Is Disney/LFL incapable of making anything new?

Even though many of the people who share my same beliefs in how bad TLJ was, dont feel the same way I do about the PT, I`m absolutely fine with that and I would never consider their comments about it as troll bait., just differing opinions. Big deal.
That's not what I was talking about. That's legitimate discussion, even if I disagree with it. I was referring to the "SW IQ" crap that's being peddled.

That's not what I was talking about. That's legitimate discussion, even if I disagree with it. I was referring to the "SWIQ" crap that's being peddled.

You are an anti-SWIQ-ite. A RABID anti-SWIQ-ite!
fda9acd2300fc45fedf53a5bacd60ebc.gif

I don't think it's a matter of Disney being able to come up with original content for Star Wars I think the problem is that they clearly don't have a PLAN for the Lucasfilm content the way that Marvel does.

That's the real issue here.

I don't think it's a matter of Disney being able to come up with original content for Star Wars I think the problem is that they clearly don't have a PLAN for the Lucasfilm content the way that Marvel does.

That's the real issue here.

Its more than clear that they dont have a plan but the real issue is a complete lack of originality. Without going through the many examples again, it is obvious all the work done is simply a Bizzaro World version of the OT to scrape together Eps 7 and 8. I expect nothing to change for 9.

Regardless of the legal implications if any on the Solo poster fiasco, its simply another glaring example of that lack of creativity. Here`s hoping that the GOT connection will spin this thread in another direction.

To be completely fair and to play the devil's advocate, it's not 1970s any more, a huge amount of science fiction has been done since (a vast amount of them influenced by Star Wars) and the Star Wars EU has pretty much touched upon every single bathroom, shoe, hairband or spaceship that ever existed in the Star Wars universe. Under these cirmustances it is nigh impossible to create anything that hasn't been done before one way or another. So while it's fun poking fun at seeing Maz Kanata-esque character 15 years before TFA or having Luke force project in Dark Empire way before TLJ it is a total saturation of concepts and ideas and overlapping is inevitable. Even that Solo poster, while it's pretty amusing, I'm sure it was not KK or someone at Disney saying let's rip those album covers off, it was the contracted art company that went there (still pretty funny to me).

That being said there are obvious that's very consciously lifted from other material and the old EU. Ben Solo as Leia's son vs Ben Skywalker as Luke's son, Jyn Erso vs Jan Ors, partial story arcs...Star Wars did become this thing like a 70s rock band that was really groundbreaking and influential and inspired tons of bands. Then in the mid 80s they started to follow those new bands that were fashionable and who were actually inspired by them and thus the classic band just became one of the many.

I`m not totally across the point your trying to make but speaking for myself, I dont want to revisit the seventies as the experience was perfect the first time around but I also dont want to sit through a rehash of that period which through terrible writing, cheapens that best part of that creation simply to artificially make the current inferior protagonists seem more relevant. As mentioned previously, there is great hope that the GOT boys will indeed come up with some new original ideas that can rival what has been seen by other production houses as they will be "free from the past".

As for the poster fiasco, it is reasonable to not lay blame at the feet of Kennedy but as the old saying goes, the fish rots from the head down and the poster is just the latest highlight of a string of poor decisions and perception is everything. Take the as yet unmentioned here social media underling who has a poster with a cross over the the face of the franchises greatest hero on his work station and his response to its public airing. Not a big deal maybe but unthinkable in the Lucas era. A far more successful, stable era I might add.

I’ve known Justin for years, ever since he was a co-host for the ForceCast after Jimmy and Jason left. He loves Luke, but he loves all things Imperial more and decorated his cubicle as if it was an Empire propaganda rally. But leave it to morons online to try and craft it into something it’s not.

Attachments

• AF7F8A2E-CA6D-4DC7-8D79-F77C37B7FBC1.png
    AF7F8A2E-CA6D-4DC7-8D79-F77C37B7FBC1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
I`m not totally across the point your trying to make but speaking for myself, I dont want to revisit the seventies as the experience was perfect the first time around but I also dont want to sit through a rehash of that period which through terrible writing, cheapens that best part of that creation simply to artificially make the current inferior protagonists seem more relevant. As mentioned previously, there is great hope that the GOT boys will indeed come up with some new original ideas that can rival what has been seen by other production houses as they will be "free from the past".

As for the poster fiasco, it is reasonable to not lay blame at the feet of Kennedy but as the old saying goes, the fish rots from the head down and the poster is just the latest highlight of a string of poor decisions and perception is everything. Take the as yet unmentioned here social media underling who has a poster with a cross over the the face of the franchises greatest hero on his work station and his response to its public airing. Not a big deal maybe but unthinkable in the Lucas era. A far more successful, stable era I might add.

GoT team will fail. They rely on shock value and RR Martin's material. Without a stronger writer to crib from or someone to force sex upon or kill or both, they have nothing.

We've entered a time when people are chosen if they've been involved with something popular, as opposed to being chosen due to genuine skill or ability.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back