Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

@tomleech wins the prize!! You are the first person to finish a V2 using the new stencils!
That looks fantastic! Excellent job!
Is there any way you'd let me post a (credited of course) pic of this on my thread so show what the finished product looks like?

Woo! What's the prize Sure, share away, I have a couple of vertical ones too but I can't post pics here from my phone...

Last edited by a moderator:

Got my stencils peeled off and polished the paint to give it a better sheen and blend the edges better with the hilt. Also got the windvane painted and I think I got the colour pretty close! Kind of hard to see in these pics but it's not just a solid colour, there's a lot going on :)

Just need to chip away at the flat black areas like inbetween the ribs and add a few more scratches and details and I'm there! :D

View attachment 819603View attachment 819604
Really wish mine will be that beautiful !
Great job [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Am I the only one thats ended up with a bit of a gap between the emitter ring and body after doing the edge warping? It got a bit larger when i had to bend one of the dents back, but i always kept it against a flat surface so Im not sure how it happened really. This was one of my fears from the start when I learned that the ring was a separate piece that I knew had to be warped...

FullSizeRender.jpegFullSizeRender-1.jpegFullSizeRender-2.jpegFullSizeRender-3.jpeg

Am I the only one thats ended up with a bit of a gap between the emitter ring and body after doing the edge warping? It got a bit larger when i had to bend one of the dents back, but i always kept it against a flat surface so Im not sure how it happened really. This was one of my fears from the start when I learned that the ring was a separate piece that I knew had to be warped...

View attachment 819650View attachment 819647View attachment 819648View attachment 819649

A little too hard core with the hitting, that makes the cap warp.

Very small taps. You can put it in a vise upside down and bang it back, be sure to use heat or she will crack

I’m hoping to have more free time this weekend to catch up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

A varying mix of Citadel (Tin Bitz, Chestnut Ink, Black) and Tamiya (copper) paints applied in various layers with various methods (drybrush, airbrush, q-tip) that got burned with a blowtorch and polished on a wheel and dabbed with acetone. I was kind of just playing around until I got the effect I was after ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Absolutely outstanding tom! It looks great!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Small taps were doing nothing on mine, even after heating :/

Oh well, I'll probably just hope that paint fills the gap, I'm afraid to go back to hitting it at this point.

Small taps were doing nothing on mine, even after heating :/

Oh well, I'll probably just hope that paint fills the gap, I'm afraid to go back to hitting it at this point.

The jig also helps keep things locked down.

I’m making a video Sunday on how I do it

Yup, I used the washers jig like you had shown. I didnt really get the gap until i had to pound the opposite direction to take out that one dent that you also corrected. Maybe going around the whole flange from the top again will flatten things out.

Here's where I ended up with my booster and pommel. The Pommel is all dishwasher darkening, which unfortunately didnt work on the booster piece at all. So the booster I had to do with PermaBlue Paste. I tried about 4 different things and was about to go to the A14 before I got the color I wanted with the PermaBlue.

IMG_6516-1.jpegIMG_6517-1.jpegIMG_6518-1.jpeg

Last edited:

Yup, I used the washers jig like you had shown. I didnt really get the gap until i had to pound the opposite direction to take out that one dent that you also corrected. Maybe going around the whole flange from the top again will flatten things out.

Here's where I ended up with my booster and pommel. The Pommel is all dishwasher darkening, which unfortunately didnt work on the booster piece at all. So the booster I had to do with PermaBlue Paste. I tried about 4 different things and was about to go to the A14 before I got the color I wanted with the PermaBlue.

View attachment 819865View attachment 819866View attachment 819867

So, maybe silly question, but how do you get the different sheens/weathering on the pommel? Did you mask off the upper sections and leave the cubes exposed in the dishwasher? Or just use steel wool to knock it back where you dont want the darker sections?

Trying to figure out how to many these a pdf so they are the exact size

I can always take a aerial shot, and the you can print them out in different sizes until you get it to fit the other diameter of the emitter

I’d certainly be ok with a photo and then just scale it to fit! ;)

What’s everyone’s thoughts on clear coating the paint once the stencils are removed? I’m thinking a light dusting might help protect everything but I don’t want to ruin the metal finish also. It’s quite obvious that the original wasn’t clear coated so perhaps it’s not best?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on clear coating the paint once the stencils are removed? I’m thinking a light dusting might help protect everything but I don’t want to ruin the metal finish also. It’s quite obvious that the original wasn’t clear coated so perhaps it’s not best?
I've had the same debate with myself on my second run V2. I haven't clear coated it yet, I like that the weathering has started to look slightly more natural, especially around the edges of the stenciled paint. But I'm thinking that some day I will have to lightly clear coat it, the Rust-Oleum I used looks good but I can still scratch it off pretty easily. I think it'll largely have to do with what kind of paint you go with, something like duracoat probably wouldn't need to be clear coated.

If you are using the a14 it is a MUST to seal it

You have to pay attention to what paints you use, you can’t mix lacquer with enamels. And I don’t like mixing clear coat brands, i used rustoleum paint, I will seal with rustoleum clear coat

I sealed my creepy uncle after the a14 bath and you can’t tell at all, made zero difference in physical appearance

But again if your using this chemical it is a must to seal, it will eventually oxidize if not sealed, and ruin the pinta finish you worked so hard on achieving

Last edited:

So, maybe silly question, but how do you get the different sheens/weathering on the pommel? Did you mask off the upper sections and leave the cubes exposed in the dishwasher? Or just use steel wool to knock it back where you dont want the darker sections?

yeah the whole thing turned dark, I went over it all with scotchbrite pads and then cleaned up the shiny areas with sandpaper and steel wool.

man, you guys are really getting good at those V2! everytime I see one it's just better than the previous one! :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back