NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

Great. Thanks for taking the time to do that; much appreciated!

Why would I want to interchange them? Well, basically because the cockpit tunnel ridge on the 144 TFA/TLJ model is just awful. The trough is too wide and is filled with random greeblies that don't look anything like either the 5 foot OT Falcon or the TFA/TLJ movie Falcon. It's a source of great mystery to me why Bandai did such a fantastic job on modelling the ship in most every other regard, yet mess that up so badly! They did almost exactly the same thing on the 1:350 version of the ship, weirdly.

I've made a 3D printed replacement ridge, but it's a huge pain to install as you have to get the scribings to match, and that's hard to do well. So I'd almost buy a Lando Falcon just to get a better fitting part. But they're too different for that to work. Ah well. :)

- nkg

You're welcome! I see why you would want to now... I know how difficult it can be to put your corrected piece in there. I did it on the 1/350 falcon and that was challenge! But yeah, they are to dissimilar to make it work.

Funnily enough I think it's easier to fit the 1:350 corrected part than the 1:144 part, because the latter is much wider even though the former is smaller. And so to get it to the correct width you've really gotta screw around! :/

Funnily enough I think it's easier to fit the 1:350 corrected part than the 1:144 part, because the latter is much wider even though the former is smaller. And so to get it to the correct width you've really gotta screw around! :/

I imagine it is! I will do one in the near future, that's for sure...

Another request for info. :) Has anyone bought that book on the Solo Falcon that Pablo Hidalgo wrote? If so, what visual references are there on the corridors, hold, and kissing booth?

Thanks!

- nkg

...the deckplan is very close to the other Cross-Section-books..., just the usage Lando's room etc. and the details are different but trying to fit continuity...

For me, RMQ was really the preliminary designer of the star wars galaxy. But if his designs were translated literally to the screen, it would have been very bland. The real life and character to those designs came from the model makers, costume designers, builders and Lucas himself.

This is one of the reasons I was so outspoken about seeing so many RMQ tributes coming out of the modern LFL. It's like if a band releases all their old demo songs as "new material". It comes off as uninspired.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at the concept sketches. But I don't need to see them brought to the screen.

As an aside, I watched "honey I shrunk the kids" with my little ones recently and it was amazing to see how Joe Johnston brought all of those tricks from his Lucasflm days into that movie. So many seamless models and matte paintings to help create the world

Funny you should say that - since all of the new SW movies since Disney took over are reusing old concept sketches as "new" ships. the split Engine X-wing is the new T-70... and if anyone denies that their just plain wrong... BUT I don't think uninspired is right for McQuarrie. Its a concept sketch... not a finished design. something to give the imagination a place to grab on to the "story" that Lucas was trying to pitch... and for the model guys to start from... I'd go 100% reverse and call them down right Inspiring :D.

Jedi Dade

Chewie! Get us outta here!

solo-corridor.jpg

Note: I am aware of a few missing bits, such as the floor grates. And there are a number of modelling shortcuts here. Because this has to be printable at 1:144...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back