreciate the compliments, but based on my personal experience throughout my time in the 501st with FX suit and it's overbearing inaccuracies, to throw that into the same category as these R1 suits is beyond me. If you're basing that idea soley on the close up images of them standing in the water, you're probably getting caught up with the camera angles and distortion of the picture itself.

View attachment 642909

I'd rather have the R1 armor over FX any day of the week. I think it's an insult to the prop builders to even lay such an idea

I personally love both the R1 and the original style armor. I don't know why we can't enjoy both for their own unique qualities instead of calling one as being better than the other. One is the original, nothing will ever take that away. The new one is representative of how it should have been if they had the same level of financial and technological resources we do now, never mind, over 30 years of fandom to even support the idea of these films ever being produced

Actually, the GT/FX forearms look more shape accurate to ANH than Rogue One! '

The R1 forearms are too fat, too short and do not have the complex organic curves of the ANH ones.

The droopy, narrow chests are nearly identical (FX/R1)... The stubby, wide thighs are as well... The shoulder bells have the same, stiff, straightened appearance...

There is no reference, but the back plates on the R1/FX are nearly identical as well.

These blurry comparison shots just reinforce what we are saying. How can you not see this?!

I will, however, concede the R1 helmets are a sight better than GT/FX, that's about it.

No they're not, they're completely different.

I used those "blurry comparison" pictures because they're in the trailer, and not "up close" and show them how they at least appear in the trailer, without camera distortion.

The R1 shoulder bells are smaller, the chest looks more angular on the sides(R1), the forearms are notably straighter (R1) the domey part on the cod piece looks to be a little smaller on the FX suit (which is funny since everything else looks exaggerated) and the strip running down the front of the upper leg on the R1 suit seems much more pronounced.

And have you all noticed how the upper torso and belly armor connects on the sides on the R1 armor? The black strips? this is just my opinion but that little extra touch looks pretty slick to me.

I think some take the details of the props too literally. The props are meant to represent an object not be the literal appearance of the object in every respect.

Sometimes they have more than one version of a prop representing the same in universe object.

It's hard to say if changes in a prop equate to in universe changes or not if there is no plot point specifying the change. Some changes are major enough that it is obviously intentional, but others are small enough most people don't even notice and probably were not intended to indicate a change.

Sometimes it's just that the film was made at a significantly different time.

The stormtrooper suits were updated because the originals did not get much detail. I doubt Vader will have as much of a change because the original did get lots of attention to detail.

The film makers may not view the new suits as in universe changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TapatalkTapatalk

Last edited:
Discussing the differences in the suits is great. Saying the film makers should have made different choices than they did is something else. They may have had reasons that have nothing to do with in universe explanations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Because ROTJ is set many years after ANH and the evolution of the suit and helmet is more plausible. (Even if that's not the true reason behind the changes.... prop wise).

So ANH to ROTJ changes are ok because it's over a 3-5 year span, but R1 to ANH no changes are acceptable because it's a very short in between time?

What if they're not supposed to be the same? What if it's an elite squad or something to that effect?

You keep using the '10 minute gap' or whatever for a basis. WIthout seeing the movie there's absolutely no way to know if they're supposed to be the same or not. Additionally we've seen what? 3 of these guys so far? What if they're the only three in this particular suit?

How can you not see this?!.

How to say it in a easy form everyone should be able to understand ...... without reading between lines or other stuff .....

It doesn´t matter. They could used bought FX suits, it wouldn´t matter.

We are reproducing movie props, but the movie makers set the mark what is used. It doesn´t matter if we like it.

They decide how it looks, all we can do is saying yes/no in regard to if WE (each one of us on it´s own) like it enough to make/own a reproduction.

Some will like it enough to want to own that suit, some won´t. Some like the TFA suits, some don´t. Some like the RS suits, some think it looks like cheaply made garbage. Whatever one thinks, it doesn´t matter for the other group

But each of them is still movie accurate, so it´s good enough for the RPF (or those that like it).

How to say it in a easy form everyone should be able to understand ...... without reading between lines or other stuff .....

It doesn´t matter. They could used bought FX suits, it wouldn´t matter.

We are reproducing movie props, but the movie makers set the mark what is used. It doesn´t matter if we like it.

They decide how it looks, all we can do is saying yes/no in regard to if WE (each one of us on it´s own) like it enough to make/own a reproduction.

Some will like it enough to want to own that suit, some won´t. Some like the TFA suits, some don´t. Some like the RS suits, some think it looks like cheaply made garbage. Whatever one thinks, it doesn´t matter for the other group

But each of them is still movie accurate, so it´s good enough for the RPF (or those that like it).

So what you're saying, is that NONE OF OUR OPINIONS MATTER????????

Shocking

/s

That's how I feel. I want an RS ANH for my collection....and I want an R1 from whoever decides to make one.

So ANH to ROTJ changes are ok because it's over a 3-5 year span, but R1 to ANH no changes are acceptable because it's a very short in between time?

What if they're not supposed to be the same? What if it's an elite squad or something to that effect?

You keep using the '10 minute gap' or whatever for a basis. WIthout seeing the movie there's absolutely no way to know if they're supposed to be the same or not. Additionally we've seen what? 3 of these guys so far? What if they're the only three in this particular suit?

Yes I've read your theory.

It is a possibility but I respectfully believe otherwise.

I truly believe that what we are seeing are standard stormtroopers.

Putting aside everything else here is my reasoning behind this :

In 96/97 (?) when they shot additional footage for the Special Edition, they did the same terrible job as far as continuity is concerned.

They wanted to extend the 'Look Sir droid' scene with additional sand troopers and Cgi Dewbacks.

Prop wise they had everything they needed in the archives to shoot the scene properly as only 4 suits were needed, but instead, decided to use( ROTJ styled) Tour Suits.

For me that's one of the most unwatchble scenes in the SE of ANH, (original stormtroopers being my main focus of interest, hobby wise).

Putting aside the general public (the 99 % as you say) I would be hard pressed to believe that no reasonable SW enthusiast has never noticed.

They are on screen long enough, unlike a resin blaster or a saber variation hanging from a belt for only a few shots.

On second viewing my 8 years old nephew asked me why the Trooper with the electrobinoculars and the ones walking in the sand looked different to the 'someone was in the pod' /'look sir droids' troopers.

Universe wise you could always/also say that it is an elite sand trooper squad, that's why they are so different : sure why not.

My own personal preference is : I don't like it,

the filmmakers were not too concerned with continuity and used what looked good to them at the time, only a very small fraction of individuals would scrutinize this stuff, etc... etc.

Maybe you don't care, maybe you like the SE , all of this is fine.

I'll see R1 , I'm looking forward to it but yes I had expectations and hopes.

Having exceptions and hopes doesn't mean you expect them to be met.

I knew they wouldn't.

Thank god this board is here to discuss these things with people that share your opinion and others that don't, even if I think this discussion would be more suited in the screen used original prop section of the forum.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back