The Last Jedi Graflex Research - Spoilers inside!

Probably been noted here before, but I just noticed they used the stunt on the poster art.

D8v7Yf6.jpg

Does it proove its a folmer one?

That depends, as far as I'm aware of the early Folmer Graflex used stainless steel glass eyes. It's the Folmer Graflex with patent and Graflex Inc that uses the brass plated eyes. But this is just second hand knowledge so I could be wrong.:D

I just finished my viewing of the hour and a half documentary for TLJ. And the only things interesting that I saw as far as the props are concerned were. A shot of the internal electronics in a Kylo FX stunt. And it looked like Daisy was practicing with the FX stunt with the long antennae from TFA. There were a few other shots of some FX sabers but I'm afraid I didn't look at them closely. I was on the search for the "creepy uncle lightsaber":D

I just finished my viewing of the hour and a half documentary for TLJ. And the only things interesting that I saw as far as the props are concerned were. A shot of the internal electronics in a Kylo FX stunt. And it looked like Daisy was practicing with the FX stunt with the long antennae from TFA. There were a few other shots of some FX sabers but I'm afraid I didn't look at them closely. I was on the search for the "creepy uncle lightsaber":D

Creepy uncle, and the Ben solo padawan killer. We need more pictures of these bad boys

So based on how compositing works, in the final shot of this scene the Graflex would be CG.

Where he throws it, you mean? Because you see him actually throw it in the documentary (watching right now, came here to post one of the pics already posted :p )

I mean in the close up. The one he tosses over his shoulder is a resin stunt. I know that for sure from one of the RPF deep sources, but I'll leave it up to him to confirm or deny.

So based on how compositing works, in the final shot of this scene the Graflex would be CG.

They can do amazing things in comp; I suspect it's more likely that they'd have done a paint-out on his hand and used the Nuke equivalent of the clonestamp to fill in the bits for the saber and robe where Hamill's hand was.

I guess technically that would make the saber partially CG, but not a 3D model and just cloned pixel data.

They can do amazing things in comp; I suspect it's more likely that they'd have done a paint-out on his hand and used the Nuke equivalent of the clonestamp to fill in the bits for the saber and robe where Hamill's hand was.

I guess technically that would make the saber partially CG, but not a 3D model and just cloned pixel data.

That's what I meant, yes-- sorry. That also explains the detail shifts we are talking about in the creepy uncle thread.

the little down-crimp on that clamp wrap under the bars is interesting.

I was thinking the same thing, like the bends were made just slightly too far apart and the main portion of the wrap is too long.

The clamp sidebars also look a little funny to me, especially the one on the side opposite the lever. More like the way The Graflex Shop does theirs, per Joek3rr's thread https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=287720

20180225_234054.jpg

If the clamp sidebars are folded as normal, it looks like they're at least more refined than most of the vintage ones I've seen, admittedly in pictures only as I've never had a vintage. The TLJ one doesn't look quite like the TGS sidebars, I think I can see where the seam is between the side and the front, but it's harder to see than normal. Maybe it's just the angle and the light in that specific picture.

From the latest Cinefex magazine:

MDS00030.jpg

As you can see, it would appear that they *did* model the Graflex in CG, but nothing is mentioned about it specifically in the photo caption or in the text of the article. I would guess that it was done to assist the CG artist with how the mechanical hand interacted with it - I can't imagine that there would have been a need to completely paint out the prop and replace it with a digital version.

From the latest Cinefex magazine:

View attachment 802577

As you can see, it would appear that they *did* model the Graflex in CG, but nothing is mentioned about it specifically in the photo caption or in the text of the article. I would guess that it was done to assist the CG artist with how the mechanical hand interacted with it - I can't imagine that there would have been a need to completely paint out the prop and replace it with a digital version.

They probably did it for reflection catching – that slightly-too-shiny relfection of Luke's index finger, for example – and for shadows. They built his sleeve, too, but didn't replace the real element with it.

Last edited:
The rivet holding the beer tab has some rust/dirt on it. Trying to see if this hero appears anywhere else in the film

Accidental, great new pics

Title, the documentary your talking about? Will this be on the Best Buy Blu-ray? I want to make sure the Blu-ray I buy has this doc on it. I’m so scared I’m going to buy the wrong one

TFA had so many content exclusives I had to research pretty good before buying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back