The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

so while all of you are working on the star lord from GotG2 I'm still working on my star lord from GotG1

this is what i'm doing now:
i found a Phillipse AQ something something dark side ( i'll edit this in when i'm back home) walkman, in working order
and i'm gonna mod this one to look like the Sony tpsl2

pro's: i
-ts working
-it has a belt buckle (in the right direction)
-it's cheap

con;
-i gotta put some work in it but hey my time is worth nothing XD
-the front is curved ( already pulled the front cover of and put filler on that puppy)
IMG_20170714_082901.jpg

so next step is sanding
using my fake dremmel to carve a piece out of the front
need to find a plastic to put in that hole i just made
carve in some details(? maybe i donno)
and paint that sucker blue and silver

wish me luck

I'm still working on VOL1 too. I have really bad luck ordering gear which sets me back in a variety of ways.

Big trouble ordering clothes due to my size, Large-Short. I order something, it doesn't fit somehow, then I have to order a custom size. And when I do that, for some reason something always gets messed up.

So I'm just getting really gun-shy about ordering gear. And the next piece is Danny's jacket. Which he already said he does returns. But I'm still just nervous about it.

At least if I can get all the sizes sorted, VOL2 stuff will be a lot easier to order.

So I got a TCM-100 recently, and it doesn't seem to be working. The seller believed it was a simple belt replacement that would do the trick, but I opened it up and I have like no electronic knowledge, but the belts seem to be fine compared to the messed up ones I've seen in tutorial videos. Anyway, the light indicator lights up, there is white noise coming from the speaker, but the gears aren't turning. It seems pretty pristine otherwise, not even cosmetic damage, just seems odd it's not working given how well the previous owner took care of it. Has anyone here repaired one of these that could possibly help me out?

They've made changes to the soles over the years. There are 3 different ones I've seen so far (of the all black variety). The shoes from the second movie are made from a newer sole than the first ones.

I have Diameters from before VOL1 released and Diameters bought in the last 6 months. Both soles are identical...or at least as identical as a mass manufactured sole can be. I also have about 2 or 3 other pair of Diameters bought between them...all the same sole.

I can corroborate that there are different Diameter soles. The changes are very subtle, but definitely there. For one. the "depth" of the treads is different. The pattern of nubs is basically the same, but on some variants they "stick out" more, whereas on others they are more streamlined and tight against the shoe.

I can corroborate that there are different Diameter soles. The changes are very subtle, but definitely there. For one. the "depth" of the treads is different. The pattern of nubs is basically the same, but on some variants they "stick out" more, whereas on others they are more streamlined and tight against the shoe.

Skechers quality control is not that great. Look for "subtle" differences and you will find them.

I just checked one of my pairs. The nubs on the left shoe have more space around them than the nubs on the right shoe. I can also find some degree of small difference in nub position. But nothing I would call a design change or anything like that. Just Skechers pumping out shoes on the cheap and not being super careful about how they are being made.

Last edited:
Skechers quality control is not that great. Look for "subtle" differences and you will find them. It doesn't help that the nubs and some of the tread is bonded onto the sole and not molded onto it.

Well, they're not that subtle. There are clear differences between difference styles of diameter. It could be the molding process, or if different factories are producing different versions over different years, but the changes I looked at don't appear to be due to sloppy manufacturing because they seem fairly uniform. When I bought my last pair of diameters I looked a lot of models and noticed the difference. The Vol 1 boots have more defined nubs which you can find on the "Blake" style, which was around at the time of the first movie. Those on the "Zinroy" style (I think it was) are more streamlined.

Either way, I suppose this is nit-picking of the extreme kind these days. I'm surprised it came up for discussion at all! : )

Well, they're not that subtle. There are clear differences between difference styles of diameter. It could be the molding process, or if different factories are producing different versions over different years, but the changes I looked at don't appear to be due to sloppy manufacturing because they seem fairly uniform. When I bought my last pair of diameters I looked a lot of models and noticed the difference. The Vol 1 boots have more defined nubs which you can find on the "Blake" style, which was around at the time of the first movie. Those on the "Zinroy" style (I think it was) are more streamlined.

Either way, I suppose this is nit-picking of the extreme kind these days. I'm surprised it came up for discussion at all! : )

Well, you guys are definitely seeing a difference. I know it's there from looking at my own shoes. I just think it's sloppy manufacturing.

This is a pair Diameters dated 4-1-14. Just the stock slip-on Diameters, not a variant.
diameterinside.jpgdiameterback.jpg

Well-defined nubs on the left and tighter streamlined ones on the right.

And just to see their quality control. Check out the riveted tabs and brand-tag are all wonky.

SansayKAC its an eBay jacket from the user TheBestJackets. its also the same as Danny's jacket from the project runs. it came a little stiff but am very pleased with it now. just going to bleach it appropriately. I'm also kind of knit picky so I am going to try to get some paint that matches the triangles and fix the pattern to be more accurate. and still, great jacket and highly recommended

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2919.JPGIMG_2920.JPGAny tips on glueing these bad boys down? I was thinking of lining the boot with a couple trash bags and then pouring sand in there to evenly distribute all the weight... because the boot is so tall I can't get a clamp in it without creasing the top of the leather

View attachment 744697View attachment 744699Any tips on glueing these bad boys down? I was thinking of lining the boot with a couple trash bags and then pouring sand in there to evenly distribute all the weight... because the boot is so tall I can't get a clamp in it without creasing the top of the leather
For clamping sand can do the trick, just make sure to get it all out :p

You can use contact cement doesn't need a long clamping time and it will never come apart xD

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back