Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I read this thread from the beginning. That was a long slog and about 2.5 hours I will never be able to recover in the short time I have left on this planet. The one thing that is manifest in this topic is that there can never be any agreement, but those that hate will always make a huge amount more noise than those that don't.

did KK even like Star Wars before getting this job?
Kathleen Kennedy doesn't really "like" anything, except maybe money. She's a producer who's never really had any passion projects of note. She's been a producer for decades for movies that were other people's passion projects like Raiders and Jurassic Park, but her decades long career has always about putting asses in seats en masse. Don't doubt she's very good at her job, but her job before heading LFL was never to care about what she was making. Her job had always been to simply make sure the movie stayed on budget and make sure it made a good return investment. I'm probably one of Kennedy's least defenders, but I know when she's to blame, and when she's not. I wouldn't blame her entirely for TLJ, but I do blame her very much for Solo not selling. Selling movies is her job, and frankly Solo just didn't sell. It was undermarketted and not very good product to sell in the first place. Should she lose her job over it? IDK, I've always been a baseball kind of guy. She's on thin ice with me, and I think she'll be watched more closely after Solo's abysmal returns.

forcefemaleKK.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...person-to-make-star-wars-movies/#376aed143b10

"Rumors surfaced this week that Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy might step down from company leadership in the aftermath of*Solo: A Star Wars Story's*box office failure. This comes amid rampaging racism, sexism, and other extreme toxic behavior*from a segment of mostly male (and mostly white) fans who've taken to harassing female actors and artists for existing. This is all part of a larger bigoted backlash of complaints against*Star Wars*for incorporating people of color and other types of diversity into the previously predominantly white male storytelling."

How's that for painting with a broad brush?

“Treat Solo as a learning experience involving a good film that just fell victim to a few unfortunate choices regarding release dates and marketing”.

:lol You just cant make this crap up what a Loon! :lol.

Nice try on the spin slick! :facepalm

Its interesting and rather sad that the current word associated with Star Wars is toxic. Instead of owning up to their mistakes Disney have allowed and even encouraged their vast network of "trash" media outlets and some highly paid employees to create a false narrative that the only problem here is with a small yet vocal group of fans and at the same time allow the brand to be tarnished. They should all be fired.

"The happiest place in the world" Gimme a break.

I dunno, it makes me bummed out but I'm not offended by it because I'm not being toxic.
#notallfans
#notallhashtags
#damnihatehashtags

That type of stuff is why the backlash is coming. Are there some sexists and racist being blowhards? yup, but the vast, VAST majority of complainers are just sick of bad movies and virtue signaling in said bad movies. We dont care about what people look like or what sex they are, just stop blowing the horn, make a good movie, cast whoever you like, and sell it on the movie, not by the sex or race of an actor. Carie is beloved by all, Billy Dee is beloved by all, Mark is, JEJ is, Harrison is. And that is because they were the best for the job, and were loved because of their characters and good acting. When you say the force is female, or dismiss claims of Rey being too good at things in TFA and TLJ (I like TFA and still think this is a fair criticism) or other female characters who are written badly as being sexist, it is really putting off fans, both old and new.

It is pretty straightforward. People who like TLJ, do not apply their standards equally when criticising other Star Wars movies to justify TLJ. This thread is full of false comparissons!

To me, TheWook was being honest. If you dont like space slugs, so be it. You dont find them credible, okay. But TlJ was a continuous slap in the face over what an audience would tolerate.

It starts with the opening crawl talking about "brave rebels" running away and it just goes downhill from there.

I think TLJ is an incredibly flawed film, so don't put me in the love camp...

But everything you just said is 100% opinion.

No matter what ANYONE says, movies have always been, and always are, subjectional. You don't get to judge somebody's opinion, even if it is an absurd one, as a sign of denial or other inability to reason.

Kathleen Kennedy doesn't really "like" anything, except maybe money. She's a producer who's never really had any passion projects of note. She's been a producer for decades for movies that were other people's passion projects like Raiders and Jurassic Park, but her decades long career has always about putting asses in seats en masse. Don't doubt she's very good at her job, but her job before heading LFL was never to care about what she was making. Her job had always been to simply make sure the movie stayed on budget and make sure it made a good return investment. I'm probably one of Kennedy's least defenders, but I know when she's to blame, and when she's not. I wouldn't blame her entirely for TLJ, but I do blame her very much for Solo not selling. Selling movies is her job, and frankly Solo just didn't sell. It was undermarketted and not very good product to sell in the first place. Should she lose her job over it? IDK, I've always been a baseball kind of guy. She's on thin ice with me, and I think she'll be watched more closely after Solo's abysmal returns.

And this is based on what? You talk to her? Read her biographies? Producing a-list movies for the better part of 30 years does not happen without passion.

When you say the force is female, or dismiss claims of Rey being too good at things in TFA and TLJ (I like TFA and still think this is a fair criticism) or other female characters who are written badly as being sexist, it is really putting off fans, both old and new.

I don't think we can poopoo Rey's skills without holding hundreds of male characters up to the same standard.
She spent years fending for herself on a planet that's arguably harsher than Tatooine.
I think I can let her fights with Kylo go unchallenged by nerd critique.
Aside from that, why spend the time and energy to try to tear down a badass female main character? Little girls should have a kick ass figure to look up to as well. Not everything has to be about justifying our Luke Skywalker hero worship, right?

Yea but the Luke Skywalker character was written off and killed as a cowardly bitch. And so a lot of fans have an issue with that. And that isn't the only problem with how his character was written.

Tossing the saber over his shoulder....

Milking the space manatee....

Training Ray nothing....

Basically DOING nothing!

It was sickening to watch.

Hey bro, I agree. And in TFA I defended Rey from many. But to dismiss the fact that she, especially in the context of TLJ, has had no real challenges that seemed difficult for her to overcome is not fair. As presented I have no issues with her fights with Kylo in Tfa, I just think that if she had actually been defeated at some point there would be a place for her to grow. I was banking that she would have her moment in cloud city, being bested by her opponent, and learning that she must grow past her own insecurities or whatever to gain her true potential. And again, this has nothing to do ith Rey being female, and I do hold many males to this same standard, just that I believe they waisted her potential by making her easily overcome everything, even having to mentor Luke back from the edge. But instead of making her dynamic, she is fairly one dimensional. Hell, even John Mclaine had a hard time defeating the bad guys and took many licks

She is defeated in TLJ when she fails to bring Kylo back. It was never about an actual fight, which is more interesting to me personally. Higher stakes you know? Anyone can lose a hand, but once your soul is lost?
Just my take.

But there is no reason to want him back? Especially for the fans since he killed Han, and for her he was the only father figure she had and one of her role models. Most of my issues with Rey come from TLJ, I can defend TFA till I am blue in the face, and that is why TLJ upsets me. They wasted her potential IMO. But to take that and say that fans are sexist is just rediculous

*edit* and of course you could say the same for vader. But luke wanted to redeem him after learning he was his father. Kylo still has no direct connection to Rey

The Rey, Mary Sue phenomena is undeniable. It is as if she wins every spelling bee regarding the Force without ever being told what letters are. People try to parallel her to Luke, but Luke *had* some training and Vader wanted to keep him alive. False comparisson.

The issue is that some people *love* the stupidity in the movie.

It is absolutely ridiculous.

And that is just one example howthe movie *IS* painfully, OBJECTIVELY stupid. Seriously, Rey swung a lightsaber at a rock to train. She didnt even use a sword to defend herself in the past, she use a staff.

Yes, "objectively" stupid. Like the person who cant use the wheel because it is the wrong color.

I have provided perfect examples in this thread and on otherz, but some people support/love/embrace the grossly open stupidity of TLJ. This goes far beyond suspension of disbelief or childish enlightenment.

Hey, didja hear KK is getting let go. Wonder why?

If you think a lone fighter gets a direct line to the guy in charge of the fleet?

As Bill Engwall would say, " here's your sign."

Gets to put him on hold? Takes out ALL the antiaircraft defense?

You are broken.

Do not attack me. Take a step back and observe what you hoo-hum, blindly accepted. Seriously, its bad.

Every scene in TLJ movie dares you to flinch at the mind-numbing stupidity the director and writers could dispense.

So yes, objectively stupid. You dont see it, not my fault, the rest of us are speaking with our wallets.

Last edited:

Look, I'm not out to convince anyone they should like these flicks. All I'm saying is there are other points of view out there and the way many of you express your disdain betrays an attitude of superiority over those of us who are still having fun. Dislike it all you want. Don't imply I'm a moron or a rube or a dirty casual or whatever for liking these movies.
It's not objective. No art is, that's what makes it art.

Of course it is, and I can say the same to you, dismissing my reasoning for not liking the movie. However that has nothing on my main point, and the point of those dissenters, is that being called sexist or racist for not liking a movie or the politics being pushed into said movies is not fair nor accurate for the vast majority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back