Suicide Squad (Post-release)

Solo4114 What does being fat have to do with not knowing good music? That was kind of a crappy thing to say. Old white dudes I get, but fat? Cmon man.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Solo4114 What does being fat have to do with not knowing good music? That was kind of a crappy thing to say. Old white dudes I get, but fat? Cmon man.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I suppose "fatcat" is more appropriate. Certainly Michael Bay isn't overweight, but is the kind of guy who'd make such a clueless decision, so you raise a fair point. My apologies.

i'm older white and fat. guess i must not know much about anything ;o). sigh.

I gave this movie a skip because MoS and BvS where so boringly depressing and horrible. I STILL haven't given those movies a second viewing..and i have the BvS extended cut sitting on my amazon prime, wondering if it'll come across any better. and hoping Rifftrax will get to it one day.

The ONLY reason i'm planning to give WW a chance, is to see if a different director could manage to iron out some of the problems the DC Movie verse has had. One movie does not save an entire franchise, especially when there is no franchise to save after three duds....but I am hopeful it'll at least be worthy of a second view.

I'll be the first. even green lantern didn't count enough for a second viewing. and I like the GL franchise.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I suppose "fatcat" is more appropriate. Certainly Michael Bay isn't overweight, but is the kind of guy who'd make such a clueless decision, so you raise a fair point. My apologies.
No for sure, I get what you mean by being out of touch as old white guys are, or people like Michael Bay or Zack Snyder etc. I didnt mean to be rude or anything, but as a former fat person I was like "hey, fat people know stuff about music!" Once a fat kid always a fat kid I guess. :cheers

No for sure, I get what you mean by being out of touch as old white guys are, or people like Michael Bay or Zack Snyder etc. I didnt mean to be rude or anything, but as a former fat person I was like "hey, fat people know stuff about music!" Once a fat kid always a fat kid I guess. :cheers

No, no. You definitely weren't rude. I was just being thoughtless, and you rightly pointed it out.

Anyway, I finally finished watching the film last night. It was...ok. A disappointment, really, because of the wasted opportunity. A few final observations.

1. The production design and acting in this film really was good. I don't like the Joker characterization, but pretty much everyone else was solid in their roles. You could tell they were acting well, given the script and direction they received. And, again, the movie was pretty gorgeous. I can't argue with that. The villains of the piece were suitably weird in ways that we haven't seen before and I liked that. It was almost Lovecraftian, which is a nice change of pace from the usual "Evil cloud descends on the planet to destroy it." Unlike, say, Galactus or whatever the hell the villain was in Green Lantern, this "cloud" thing actually looked otherworldly. So, kudos for all of that.

2. The film was both too long and too short. It simply had too much to do, and felt both rushed and bloated all at once. This was most evident in how emotional beats would happen, and would be completely unearned, like one of the characters referring to the group as a "family." What? What the hell is this?! You just met these people, like, 5 hours ago, and all you did was shoot some monsters and share a drink together, and now they're family? No, sorry. Again, Guardians handled this much better, because you got a sense of the scope of the experience these characters shared, even if the film was only around 2hrs long. The pacing and character development actually flowed well. But because this film didn't have time to let pretty much any moment within it really breathe, all the moments felt hurried, even as there were also too many of them packed into a single film.

3. I would have completely restructured the film. Like, from top to bottom. I would've treated this like the DC equivalent of the Dirty Dozen. Show the group training together for missions, show them having friction, getting to know each other, give the story a sense of scope to it. Then throw things sideways by having the main plot of this film kick in (e.g. the main threat). During all of the interactions, you could have the characters convey some of their backstories, maybe showing what I'd call "emotional polaroids" that convey what they went through without devoting long stretches to "Here's my backstory."

4. These characters should've been introduced in other films. This should not have been the 3rd film in the whole DC franchise. These characters are, generally, fairly low-level criminals. Yeah, they're a threat, but the scenes where they're captured probably should've appeared in other films instead of devoting, like, 30 min to showing the capture of only a few of them. I'm thinking of a sequence like the fight against the Rhino at the end of the last Sony Spider-Man film. That's a decent way to introduce a character that you'll use in the future. But instead, we get a rushed introduction to everyone, which means less time to flesh out the connections between the characters and actually earn those later emotional beats.

Solo4114 Rock on man.

My main problem I think with it, was the premise from the beginning. "What would happen if Superman tore off the roof of the White House" etc. And the only one that could have done anything out of that group would have been Enchantress. Maybe Katana too because Superman is vulnerable to magic. I get where they are going with it, but I think those guys would work on a smaller scale along the likes of Batman etc. Cause cmon, a girl with a bat, some dude that shoots guns, a guy that throws boomerangs, and a reptilian dude wouldnt last a second against Superman. Aside from everything you mentioned, which were great ideas and the same qualms I had with it too, this was the other thing I think they should have changed to make it a better flick. Small in comparison to what you listed, but important nonetheless. Cause from the onset, for me, I was already rolling my eyes in the first 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Solo4114 Rock on man.

My main problem I think with it, was the premise from the beginning. "What would happen if Superman tore off the roof of the White House" etc. And the only one that could have done anything out of that group would have been Enchantress. Maybe Katana too because Superman is vulnerable to magic. I get where they are going with it, but I think those guys would work on a smaller scale along the likes of Batman etc. Cause cmon, a girl with a bat, some dude that shoots guns, a guy that throws boomerangs, and a reptilian dude wouldnt last a second against Superman. Aside from everything you mentioned, which were great ideas and the same qualms I had with it too, this was the other thing I think they should have changed to make it a better flick. Small in comparison to what you listed, but important nonetheless. Cause from the onset, for me, I was already rolling my eyes in the first 5 minutes.

Yeah, that's a good point, too. I think it works in the sense of "We need to have people who can take on metahuman criminals, and we may need people for whom we can deny responsibility if they botch the job." But yeah, if Superman is a badguy, these folks won't cut it against him (although, they did take out two demigods, so who knows).

The part that's really stupid, though, is that you not only have Rick Flagg there running the team on the ground...you also have what looked like an entire SEAL Team backing them up. Which kinda eliminates the whole "We'll blame them if it all goes wrong" theory.

In the comics, at best, you'd get some pseudo-good/neutrally aligned costumed character alongside Rick who would be another team leader. Otherwise, it was just Rick running the op. No SEAL backup.

Yeah, that's a good point, too. I think it works in the sense of "We need to have people who can take on metahuman criminals, and we may need people for whom we can deny responsibility if they botch the job." But yeah, if Superman is a badguy, these folks won't cut it against him (although, they did take out two demigods, so who knows).

The part that's really stupid, though, is that you not only have Rick Flagg there running the team on the ground...you also have what looked like an entire SEAL Team backing them up. Which kinda eliminates the whole "We'll blame them if it all goes wrong" theory.

In the comics, at best, you'd get some pseudo-good/neutrally aligned costumed character alongside Rick who would be another team leader. Otherwise, it was just Rick running the op. No SEAL backup.
Totally agree. They shouldnt have beat the demigods though, that was kind of ridiculous.

Yeah! Thats also a good point! Not only that, they didnt even mention the dude that planted the bomb underneath...the brother? Whatever his name was. The whole sacrifice thing was a joke considering they only mentioned Diablo...The writing at the end was SO BAD. The family stuff was so out of left field and for lack of a better word...lame. The HISHE was pretty funny regarding that.

And that makes sense. For the reasons you explicitly stated. Its hard to get into a movie like that when they defy common sense, especially regarding the entire premise i.e. if they botch something, the government wasnt in on it etc.

Finally finished watching it. I cannot put into words how much I hated this film.

I finally finished this abomination tonight as well. It's taken me, literally, like 20 attempted viewings to make it through the entire thing.

It's somehow actually worse than I thought it would be...and that's saying something, because I thought it was going to be horrible.

I agree with the sentiment of not being able to quite put my dissatisfaction into words when it comes to this film...just...ugh.

It's somehow actually worse than I thought it would be...and that's saying something, because I thought it was going to be horrible.

Exactly. I knew it'd be bad but I didn't realize just how bad it could be. It made Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman look like masterpieces by comparison.

I must be the only one on the planet that liked it. I'm not a comic guy so I know next to nothing about any of the characters. Of course I know the Joker from the TV show and other movies, but that's about it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back