Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

That person/group had like 40 followers.... not sure that post is even legit.

https://youtu.be/e5EaGbpvKIw

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Beat me to it. You grossly underestimated this groups influence though,they have 41 followers, not 40. Its interesting to note that the most important person in this whole discussion is still to make a comment, Kelly Marie Tran. I saw on a video this morning that if you temporarily suspend your Instagram account all comments. pictures etc will disappear from it until the account is reactivated. Still. I guess no one is talking about the epic failure Solo is anymore and all the implications that brings to the table.

I'd like to see the math. It's at what world wide? 4-500M? studio should be getting half, 200-225M. If they spent 200 on it, that means they spent 150 in advertising? No way in hell. Espcially when you've got people like Nissan paying you to advertise it for you.

The final figures will be out shortly as the run of Solo will be over probably in a weeks time. The theory that toys and home market will improve the bottom line doesnt hold water as the toys are not selling and to assume that the same people who passed up on the movie are going to spend near double to watch it at home does not hold water either.

Disney will never retain the audience it had because the hardcore love for Star Wars is being grown out of.

My kid and her friends care less about Star Wars than my friends did at their age, and their kids are gonna care even less so. There's gonna be a drop in what $$$ SW films make because the large group that loves it are aging and dying out.

TFA made HUGE money cuz that large group was waiting for that movie... and love or hate it, everyone saw it...

10 years from now any new Star Wars will still make money, but it's only going to be less and less popular because the main draw for all of it, ANH and ESB, is going to be loved less and less by future generations... simply because it's old.

My kids friends barely know who the Beatles are.

So yeah, someone other than KK may bring in new blood, but over time the movies are still gonna make less and less.. She's not to blame entirely for that... there's absolutely no way to sustain or grow the franchise. Marvel works because there are decades of stories to leach from... Star Wars is stuck in Skywalker/Jedi canon.

The final figures will be out shortly as the run of Solo will be over probably in a weeks time. The theory that toys and home market will improve the bottom line doesnt hold water as the toys are not selling and to assume that the same people who passed up on the movie are going to spend near double to watch it at home does not hold water either.

Double?

How much are your movies costing you? It's SO much cheaper at hom.

Two people to go to a flick here is 40 bucks... more if you get a drink.

What's one Blu-ray cost or on demand?

I'm not saying this as a "Solo" thing, but man... half the time me and my friends don't go to a flick cuz we have 70 plus inch TV's at home, and one of us picking up a blu-ray saves 2-4 of us 10-60 dollars...

And we can drink our balls off for next to nothing.

If it wasn't for the love of sitting in a huge theater, usually by myself, at an 11:00 PM show, I would always just buy or torrent my flicks.

Double?

How much are your movies costing you? It's SO much cheaper at hom.

Two people to go to a flick here is 40 bucks... more if you get a drink.

What's one Blu-ray cost or on demand?

I'm not saying this as a "Solo" thing, but man... half the time me and my friends don't go to a flick cuz we have 70 plus inch TV's at home, and one of us picking up a blu-ray saves 2-4 of us 10-60 dollars...

And we can drink our balls off for next to nothing.

If it wasn't for the love of sitting in a huge theater, usually by myself, at an 11:00 PM show, I would always just buy or torrent my flicks.

Here a Blu Ray costs around $40 so yeah, its around double. Doesnt change the fact that the people who stayed away to make a point with their wallet the first time arent going to do the same the second time. I`ve said myself, I`m waiting to watch a friends copy. And the same argument made for TLJ about piracy, or torrent as you call it. can be applied here as well.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it doesn't open in Japan until June 29th.

Oh, theres still a chance for you to nail that $700 million prediction you made then.

Instead of posting something relevant, you just discount the points because of who's making them. This is not intellectual honesty, sir.

That’s actually… a fair point. And while I [gulp] actually agree with Shapiro (he’s still a clown) that most fans aren’t the problem with the creative direction the series has taken, all these attacks on KK - magnified online - come off as red meat for the haters with a nice dusting of misogyny.

I mean, I get that it makes things nice and easy to have a single person to point to and lay blame, and, yes, KK is the captain of that ship, but those who know - I mean *really* know about the inner workings of Lucasfilm - not just speculate and lob digital tomatoes - are *intellectually honest* enough to admit that it’s a big organization with all sorts of stake holders and decision makers - some highly visible, some not…

And I say this as someone who’s *absolutely* not a fan of the sequel trilogy… To me, TLJ is a master class in how *not* to write a screenplay.

That’s actually… a fair point. And while I [gulp] actually agree with Shapiro (he’s still a clown) that most fans aren’t the problem with the creative direction the series has taken, all these attacks on KK - magnified online - come off as red meat for the haters with a nice dusting of misogyny.

I mean, I get that it makes things nice and easy to have a single person to point to and lay blame, and, yes, KK is the captain of that ship, but those who know - I mean *really* know about the inner workings of Lucasfilm - not just speculate and lob digital tomatoes - are *intellectually honest* enough to admit that it’s a big organization with all sorts of stake holders and decision makers - some highly visible, some not…

And I say this as someone who’s *absolutely* not a fan of the sequel trilogy… To me, TLJ is a master class in how *not* to write a screenplay.

That is a very fair point, too. She shouldn't shoulder all the blame. I feel like the internet just became a good place for this split second in time.

That said, she represents the company, so I understand why she's the scapegoat.

Instead of posting something relevant, you just discount the points because of who's making them. This is not intellectual honesty, sir.

People here did the same thing last week when I posted a Breitbart article detailing the willfully dishonest narrative the trades are pushing that Solo will only lose $50M. But the article presented the math behind their claim that the losses would be 3 to 4 times as big, and all we heard from the Breitbart haters on the site was the sound of crickets. Actually, @cayman shen admirably posted, "Good article--gotta give credit where credit's due.".

I get that it makes things nice and easy to have a single person to point to and lay blame, and, yes, KK is the captain of that ship, but those who know - I mean *really* know about the inner workings of Lucasfilm - not just speculate and lob digital tomatoes - are *intellectually honest* enough to admit that it’s a big organization with all sorts of stake holders and decision makers - some highly visible, some not…

It all comes down from the top. KK is the decider. She hires the team to write, direct, and star in these movies. And you had better believe that NO ONE is hired for any position that has influence on the film, who has not been thoroughly vetted for their personal politics. Disney, Lucasfiilm, just like virtually all of Hollyweird, is one giant secular progressive echo chamber. There are some exceptions, of course. But KK won't let them anywhere near her film propaganda machine. Do ya think she'd give the reins to Clint Eastwood to direct one of her SWINO films?? :lol Don't hold your breath.

The Wook

And here we have as recently as today Ruin the Destroyer and Jnr Kasdan using Twitter as their own personal play thing and all the while Kennedy`s silence is DEAFENING.

As she is the be all and end all of every major decision made at Lucasfilm and everyone who works there is ultimately answerable to her and her alone, I`d like people to explain to me who else in the organisation should be held responsible for this entire mess or is qualified to address it, just give me one other name.

Personally speaking, even if it was a man helming LFL at the moment instead of KK, and TLJ and Solo came out on his watch, I'd still be calling for him to be fired. For me, accountability for failure goes beyond gender or race.

Personally speaking, even if it was a man helming LFL at the moment instead of KK, and TLJ and Solo came out on his watch, I'd still be calling for him to be fired. For me, accountability for failure goes beyond gender or race.

Absolutely, that applies without even having to be said but in the current climate I totally get why you did.

This. So much this

Kathy Kennedy answers to Bob Iger and Alan Horn. In a recent interview with the elder Kasdan, he recounted his pitch to them to secure the budget for Solo.

Looking for a single scapegoat in a deeply collaborative process is futile.

Don't get yourself banned Axlotl... just edit your post.

I feel your pain.

Seriously F'd up that we have to qualify and excuse our opinions with disclaimers now.

Twice as out now.
**** yourself, Disney.

edit: @The Wook - email me if I get banned for this. Thanks, pal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't get yourself banned Axlotl... just edit your post.

I feel your pain.
Axlotl, I will, of course. But OldKen's right...let's not let it get there. Tensions are high right now, in the wake of another crappy SWINO film, but moods will even out. You would be sorely missed here, so just take a deep breath, and allow some more time for healing.

The Wook

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back