EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

Why would Efx ever do that ?

If they made the inexpensive plastic ones first, people would have bought them to satisfy their Vader need and then no one would shell out the big-bucks for a more expensive fiberglass version. It's like the server bringing you free bread before you order dinner and now you're less hungry so you don't order the steak and lobster and just get a burger instead.

If they sold the more expensive fiberglass one but announced they were also going to make an inexpensive plastic one later, lots of people who might have bought the more expensive fiberglass version would instead purchase the inexpensive plastic version.

This is sales and marketing 101. Sell the best, most expensive helmet you can and make the most money. Then, make a cheaper version to capture the people who didn't get the expensive version and, oh by the way, half the folks who did buy the expensive version are also going to buy the cheap version and you'll get their money twice.

Efx sold these the smart way.

I know all this. My point was that I just find it shady to release a massively less expensive version that 's essentially the same as the expensive version, but made from different material. I was wondering if their was repeated precedent in eFX history that would indicate they'd do this (I'm not that familiar with their stuff but it seems to me they don't often make many very expensive items, seemingly implying they are the only ones to be made, followed by nearly identical cheaper item.

I would have gotten the less expensive version had it been available, as you say. Instead I have the pricey version. Wish I'd known eFX would do this.

Sean

In EFX's defense, they might have had no idea back when they released the fiberglass helmet that they might do an injection molded mass production version someday. Injection tooling is a huge investment (not to mention the upfront licensing fees) and before surge in Star Wars maina the past year or two difficult to justify. I might not like the way EFX runs their business overall or their casual disregard for website maintainence but I can't fault them for this.

In EFX's defense, they might have had no idea back when they released the fiberglass helmet that they might do an injection molded mass production version someday. Injection tooling is a huge investment (not to mention the upfront licensing fees) and before surge in Star Wars maina the past year or two difficult to justify.

Yeah, because ever since 1977 Star Wars has faded from people's memory, totally vacant from pop culture with virtually no demand from the public. ;)

I might not like the way EFX runs their business overall or their casual disregard for website maintainence but I can't fault them for this.

I, and I'm sure many others, can (fault them for this).

Sean

This. You should be able to make money on your fiberglass efx vader ot break even at least.

Sell your fiberglass EFX helmet and you'll get a very good price for it. Then buy the cheaper version for much less.

Yes, maybe. But that's not the case with most collectables. I'd say most lose value upon release. Sideshow, for example, is re-releasing some 1/6 figures with improved sculpts and paint (Bossk for example). At over $200 each it's nothing to sneeze at. It's a bit annoying when, soon after the initial release, an improved version (or in this case with eFX's Vader helmet, a cheaper version) comes along from the same company. And the vast price difference in this Vader helmet compared to the original drives this point home more profoundly.
Anyway...

Sean

I understand your point, but there is precedent for doing this; it's not unique to eFx. Don Post Studios in the 90's for example released their limited run of Deluxe fiberglass versions of Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, and TIE fighter helmets. Several months or maybe a year later they introduced their classic action line made of vinyl similar in shape and size (maybe a bit smaller). The classic action line was not announced at the time the deluxe versions were first being sold.

For me, I wasn't willing to pay $1,000+ for the fiberglass eFX -- even though ANH is by far my fave Vader. This new plastic version is very nice, but like I posted earlier, feels about $100 overpriced for the quality (honestly, if the first Don Post I bought in the '70s was this accurate, I never would have bought another Vader).

I still have the Anovos coming at full price. In an ideal world, THAT one would have been an accurate ANH model for $500 instead of the hybrid they made.

I also own the Post Classic Action Vader I purchased sometime in the late '90s (I think). As I recall, I paid around $150 -- which was quite fair for the quality. Once my Anovos shows up, I'll shoot some comparison photos. But after that, no more Vaders for me!

...unless Rubie's comes out with an accurate Rogue One version.

Can someone explain to me why the paint is incorrect and how it is incorrect? I am not up on ANH style painting for the Vader helmet.

In EFX's defense, they might have had no idea back when they released the fiberglass helmet that they might do an injection molded mass production version someday. Injection tooling is a huge investment (not to mention the upfront licensing fees) and before surge in Star Wars maina the past year or two difficult to justify. I might not like the way EFX runs their business overall or their casual disregard for website maintainence but I can't fault them for this.

I seriously doubt efx or Anovos invest in the equipment to make their products. I believe they arrange for factories in China to make them. The same factory may make products for numerous companies. Part of scheduling delays could be related to getting into the schedule for the factory.

I seriously doubt efx or Anovos invest in the equipment to make their products. I believe they arrange for factories in China to make them. The same factory may make products for numerous companies. Part of scheduling delays could be related to getting into the schedule for the factory.

I did not mean to say that they invested in injection molding equipment. "Tooling" is the industry term for the molds (also referred to as Tools) into which the molten plastic is injected. Mold tooling is machined or otherwise made from metal and very expensive to make. But once it's made, you can pop out thousand of parts for pennies apiece.

So its available for pickup at SDCC before you can actually order it for delivery to yourself.... wonderful.

So I read the website and it stated that if you were not available to pick up the item at SDCC that a shipping fee may be charged. So does this mean I can just order the SE tomorrow and pay for shipping? Which I am totally OK with doing I have been waiting for the SE helmet forever and would really like one. What do you guys suggest?

So I read the website and it stated that if you were not available to pick up the item at SDCC that a shipping fee may be charged. So does this mean I can just order the SE tomorrow and pay for shipping? Which I am totally OK with doing I have been waiting for the SE helmet forever and would really like one. What do you guys suggest?

I was thinking the same thing!

I hope they clarify when it ships. I hope they won't be taking them all to Sdcc and just waiting to see, who picks up their helmet. ..then sending ship notices for all those not picked up. That sounds disastrous Imo.

I just got mine ordered

efx.PNG

Nice to see they have their new website up and running. ...So far much better and more user friendly than their old site.

So you could order now and get it shipped. It's just that you take the CA sales tax hit by doing so...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back