Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Seeing reports that Solo might actually lose up to $150 million . Holy cow. Just that on its own is enough for a new leadership structure let alone all the other unwanted baggage.

I'd like to see the math. It's at what world wide? 4-500M? studio should be getting half, 200-225M. If they spent 200 on it, that means they spent 150 in advertising? No way in hell. Espcially when you've got people like Nissan paying you to advertise it for you.

Look...I get that there are certain people who take this "toxic fandom" thing too far. However it does exist. No one with any sort of credibility is seriously suggesting that its all fans who have a problem with the current state of the Star Wars franchise. Is every complaint about Star Wars based on some sort of racist, sexist, or some other disgusting thought process? No. But stop acting like its an either or situation. Its not. There are plenty of people who have legitimate complaints with the direction of the franchise. There are also people who are genuinely pissed off that women and people of color are getting equal representation. Saying these people don't exist is just as bad as saying all the critics are racist\sexist.

Ben Shapiro? Bwaaahahaha!!!! So a troll telling everyone troll’s aern’t to blame, that’s rich!

Does Ben Shapiro rape kittens or something?
Am I aligning myself with a serial kitten rapist for agreeing with his article?

Maybe it's time I just walked away from Star Wars altogether...
Maybe the fandom truly is toxic.
Later, Y'alls.
Thanks for nothing, Disney.

Let's just move on from Ben Shapiro before this discussion gets locked because it went off the political rails.

For folks unaware of him, he is a guy who has a very clear political point of view, and makes his living by expressing that political point of view (mostly to people who already agree with him). Bringing him into the discussion is basically opening the door to this turning political FAST. I don't want that. You don't want that. Nobody wants that. So let's just...not.

I see your absurd article and I raise you with one, that, you know, accounts for reality: https://www.dailywire.com/news/31712/no-star-wars-isnt-failing-because-hateful-trolls-ben-shapiro

lol, you're really gonna come back with a Ben Shapiro article...? Oh man...

tenor.gif

Toxicity in online culture is absolutely a problem: whether it’s some mouth breather lobbing racial slurs at Kelly Marie Tran or Leslie Jones, some inbred clown on Twitter telling a 10-year-old girl you can’t wait to rape her because she won a baking contest, or a million other examples - and sadly it seems like this hostility is on the increase, with civility on the decrease - as long as people think it’s perfectly okay to act like this - real or virtual.

Is every complaint about Star Wars based on some sort of racist, sexist, or some other disgusting thought process? No. But stop acting like its an either or situation. Its not.

It is kind of an either/or situation though apparently. Maybe it wasn't smart for Disney to make a statement to a fan base that has largely been white males, and still will be, no matter what. The only white males of note are bad guys, or the heroes to a few generations that they turned into losers and then killed off. After a while, it begins to feel like a finger is being pointed at you. Bad boy.

There's still an OT main hero missing from the ST, which is Lando. I don't think they know how to dispatch of him without looking bad, so he's been completely ignored. Maybe that's worse.

It is ironic that a "Solo" movie is where that longtime fanbase has begun to lose interest, and all the ploys to pick up the influx of new fans is proving difficult.

If me saying this makes me a racist and sexist in one's eyes, maybe it says more about that person, than me.

Nobody's denying that toxic fans is a problem. Certainly in the case of KMT quitting social media, toxic fans can be blamed, but to dismiss everyone who hate the current state of Star Wars and calling for KK's head as being toxic, sexist and racist "white males" is totally wrong and ignorant of the root cause. Star Wars is a global phenomenon and is not just limited to the US. I'm an Asian staying in Asia and I absolutely loath TLJ and am unhappy with KK for the direction the franchise is headed for, and there are a lot who feel like me worldwide, not just the US. Does that make me racist? No. Doesn't that make me a sexist? Absolutely not, I love watching GOOD movies with well developed female leads. I watch SW to escape from the politics of the real world, not to experience it there also. That is why I will be glad if KK steps down from LFL and RJ stays the hell away from the franchise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back