ANH Vader V2 Hero Lightsaber (aka black sidebars) specs gathering & build

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Hey guys I'm in the process of building the Vader Hero V2 black sidebar lightsaber and I'm finding that the measurements for this lightsaber are not anywhere that I can find. I thought I'd gather up what little info I have and ask if anyone else has anything to add. I'm only aware of a couple photos of this lightsaber and I think one is a screenshot from the movie. SethS has some good info on this saber in his lightsaber guide book but it doesn't have the measurements of the grips or the diode card. I found the diode card is easy to figure out length because you just cut it off immediately along each outer diode.

I think the list of things that needs to be determined are:
Length of grips
Length and width of diode card
clamp placement
grip placement

Does anyone have any specs or think of other things that I didn't think of?

MPP ANH V2_zpsobxcrjru.jpg

Last edited:
Re: ANH Vader V2 Hero Lightsaber (aka black sidebars) specs gathering

I bet roygilsing has done legwork in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not certain, but I always thought that the grips were the same length as the other ANH MPP, and the clamp was just slid down to meet them.

I'm not certain, but I always thought that the grips were the same length as the other ANH MPP, and the clamp was just slid down to meet them.
This is what I remember too.

I have one of these cards in my Parks MPP, since the sidebars are black anyways. The LEDs have multiple silver leads on either side, but one side has more than the other. This means its harder to jam it in the clamp on one side, and easier on the other, causing the misalignment. when it comes to centering it in the clamp.

The card with all 7 digits is also longer than the clamp, so it hangs over the edge on both sides, looks like they evened out the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

also looks like this does not have trapezoidal sidebars, look at the top left corner in that B&W photo

I think the grips may be slightly longer than what we think of as ANH length but not quite as long as ESB length. I had my Parks MPP configured like the V2 for a while with standard ANH-length grips and the gap between the clamp and port holes was a bit too wide when compared to the above photograph.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I think you'll need a genuine one-step shroud MPP flashgun ... before you can even start worrying about all the other specs ... do you agree?

Chaïm

I have my eye on a very nice two step shroud - bad idea?

I used some pliers to smash down the edge of the leads on the long side so they would fit.

This is what I remember too.

I have one of these cards in my Parks MPP, since the sidebars are black anyways. The LEDs have multiple silver leads on either side, but one side has more than the other. This means its harder to jam it in the clamp on one side, and easier on the other, causing the misalignment. when it comes to centering it in the clamp.

The card with all 7 digits is also longer than the clamp, so it hangs over the edge on both sides, looks like they evened out the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

also looks like this does not have trapezoidal sidebars, look at the top left corner in that B&W photo

I cut mine the other night and here are some pics next to a ruler. I took photos of both imperial and metric sides of the ruler.

1 1/16 inches by 19/32 inch
IMG_5182.JPGIMG_5183.JPG

43mm by 15mm
IMG_5181.JPGIMG_5184.JPG

But that's a replica.

Indeed ... to find a genuine MPP with accurate one-step shroud is like a needle in a haystack ... Roy's shroud is close to the real part ... and if you don't tell it's a replica on a vintage body ... my lips are sealed ... remember what George said to his crew ... 'Don't make it real, make it believable!'

Chaïm

The one image we have here is pretty straight-- not a lot of foreshortening going on, so I think photo-forensics would work out well given we know the measurements of the clamp band and the distance between the portholes.

Sorry about the audio in this video, I still had my underwater housing on my gopro, and it makes everything sound muffled and weird. I played with the audio a bit to make it louder, more clear and get rid of the hum of the AC fan.

Part 1.

Made a video about painting the endcap of my Heiland.

Does anyone have a real MPP clamp they could measure and share with me? I have my TCC clamp, I just want to make sure that it is the exact same size.

My measurement for the TCC clamp with plastic sleeve is 1 7/8 inch.

I've never done any photo forensics before but I think the concept is pretty simple, at least for a straight on shot like this.

Unfortunately the image is not very clear, so it's hard to tell where one thing ends and the other begins, but this is what I came up with for length.

Grip length - 3.863 inches or 98.1 mm

That is based on the clamp being 1 7/8 inches. I had to approximate where the edges were.

Anyone else come up with something similar?

Screenshot 2017-08-24 11.34.56.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back