Inara Props Firefly/Serenity

Yup, I saw that :) It's beautiful I must say :thumbsup But still, nowhere near like the screen-used one though :(

Hi everyone.

Coming to the party late, as usual, but as a recovering beader/bead-a-holic, I can pretty much tell you what I think I know about the screen-used slave bracelet mentioned.

1) the gems in it are labradorite, cut and polished en cabochon.
2) bezel settings
3) The bracelet looks to be constructed of several pieces. You have

a) the bracelet, that has
b) two rings soldered onto it for the
c) two chains that go to
d) the center gem piece which was constructed as a cabochon link (or pendant) that was outfitted with two loops, so that it can
e) lead off by chain to the
f) ring, the gem for which is another bezel-set cabochon with a loop for the chain, all of which might be
g) soldered to a ring blank, which may or may not have an adjustable band

The loops for the chain might either have been manufactured as part of the bezel settings for use as pendants or links OR they might have been soldered on afterward. The chain can be bought separately by the inch, the foot, or the yard. Jump rings are usually employed to connect the chain ends to the loops in the bezel settings. Opening and closing the links in the chain itself is not recommended.

I got a lot of my supplies from www.firemountaingems.com They do not require a wholesale license to sell to their customers, like more specialized companies such as Rio Grande do.

If you are interested in making this prop, I would recommend going through firemountain gems and other similar bead/jewelry catalogs online. To find more companies, do a google search for "bead catalogs" or go to any magazine section in a bookstore and look for beading magazines.

I recommend Bead & Button Magazine for beading and jewelry supplies. The ads in Bead & Button are legion and cover a vast range of styles and supplies. Lapidary Journal is more for the hard core fabricators and lapidarists but will have ads for high-end gem and materials suppliers. The magazines are stuffed full of ads for companies, many of which do not require wholesale licenses from their customers. There is no need to limit yourself to just the two magazine titles mentioned here, as there are more magazines of this type. I only offered the two as titles to get you started.

As for myself, my beads have been lying around sadly neglected. I discovered Firefly and Serenity in 2005 and pretty much have left my other hobbies in the dust. LOL. Still, I have an obsession over small props like this and paper props, given my background as a crafter and artist, so who knows? I might take up my beads again and make something Versified with them. ;)

Links for further reference:
Bead & Button Magazine: http://bnb.jewelrymakingmagazines.com/
Lapidary Journal Magazine: Lapidary Journal Magazine

I dont mind telling people I have Inara's chest. Its a small chest from the movie that looks like something from Pier 1.

Slowly working my way through some projects that have been neglected for a while. Today I unpacked all my Firefly/Serenity stuff and updated my Inara Companion binder. I finally ripped out the crappy plywood and installed the accurate moire cloth lining from a certificate holder that I bought almost a year ago.

Thanks again to LordArgyll for pointing this out!

inara8.jpg

inara9.jpg

inara10.jpg

I think LordArgyll is right about that cloth lining, but it is mounted to some kind of hard backing as you can tell by the thickness on the prop. I think I'll buy some of that fabric and glue it to my plywood ;)

Next I've got the Maidenhead Bar gun to work on (yes Mike, still haven't completed it) and two Jaynestown holdout pistols...

Last edited:
Slowly working my way through some projects that have been neglected for a while. Today I unpacked all my Firefly/Serenity stuff and updated my Inara Companion binder. I finally ripped out the crappy plywood and installed the accurate moire cloth lining from a certificate holder that I bought almost a year ago.

Thanks again to LordArgyll for pointing this out!

inara8.jpg

inara9.jpg

inara10.jpg
What did you use for the binder?

wow, looks really sharp.

Thanks.
I did update this in my collection thread, but forgot this one:

Slowly the Inara collection becomes a meaningful display.
I finally got my Shawna Trpcic sketch under glass.
I'm not sure how I want to display the actual cloth samples that were attached to the sketch.
I do have a plan for the gold material that is the same as The Message dress.
I'll make a shadow box out of a picture frame for the replica of Inara's Trash pistol.

Inaradisplay02JPEG.jpg

In one of those odd paradoxes that so often define life:
Inara was a graceful clothes horse who costume designer Shawna Trpcic described as her real-life Barbie doll;
played by tomboy, blue jeans favoring Morena Baccarin.
Kaylee, the usually grubby ships mechanic in coveralls was played by self-confessed shop-a-holic clothes horse, Jewel Staite.

Mike
My Firefly/ Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

Is Inara the only one ever shown practicing calligraphy? River is shown making notes in Book's bible, but it looks like she's using a marker or a fat pencil. With the move to simpler technologies in some aspects of life, do you think people who don't use strictly digital writing tech use older tech pens? Like dip pens and fountain pens? Simon has a diary, but we never see him actually writing in it.

Trying to revive this thread for some more info on some of Inara's props that I can't seem to find any info on. Specifically, some of her less often seen necklaces.

One: the red square necklace from the pilot "Serenity"
View attachment 150720

Two: the gold circular necklace from the pilot "Serenity" and "The Traiin Job". I think they may have used it other places too, but it is most often paired with that fabulous purple dress of her's.
View attachment 150721
View attachment 150722
View attachment 150723

Any ideas on what to even start looking for or where? Probably found pieces, I know, but the gold one looks like it may be some kind of art deco imitation piece. Any thoughts?

Since this thread popped back up.. and I don't think I ever even made a thread about it (a couple of years back). This was my wife's Inara dress from The Message.

Thought this would be a good place to show it off. I helped with the design and picked out all of the fabric, but I had to commission the sewing.

(Horrible picture, but the only one I can find).
59577_1604437877662_5484770_n.jpg

It's beautiful. Is that fabric pattern screen accurate? What blend is the fabric? It's got a fantastic sheen to it.

For the bodice, I am confident to say it is 100% accurate. It is a brocade silk. The rest was my best guess based on the few screen grabs I had (that dress is on screen only a few seconds).

The skirt portion was silk - which I hand-dyed to get the perfect color.

I honestly don't remember where I found the silk. It was a mix of pure luck and a few weeks of searching everywhere until I found it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back